Nissan`s participation on this forum

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
I disagree. I believe the biggest single thing that is upsetting people is that Nov.-Feb. orders are receiving earlier delivery months/dates than the Sept./Oct. order people.

Its the perverse* nature of man, you should be happy that a fellow leafer is getting his, no matter when he/she ordered.

*Christians would call it the evil nature of man.

LEAFfan said:
SteveInSeattle said:
I think the biggest single thing that upsets people is that the dates move.

I disagree. I believe the biggest single thing that is upsetting people is that Nov.-Feb. orders are receiving earlier delivery months/dates than the Sept./Oct. order people.
I think this will be true utill Nissan starts pulling VIN numbers from Nov-Feb people. Then that will be the biggest single thing. ;)

HIOJim said:
I think this will be true utill Nissan starts pulling VIN numbers from Nov-Feb people. Then that will be the biggest single thing.

Unless Nov-Feb people agree that a mistake was made when they were given a VIN ahead of 2010 orders and they see the fairness of correcting the mistake. ;)

leafkabob said:
HIOJim said:
I think this will be true utill Nissan starts pulling VIN numbers from Nov-Feb people. Then that will be the biggest single thing.

Unless Nov-Feb people agree that a mistake was made when they were given a VIN ahead of 2010 orders and they see the fairness of correcting the mistake. ;)
Indeed! I've noticed that most people have a great respect for fairness, especially for people they don't even know! /sarcasm

Seriously, I was totally cool with a July/August delivery date until I got that VIN. Now it's like the first time I saw my daughter with ultrasound - she was suddenly real to me. I admit it's a bit of a stretch but the same effect is at play here. I would be upset if they took it away now. :(

sdbonez said:
So then, to the Nissan Corporate folks actively monitoring this forum, and speaking as someone who drives a ton of innovation, product design/development/commercialization for a company who's market cap is ~3x Nissan's, this is where it's at. My hat's off to you for what you've done so far, I'm just encouraging you to take it a step further. A sense of community with your customers means we'll cut you a lot more slack when you falter and applaud even louder when you're successful. Speaking from experience, there is a fine line to walk but it can and should be done...and from what I know of you all, Nissan's culture and market position make you the ideal company to do it. I think you'll find that the rewards you reap back from a perception perspective, never mind the feedback into your product development and design cycles, will be invaluable. Unfortunately, that means having someone like Mark Perry on the forums vs. your new-media marketing team though it certainly takes both types of people to make it all work in harmony.

ok..i'll shut-up now :) and applause for the fine work you've done thus far.

In another thread, I suggested a one-hour MODERATED chat with a Nissan to clear the air. Pretty simple, really. You only answer the questions that pertain to the greatest number of people and, in one hour, there is no more FUD. That's all that was/is required to put this behind us and turn us back into fanboys.

HIOJim said:
leafkabob said:
HIOJim said:

Indeed! I've noticed that most people have a great respect for fairness, especially for people they don't even know! /sarcasm

Seriously, I was totally cool with a July/August delivery date until I got that VIN. Now it's like the first time I saw my daughter with ultrasound - she was suddenly real to me. I admit it's a bit of a stretch but the same effect is at play here. I would be upset if they took it away now. :(

HIO, no offense intended by what I said or what I'm about to say. :)

Whether I know you or not, I still think the right thing to do is to correct any out-of-order mistakes, even if it means taking back VINS. I can't help but think that folks who ordered in Jan/Feb and got April delivery dates and VINs knew they were getting a gift at the time. Anyone who spends any amount of time on this forum is well aware of the Sept/Oct orders that have been patiently waiting for 7 months so far. It seems pretty incredible to believe that everyone wouldn't see the inequity of 2011 orders getting filled before 2010 orders.

That said, I'm not totally convinced Nissan is going to do that. Some folks have said they will, but I have not seen anything definitive from Nissan to that effect. And I will also acknowledge that if a VIN was rescinded, it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.

Enjoy your Leaf -- whenever you get it. :)

leafkabob said:
HIO, no offense intended by what I said or what I'm about to say. :)

Whether I know you or not, I still think the right thing to do is to correct any out-of-order mistakes, even if it means taking back VINS. I can't help but think that folks who ordered in Jan/Feb and got April delivery dates and VINs knew they were getting a gift at the time. Anyone who spends any amount of time on this forum is well aware of the Sept/Oct orders that have been patiently waiting for 7 months so far. It seems pretty incredible to believe that everyone wouldn't see the inequity of 2011 orders getting filled before 2010 orders.

That said, I'm not totally convinced Nissan is going to do that. Some folks have said they will, but I have not seen anything definitive from Nissan to that effect. And I will also acknowledge that if a VIN was rescinded, it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.

Enjoy your Leaf -- whenever you get it. :)
No offense taken ;)

I too am not convinced that Nissan is going to rescind anyone's VIN, if only because these people are setting up financing and insurance using this data. Because of this I believe they will get the 'forgotten' months their cars from the pool of unassigned VINs.

I hope we all get our cars soon.

HIOJim said:
I too am not convinced that Nissan is going to rescind anyone's VIN, if only because these people are setting up financing and insurance using this data. Because of this I believe they will get the 'forgotten' months their cars from the pool of unassigned VINs.

Nice rationalization on your part. But really, how big of an inconvenience are those matters? Are you out any dollars? Many of us in the currently "forgotten" category have been inconvenienced as well. We all have our own stories (mine is just paying yet another $1,000 to maintain a car that I was hoping to have retired by now - as well as the angst of not knowing wheteher I will qualify for the $5,000 CA rebate that was a key component of reserving early).

While I certainly hope that there are enough cars currently on our shores to go around, if not, Nissan should make it right by those of us that tried our best to be early adapters.

I hope we all get our cars soon, too.

Those with Sep & Oct 2010 Order dates an NO assigned VIN ...
just MIGHT want to call Customer Service (877-664-2738) and politely remind them that your Order APPEARS to have been "Skipped Over", and you REALLY would like CS to "Esculate" your particular case, PLEASE!

Be polite, these CS folks are ONLY the messengers.

Of course, you could relax, and wait to see how Nissan will handle this "Skipped Over" situation. With more production in Japan, there will be enough cars "soon", we all hope.

Two deep breaths, repeat, ... relax!
"Keep waiting, these are not the LEAF-droids you want." :lol:

kingwindwardnissan said:
....there are people listening to your concerns.....

Yes, but the fact is they simply don't really know how to respond in a format we'd consider adequate. Point in case....the last time they tried direct interaction with us.

I'm talking with them right now to see if something beneficial for all can't be worked out. Stay tuned! :)

garygid said:
Those with Sep & Oct 2010 Order dates an NO assigned VIN ...
just MIGHT want to call Customer Service (877-664-2738) and politely remind them that your Order APPEARS to have been "Skipped Over", and you REALLY would like CS to "Esculate" your particular case, PLEASE!

Not exactly sure how many times we are supposed to do this? I have lost count. After numerous previous conversations and chats over the past few weeks (or more), on Friday I was told that I would hear something by Monday, on Monday I was told another 24 hours.

For those of you who have not yet called/chatted with CS multiple times, I would not discourage you from following Gary's advice. If nothing else, it keeps the pressure on CS to keep the pressure on Nissan. Besides inquiring about my case, I also usually ask if they might be able to explain the situation. If it was a "mix-up" then it would be nice to have that formally acknowledged. If it was part of a grander marketing strategy, it would at least take some of the guess work out of the equation.

mwalsh said:
I'm talking with them right now to see if something beneficial for all can't be worked out. Stay tuned! :)

Thanks mwalsh for being our embassador. Can't think of anyone else better, esp. since you've already gotten your leaf. A big thanks!

I have a suggestion for Nissan. Nissan needs to put in a software enhancement that I'll call "turnaround". Most everyone charges at home, especially until more remote charging stations are out there. Once you put your house address into the navigation unit you could select a button that says "turnaround". It would track the mileage from your home and basically let you know when you've hit the "point of no return". Stay tuned, this is different than how it calculates remaining mileage.

Let's say you go on a 30 mile (i.e. 60 mile round trip) trip. The first 10 miles would be at freeway speeds of 65 mph or more. The second 10 miles would be at stop and go city traffic. The third 10 miles would be up a gentle incline. The "Turnaround" feature would keep track of the mileage vs energy consumption so it would know the last 10 miles on the return trip will use more energy than usual. It would also know by how you are stopping and starting from stoplights how much energy is being consumed by your driving style. And third it would know that the incline will mean you use less energy on the return trip.

I think it would give a much more accurate picture of whether you'll be able to make it home. After 900 miles with our LEAF, my experience has been that it keeps a running picture of the history of the energy usage of the car. It seems to think that whatever your latest usage is (i.e. some have indicated it uses the last mile and a half to gauge future use), is what the car will experience in the future. By keeping track on a turnaround trip the system would know to keep a running total from your home point and not assume that future energy use will always be like the immediate past. It should be very easy just to have the system use the history from when the "Turnaround" feature was turned on and compare that to the amount of energy left in the battery.

If anyone agrees with this, how do you think is the best way to get a decision maker at Nissan to respond to this.

ERG4ALL said:
If anyone agrees with this, how do you think is the best way to get a decision maker at Nissan to respond to this.
Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I think it would be pretty hard to program the computer to make accurate adjustments for terrain changes (ie. less energy used downhill, more up).

That's true. I suppose that the GPS would have to be used for altitude which I doubt they have tied in to any of their software yet but it could be done. Thanks for your input, it helps to refine the idea.

ERG4ALL said:
That's true. I suppose that the GPS would have to be used for altitude which I doubt they have tied in to any of their software yet but it could be done. Thanks for your input, it helps to refine the idea.

I'm not sure that altitude is really that relevant... seems to me the only factors necessary to do the "reversify" are the speed, distance, and energy consumption. Assuming all other parameters are fixed (e.g. outside temperature, weight carried, etc), that should be enough for the computation, right?

Back