Nissan shutting out third-party apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ultimate way to move forward is to figure you how to directly control the car via bluetooth and the CAN bus(es). Ingineer likely has this figured out... Nissan has some fine folks and some putzes. Best to deal directly with the car and NOT carwings. Open source and paypal to support the developer...

z0ner said:
I posted the petition in the new, overly optimistic by-invitation-only "Leaf Owners' Panel" group on FB.
We'll see if they revoke my membership :)
Wouldn't this whole "third party app" thing and the pending policy change have been a great topic to bring up with the new "Leaf Owners' Panel" to gauge potential reactions before announcing it to the entire owner community? Yet another missed opportunity to "do the right thing."

mwalsh said:
"...We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling..."

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0002984/quotes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now if we could only get a 'refreshing bit of candor' from Nissan. :roll:

As irritating as this is, the LEAF app at least works. They fixed the login problem they initially had. So sorry about all the Windows Phone users. :(

I'm sure the LEAF owners group they just finished slapping together will put a stop to this and the ok button on the NAV. I still remember the days when we bitched about spray on carpet :lol: :lol:

Do you think that there is any real privacy or security issue here? The answer is no. Remember, this is from the same people who make us push OK every time...

Cinnabar said:
I would think my privacy and my security would be my choice, no?

TomT said:
Do you think that there is any real privacy or security issue here? The answer is no. Remember, this is from the same people who make us push OK every time...

Cinnabar said:
I would think my privacy and my security would be my choice, no?

Ya, the hypocrisy will drive us crazy.

here to hoping that all this negative feedback will make them change their mind. I love using LeafLink and can't stand the Nissan app. Maybe if they recently came out with a new app that worked well it would not be so bad, but the app has not had an update since 2010 when it was introduced.

richard said:
GM's response to similar concerns was brilliant by comparison:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-45786.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hate even speculating, or giving them the benefit of the doubt, but Japanese companies may not understand that a customer may want to use a tool that was not authorized and distributed by the company. There has to be some reason GM got this right, and a year later, Nissan gets it so wrong.

Does Nissan even realize there have been no improvements to the Carwings interface since Day 1? How many improvements have Tesla pushed out in the same time frame?

Ford have opened up their vehicle API to allow app developers to write apps to run IN THE CAR, not just on phones. They get it.

Nissan have gone totally in the wrong direction here. Many LEAF purchasers are geeks who want to experiment and tinker. Nissan risk alienating the geeks and encouraging them to go to Ford. If only the Focus EV had quick charging and somewhere to quick charge it at I'd start contemplating Ford as my next EV. If Nissan want to introduce an 'app store' and certify 3rd party apps, that would at least allow 3rd party apps to exist. This is nonsense.

palmermd said:
the app has not had an update since 2010 when it was introduced.

Pretty sure mine has updated several times on Android. One update was to fix the login issues it suffers from. They made it better but not a total fix.

EVDRIVER said:
I'm sure the LEAF owners group they just finished slapping together will put a stop to this and the ok button on the NAV. I still remember the days when we bitched about spray on carpet :lol: :lol:
They did stop that in MY13.

mwalsh said:
Change.org petition for you to sign:

https://www.change.org/petitions/nissan-motor-corporation-usa-reverse-the-decision-restricting-the-use-of-third-party-apps-for-carwings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May be we should make a separate thread for this - to get more attention.

bummer dudes. i dont have skin in this game... i dont even have a smart phone. im too cheap and poor to pay for 'data'. I am still paying $45 for 'regular' phone calls and 'texting'.

1st world problem imo.

i can still plug my car in and drive to work the next day, pay taxes, and consume things; all is well.

i will still take my leaf with 'no 3rd party apps' vs $4.00 a gal any day.

keep cool nerds, keep cool.

JPWhite said:
palmermd said:
the app has not had an update since 2010 when it was introduced.

Pretty sure mine has updated several times on Android. One update was to fix the login issues it suffers from. They made it better but not a total fix.

969wz4.png

I guess there were a few, but nothing but text and bug fixes, and they were so minor, I never noticed. I do recall the update earlier this year that added 2013 "stuff", but that did not matter to me with a 2011.

CMYK4Life said:
bummer dudes. i dont have skin in this game... i dont even have a smart phone. im too cheap and poor to pay for 'data'. I am still paying $45 for 'regular' phone calls and 'texting'.

1st world problem imo.

i can still plug my car in and drive to work the next day, pay taxes, and consume things; all is well.

i will still take my leaf with 'no 3rd party apps' vs $4.00 a gal any day.

keep cool nerds, keep cool.
YO...CMYK4life: You're my kinda guy. Keep it simple, and enjoy life, right? :mrgreen:

Huh, bad day for my LEAF. I lost my first capacity bar this morning (16 months / ~22k miles in), then literally 8 minutes later, this newsletter arrived. Talk about coincidences! :shock: As others have said, things are still working here, so "immediately" definitely has a different meaning for Nissan corporate than for most of the world. I just tested all functions of LEAF Link, including the charge timer, and everything is still good.

It will be interesting to see what they do, if anything, to shut out 3rd party apps. The only way they could effectively do this is to also shut out their old app versions by changing the communication protocol. I wonder if Nissan is willing to do that, potentially leaving many confused/angry users who don't realize they have to update the app?

At any rate, if this does happen - eventually - as threatened, it's gonna be a pain for me to deal with... :(

Back