Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorphin said:
Some differences I've found with my 2013 SV, the "parking lights" (what even the manual says are there), aren't. I turn on the headlights/parking lights and the turn signal bulbs turn on. Also, there are no body side turn signals (at least not on my SV).
Using the turnsignal lamp for parking lamps is common for US market cars. Have the side repeaters moved to the side mirrors? Remember the 2013 cars are now made in TN.

Leafboy said:
sorphin said:
Some differences I've found with my 2013 SV, the "parking lights" (what even the manual says are there), aren't. I turn on the headlights/parking lights and the turn signal bulbs turn on. Also, there are no body side turn signals (at least not on my SV).
Using the turnsignal lamp for parking lamps is common for US market cars. Have the side repeaters moved to the side mirrors? Remember the 2013 cars are now made in TN.

there are no more side repeaters.. they were removed to 'declutter' and some crap with the airflow.. in other words.. lies. Well, the parking/turn signal mixture is actually ONLY if you don't opt for the LED headlights (which you have to get the quick charge port, auto lights, etc to get). LED headlights = seperate parking lights.. (which means they're just reusing the headlight fixtures they were using for 2012, etc).

So I read all these posts (yes, all 23 pages), and many folks changes their minds on their finds, so I'm wondering what to do with my 2013.

Is there a consensus on what to do, and has anything changed for the 2013? Safety is more important to me, so I will probably not screw around with the high beam/fog lights, but everything else looks fair game from what I can tell.

lion said:
So I read all these posts (yes, all 23 pages), and many folks changes their minds on their finds, so I'm wondering what to do with my 2013.

Is there a consensus on what to do, and has anything changed for the 2013? Safety is more important to me, so I will probably not screw around with the high beam/fog lights, but everything else looks fair game from what I can tell.
Go with what you feel comfortable doing. As you start you may realize that you want to do more. All is good.

After doing some testing, I probably want to replace the parking lights, blinkers, dome light and plate lights. I was hoping someone created a wiki entry collecting data about which bulbs provided most bang for the buck (and are still functional).

I tried some 22w H11 single LED bulbs to replace the halogen high beams and have to say I am quite impressed. The original halogen bulbs looked very yellow and were dimmer than the low beam LED stock lights. I had tried some 68 LED H11 bulbs before but they were not bright enough to work as high beams. The 22watt LED bulbs are quite bright and the white color matches the low beam color pretty good. I also like the instant on effect of the LED high beams when signaling. Bulbs are rated at 1200 lumen.

Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.

First picture is the low beam LED lights for reference.

wcw8jHbXNlF_Gf3GbPPJc_6anNLcMvmUtWCsF2DKYHQ=w276-h207-p-no

This is a picture of the bulb both off and on.

8lJPnDOVyGKDKBDuOvzEyn_GUL2IEiFd3Kpu2cdzJno=w155-h207-p-no
E1rOrx3EmacnovfFE6xNwB3zxaEdRxfPK_cxoRc_pEM=w155-h207-p-no

Here is with low and high beams together.

397JMcuZN4kXeP8nTbui0mlH8B3BRCaqEO8fWkMC3vY=w276-h207-p-no

My 2011 requires H9 bulbs, which are 2100 lumens, compared to only 1350 lumens for H11 bulbs. The VLeds "H11"spec shows only 1200 lumens, somewhat more than half as bright as the stock H9 bulb.

DeaneG said:
My 2011 requires H9 bulbs, which are 2100 lumens, compared to only 1350 lumens for H11 bulbs. The VLeds "H11"spec shows only 1200 lumens, somewhat more than half as bright as the stock H9 bulb.

Not sure how accurate the specs are, but to my eye, they appear brighter than the stock halogen high beam bulbs and close to as bright as the OEM low beam LED lights. May be that the LED color temperature make them appear brighter than they are.
Here is a picture I just took in the dark to try to show how the high beam 22w (lower lights) compare to the OEM LED (upper lights)

w0o3oVtiJoKRX5zEkVH8zEO_XwH21b2WO4tDiiJz73o=w276-h207-p-no

Let me apologize in advance.
I'm sure my question is answered at least 3 times, with discussion and conflicting opinions in these 24 pages of posts.

But I'll ask it anyway.
The stock 2012 Interior compartment filament bulbs are dimming in different situations.
LED's do not dim. Can't. Impossible.

However, by using a voltage sensing LED driver (built in), they can be made to appear to dim.

Has anyone actually purchased LED interior replacement bulb that (appear to) DIM like the stock bulbs, and can supply a link?

Thanks in advance.

KillaWhat said:
I'm sure my question is answered at least 3 times, with discussion and conflicting opinions in these 24 pages of posts.

But I'll ask it anyway.
The stock 2012 Interior compartment filament bulbs are dimming in different situations.

However, by using a voltage sensing LED driver (built in), they can be made to appear to dim.

Has anyone actually purchased LED interior replacement bulb that (appear to) DIM like the stock bulbs, and can supply a link?

Thanks in advance.
LEDs are very much dimmable. Don't know where you heard that! They work just fine in the overhead lighting.

Leafboy said:
KillaWhat said:

But I'll ask it anyway.

Thanks in advance.
LEDs are very much dimmable. Don't know where you heard that! They work just fine in the overhead lighting.

Overhead lighting using LED's are dimmed using PWM drivers. (Pulse width Modulation)
PWM dimming switches the LED on and off at a high rate. The effective IF becomes the time-based average of IF when the LED is on and when it is off. When using the PWM method of LED dimming, the on/off frequency is much faster than the human eye can detect to avoid visible flicker.

Traditional or Analog dimming changes the forward current across the LED, we call it "running the LED Hot". It's not true dimming, cannot provide true 0 to 100 control, generates a lot of heat (deadly to LED's) dramatically shortens their life, and causes wide swings in output color.

Didn't want to argue with you.
Just want a link for an LED that will dim in the leaf that somebody Actually has and it works.
Thanks

I have bought the non-dimmable versions. The soft-off feature of the lights that allows dimming, basically kills them after some time. I am sick of replacing them so will probably switch back to Edison bulbs.

Well I have LEDs in all of my interior lighting and it all works fine. They have been there for two years without any problems. Both of my cars have been converted. Never a problem.

Leafboy said:
Well I have LEDs in all of my interior lighting and it all works fine. They have been there for two years without any problems. Both of my cars have been converted. Never a problem.

Do they "soft off?"
If yes, then do you have a link?
I have only found one source that makes true "dimmable" LED bulbs this size, and they are way expensive and not available until late August.
If I burn out a $2 Chinese LED, that appears to Dim, every couple of years, it would be worth it to me in the long run.
Thanks

Dome Light

I confess I was unable / unwilling to make the 30 mm Festoon bub fit into the dome light position.
I re-ordered these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111102170177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which state they are 27-28 mm, but they are overall smaller mounting points, and they fit in easily.

They are certainly bright enough, and white enough, and since they a 4 X 3 SMD configuration they spread the light our quite a bit.
Pretty happy with them.

Did the license plate lights also.
It's nice. Very White.
But I wanted them to scream LED, so I should have pushed the K temp higher (6300/ 6500).
You know, that "just a hint of blue" you get with a really nice HID setup in an AUDI or similar.

Not sure If I'm going any further with this.
I now have:
HID high beams (not sure I would recommend this)
LED "FOG" lights - VERY happy with this, although useless as fog lights (DRL's)
White White LED Interiors throughout - Nice
LED License - Nice

Turn signals - Leaving them alone for now
Amber side repeaters...... we will see.

Can you please show/link me which bulbs you got for the fog lights?

Also, would love to know how many bulbs of what kind you used for the other interior lighting, or did you use those eBay LEDs for all interior lighting and the license plate? Thanks for sharing the link!

Back