No 1 Year Battery Test

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rktennis

I have had my '11 Leaf since August '11. I brought it to the dealer in August '12 for the 12-month service. They were supposed to rotate tires and do the battery check (for the warranty). However, now that I am setting up my next service appt for 15,000, I see that they didn't do the battery check last time. They did reprogram a software update. When I asked the service guys, they kinda shrugged it off and said that this will count as my 1 year checkup for the battery. When I expressed concern that I may be out of warranty for the battery, the service rep didn't seem too concerned.

I think I was the first one to bring in my Leaf for the 12 month service and they were just unaware of what I meant by the "battery test" back in August. I am in Georgia and brought it to Regal Nissan.

Does anyone have any advice for me in determining if I am current on my battery warranty? Should I contact Nissan corporate? Anyone have a phone # specific to this?

Thanks!

Federal law requires Nissan to demonstrate that NOT having maintenance done caused a problem before they can refuse to cover it under warranty. Otherwise everyone who missed an oil change would then be refused all warranty coverage. They couldn't demonstrate that, especially since this isn't really maintenance, it's data gathering...plus you already took it in specifically to get it done and the dealer is the one that screwed up. Just get it done soon, and you'll be fine.

"Battery check" is a misnomer, in fact they are doing a "Driver check". They just pull data that reflects on your practices as a driver. Do you frequently top off, leave battery at a high SOC for extended periods, etc.

DesertDenizen said:
"Battery check" is a misnomer, in fact they are doing a "Driver check". They just pull data that reflects on your practices as a driver. Do you frequently top off, leave battery at a high SOC for extended periods, etc.
Sorry, that isn't correct. They do provide a report to you which resembles what you say, but they also get detailed information on the battery state which is transmitted to Nissan.

Ray

planet4ever said:
DesertDenizen said:
Sorry, that isn't correct. They do provide a report to you which resembles what you say, but they also get detailed information on the battery state which is transmitted to Nissan.

Ray

Hmm, my info was from the Dispute Resolution Program at NNA. Wonder why they dissembled?

Rktennis said:
I see that they didn't do the battery check last time.

How exactly did you determine that? I ask because I was vaguely suspicious that my first battery check may not have actually been done, as I didn't get the printout, just a generic 100pt safety inspection, reference to the 12v battery etc, and when I contacted the dealer later to ask about the 'star' battery checkup page they indicated I'd have to come in and get the car hooked up in order to "print" it, which I suppose could be true but could also mean just re-running it because maybe they didn't do it.

I didn't go back, just chose believe that if they said it was done, I was OK warranty wise since I had the emails and there was a record of a visit that had no other purpose. They were implying that they could see it in the computer, but to

For our second check (at 2 years, only 17K miles but I am assuming it's a "whichever comes first" situation), we switched dealers - this time we got the printout but not any concrete indication about whether they could see online if the first one had been done.

So I'm curious - did you find something online related to your car that shows the dates of the checks, or...?

Also, I know nobody has yet had their third check, the first non-free one but still 'required' for the warranty, anybody have any speculation on how much they are going to charge for that? What's the mileage/car age at which it's required?

wsbca said:
Rktennis said:
I see that they didn't do the battery check last time.
How exactly did you determine that? I ask because I was vaguely suspicious that my first battery check may not have actually been done, as I didn't get the printout, just a generic 100pt safety inspection
Good point. The same thing happened to me. The dealer I went to the first time was fairly clueless. Later I went to a different dealer for a warranty item. This service department handles lots of LEAFs, and I mentioned my concern to the adviser. He said, "Hang on a minute," and dug around for a while in his computer. He then told me the check had been run, and gave me the date, which I later verified was when I had gone in. So the records are there; you just have to get to a dealer where they know how to access them.

Ray

Just get it checked. Based on what we've seen, it's almost a certainty that you'll get plenty of "stars" and be told that your battery is the picture of health. That should indemnify you just fine.

Thanks all.

I went today for the service. They confirmed that the 12 month check was NOT done last time. They still didn't seem worried about the warranty. They just wrote it up as the "12 month" check. Got 5 stars in 3/4 categories and 4 stars in 1 category. So, it checks out fine.

I forgot to ask when I should come in for the "24 month" battery check, but I'll probably go in August just to get back on track with the timing.

Thanks again!

Back