Nissan VP discusss Leaf range issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkeys

Here's a story about a Nissan VP discussing how using heating/air conditioning will affect the Leaf's range at an event in Japan.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20101014/186445/

I'm not sure the part about Nissan dispatching a rescue truck if you run out of charge is applicable to the US market or not.

Full disclosure: I actually work for the news organization which wrote the article.

pkeys said:
Here's a story about a Nissan VP discussing how using heating/air conditioning will affect the Leaf's range at an event in Japan.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20101014/186445/

I'm not sure the part about Nissan dispatching a rescue truck if you run out of charge is applicable to the US market or not.

Full disclosure: I actually work for the news organization which wrote the article.

Thanks, very interesting article. Yamashita says the car will travel further at a higher rate of speed, than at a lower rate of speed. I must be reading that wrong....in any case, he is confirming that the cooling, and especially the heating, carries with it a substantial range penalty. All of which is academic on my 25 mile or less daily commute, but can be critical for longer trips.

sjfotos said:
Thanks, very interesting article. Yamashita says the car will travel further at a higher rate of speed, than at a lower rate of speed. I must be reading that wrong....in any case, he is confirming that the cooling, and especially the heating, carries with it a substantial range penalty. All of which is academic on my 25 mile or less daily commute, but can be critical for longer trips.

Here is the explanation ...

The air conditioner rapidly consumes electricity stored in the battery of the Leaf. Even when the vehicle is traveling at a low speed in heavy traffic, it can travel less distance because the air conditioner works for a longer time. The air conditioner consumes more energy when used for heating than when used for cooling.

pkeys said:
I believe the Nissan LEAF comes with 3 years of "complimentary roadside assistance." Although details of this feature are scarce on the Nissan LEAF website. There is no description of how this service would work and what is covered.

evnow said:
sjfotos said:

Here is the explanation ...

The air conditioner rapidly consumes electricity stored in the battery of the Leaf. Even when the vehicle is traveling at a low speed in heavy traffic, it can travel less distance because the air conditioner works for a longer time. The air conditioner consumes more energy when used for heating than when used for cooling.

Thanks EVNOW, that makes sense when you isolated the statement for me. All I can saw is 'wow', that is one substantial energy draw.....not critical for me, but something to keep in mind.

IBELEAF said:
I wonder if batteries in Leaf will produce heat and can this heat be used to warm up cabin.

This has been discussed in another thread, and the short answer is "No". There is simply too little heat generated (even if you also collect from the inverter and the motor).

In the VW Golf CityStromer there is an Eberspächer Diesel-heater - the same which is used in many ICE cars in cold climates.

No surprise here. AC is a power hog and a car has quite a bit of glass. Using an electric heater is very inefficient and in an Ev can draw as much as 6 kw. I don't think Nissan thought that some may just want heated seats in areas like CA as a separate item, that would have made quite a bit of sense as an option to save energy.

It should be noted that when heating the air conditioner is only used for the front windshield defrost. My previous car was like this too, and when I was done defrosting the front windshield I would turn the vent output to no longer defrost the windshield and the air conditioner would quit running.

There is NO reason to have range anxiety. Range anxiety? We don't need no stinking range anxiety!

:lol:

RangeExtender.jpg

And you don't need to pull that extra weight around with you, like the Volt has to do.
;)

EVDRIVER said:
No surprise here. AC is a power hog and a car has quite a bit of glass. Using an electric heater is very inefficient and in an Ev can draw as much as 6 kw. I don't think Nissan thought that some may just want heated seats in areas like CA as a separate item, that would have made quite a bit of sense as an option to save energy.

Seatheating actually requires surprisingly little heat - 150W per seat is plenty, even in Norway.

My EVs diesel-based heater outputs 5 kW, and that is more than enough. For continuous running when it's around freezing point outside, 2 kW output is required.

I think the Leaf is about the same size as the VW Golf III (Rabbit in the USA).

Back