NRG eVgo Freedom Station thread for San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
Randy, no L2 station at Chula Vista?

I know that at the Carlsbad location, there seems to be quite a bit of demand for additional L2 stations based on plugshare comments and the fact that the couple times I've stopped by, the L2 plug was in use. I'd really like to see 3-4 L2 stations to go with most of these QC stations. Given that there are probably at least 2-3 times as many L2 capable vehicles around here than CHAdeMO capable vehicles, it only makes sense...

Yes, it is to the left of the Freedom station (looking at the first photo). It is a ChargePoint brand L2 station at this location...Andy and Monica were using it at the time, and I was trying to crop out some of the tools, cases, and other stuff :)

Randy said:
Getting a DC Fast Charge at the new just-commissioned eVgo station down in Chula Vista on Broadway in the Costco/Walmart center near Petco.

This Broadway Plaza works for me, now I will start the 60 day trail and top off every morning before I get home. I've added the first 2 pic on Plug Share, You should add those cool pictures too.

This means I can take the Leaf anywhere after I get home, don't have to charge at home in the morning.

I'm also 1 exit down from the San Ysidro outlet mall EVGo stations, but I hardly go there unless it's for IHOP.

They are not open today, do I need the FOB key or can I charge as a guest by calling from the Station?

Fred

KMG365 said:
Tried to charge in Fashion Valley today, but the DCFC was out of service . . . again. :evil:
"Again?" not "still?" I see no evidence the QC has worked any time in the past 3 weeks. It would make this a very bad time for eVgo to phone people asking us to subscribe. I wonder if that particular QC station is harder to repair because it also has a Frankenplug/Combo outlet and repair parts are as scarce as Frankenplug equipped cars.

On the bright side I see two (almost surely duplicate) listings in Plugshare for an eVgo QC station at Rancho Penasquitos Towne Center by 56 and Black Mountain Road. It's built but not yet powered on, and there's a picture of it on Plugshare. I hope this and the recent Broadway opening are more indicative of eVgo's direction than are the ongoing problems at Fashion Valley.

Plugshare also shows that the SDSU Blink station is still down - 3 months now. It makes me wonder how it would be if eVgo bought all of Blink's QC stations which they don't seem to want to operate anyway. They'd need to swap out the equipment, but that's probably a small cost compared to the electrical infrastructure and finding an agreeable host in the first place. It would mean a monopoly of course, but one restrained somewhat by the settlement agreement with the state. The requirement that they offer a la carte charging means that they couldn't lock out new competitors from entering the market later.

I forgot to post...I used the Nissan Chademo station in Fashion Valley last Wednesday (January 15)....It was back up and operational then....

Can anyone give me pointers on how to update PlugShare? I am logged on, but do not know how to add to the listing. I found out this Saturday Morning that the Mall Security will come unlock the lot with the NRG L3 if you call them after hours at 619-299-2428. So now it really is 24/7. As it stands, security locks a chain across the entrance to the lot after hours.

Graffi said:
Can anyone give me pointers on how to update PlugShare? I am logged on, but do not know how to add to the listing. I found out this Saturday Morning that the Mall Security will come unlock the lot with the NRG L3 if you call them after hours at 619-299-2428. So now it really is 24/7. As it stands, security locks a chain across the entrance to the lot after hours.
Why don't you just click on the entry and click Edit via the web site?

On the iOS app, you can add info by clicking the Edit Info button.

cwerdna said:
Graffi said:
Why don't you just click on the entry and click Edit via the web site?

On the iOS app, you can add info by clicking the Edit Info button.
In the Android app you click the icons in the top right. The pencil icon takes you to a screen to edit the listing. More frequently used, the text block icon is to "check in" and note whether or not you were able to charge. The most recent check-in determines whether someone browsing stations sees a red or green status.

I edited the original location and requested that the new location be merged with the original since it's currently redundant. I guess it might be nice to split up the Blink/eVgo stations, but I don't see a good way to do that via the web site editor.

eVgo sent a letter asking me to convert my 60 day trial to another plan, billing to start only after they have 7 stations operating. Five are up now. They include a map showing the other two near term completions I knew about from this thread, plus another planned in Escondido. And the map shows the location of the remaining 12 stations required under the consent agreement, planned to open through 2014.

Map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7snaqph3lojclo/evgo.jpg

walterbays said:
eVgo sent a letter asking me to convert my 60 day trial to another plan, billing to start only after they have 7 stations operating. Five are up now. They include a map showing the other two near term completions I knew about from this thread, plus another planned in Escondido. And the map shows the location of the remaining 12 stations required under the consent agreement, planned to open through 2014.

Map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7snaqph3lojclo/evgo.jpg

What were the other plans?

Wennfred said:
What were the other plans?
Two plans are of interest to those with QC ports. http://www.evgonetwork.com/san-diego-county/

$15/month + $0/session + $0.10/minute
$0/month + $5/session + $0.20/minute

The second one costs you nothing if you don't use it. You can pay even more if you insist, by not registering an account. The break-even point (where the subscription plan starts saving money) is at a surprisingly small number of charges per month, especially if you consider that you like me typically charge for just 15-20 minutes.

Compared to gasoline on a cost per mile basis, it's way too expensive. Compared to Nissan's battery rental program as a car payment to extend the worry free life of your car a few more years, it's cheap.

Unfortunately eVgo's security certificates are incorrectly configured on their web server, so nobody can sign up for accounts. Well, nobody that is who wouldn't also be comfortable posting their credit card number and billing address to cyber criminals. You can't even sign up over the phone, as they direct you to the web to enter payment information.

There will be some action over the next week or so with the 3 stations under construction....Transformers upgraded, wires pulled, meters set....Should be soon....

Back