Nissan Leaf 2011 wont lock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larz

I recently purchased a used Nissan LEAF 2011 in very good condition and only 75k km driven. It's been flawless up until recently, when I can't seem to lock the car with my key. If I press the lock button on the key, the blinkers flash twice just like normal, but it doesnt make that "beep beep" sound as it usually does when I lock it. The doors do not get locked either. Ive tried to google it, and ive made sure all the doors are properly closed, there is no spare key inside the car, as I only have 1 single key. This is not a massive problem for me right now, as I only use the car from my home to work, and its closed in a garage at both places, but I want the doors to lock anyway.

Notes:
- I live in norway, its -15 degrees celcius, could the cold have something to do with it?
- It worked up until a couple days ago
- I have an "EU control service" scheduled in march, so if I cant fix it ill ask them to look at it then.
- I have no spare keys

**SOLVED**

If anyone comes across this post in the future, the reason I couldn't unlock the vehicle was because the locks were literally frozen. Had to heat the car up in a heated garage to fix it

Does the lock button on the driver's side work? What about the one on the outside door handle (hold the fob near the button, then press the door handle button)?

https://youtu.be/7fqIQ0JK5eo

alozzy said:
Does the lock button on the driver's side work? What about the one on the outside door handle (hold the fob near the button, then press the door handle button)?

https://youtu.be/7fqIQ0JK5eo

The physical switch-like lock button next to the doorhandle on the inside works, but I’ve not tested the button on the doorhandle on the outside. I will test that tomorrow morning

Check that all the doors AND the hatch are all shut. IIRC, if one is ajar, when you press the external buttons with key fob on you, it won't beep. I don't recall if it locks the remaining doors.

It's odd that you can lock the doors with the driver's side door lock button, but not with the FOB. That suggests the fault is with the FOB...

Have you tried replacing the FOB battery? If the battery is weak, the wireless range diminishes greatly. When low enough, the only way to start the car is by holding the FOB right next to the ON switch.

alozzy said:
It's odd that you can lock the doors with the driver's side door lock button, but not with the FOB. That suggests the fault is with the FOB...

Have you tried replacing the FOB battery? If the battery is weak, the wireless range diminishes greatly. When low enough, the only way to start the car is by holding the FOB right next to the ON switch.

Let me clear up that, I can’t lock all doors at once with that door lock button, only the door that I lock with that physical switch on each door. I just tested what you said earlier, and when I press the unlock button on the outside of the car, it beeps fast like 5 times, but it doesn’t unlock the car. If I use the “emergency key” on the door, it only locks/unlocks the door that I stick the key into.
If I press the electronic lock button inside the car, the one that should lock/unlock all doors, I just hear a “clicking” sound without any doors locking/unlocking

Little update: Found out that the trunk door (the door on the back) actually unlocks/locks when I click the unlock/lock button on the key fob. However, all the other doors will not

cwerdna said:
Check that all the doors AND the hatch are all shut. IIRC, if one is ajar, when you press the external buttons with key fob on you, it won't beep. I don't recall if it locks the remaining doors.

If that were the case you would get a multitude of rapid beeps like 5 or so?

Larz said:
alozzy said:

Let me clear up that, I can’t lock all doors at once with that door lock button, only the door that I lock with that physical switch on each door. I just tested what you said earlier, and when I press the unlock button on the outside of the car, it beeps fast like 5 times, but it doesn’t unlock the car. If I use the “emergency key” on the door, it only locks/unlocks the door that I stick the key into.
If I press the electronic lock button inside the car, the one that should lock/unlock all doors, I just hear a “clicking” sound without any doors locking/unlocking

oh...that's a thing? I guess I changed mine thru LEAF Spy because I can unlock all the doors with the button on the door (I NEVER use the fob...)

BUT the 5 fast beeps is an error condition and since you didn't hear it when you locked the car (which usually means a door is ajar) then it is telling you that pushing the button w/o fob detection is not allowed. Your fob battery is on life support.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

If that were the case you would get a multitude of rapid beeps like 5 or so?
Nope. My Leaf emitted no beeps. To be clear, I'm talking about the buttons on the car, not the fob.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a time I've ever gotten either of my '13 Leafs to do that. I recall hearing the very rapid beeps before on my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid.

This problem is sounding more and more like there is an old key fob in the car, with a battery that barely puts out any power. Those rapid beeps occur when you try to lock the car with a smart key inside.

LeftieBiker said:
This problem is sounding more and more like there is an old key fob in the car, with a battery that barely puts out any power. Those rapid beeps occur when you try to lock the car with a smart key inside.

This may be the clue to solve the missing fob dilemma!

This has been solved. I parked my car today in a heated garage at work, and after a few hours, the car unlocks like normal. Apparently the leaf doesn’t like -15 degrees Celsius. It also seems like it had “saves” my locking/unlocking attempts, as when I approached the car, it rapidly unlocked and locked a few times.

Larz said:
This has been solved. I parked my car today in a heated garage at work, and after a few hours, the car unlocks like normal. Apparently the leaf doesn’t like -15 degrees Celsius. It also seems like it had “saves” my locking/unlocking attempts, as when I approached the car, it rapidly unlocked and locked a few times.
The key fob will also be weak in the cold, so the behavior you noticed may be a dance between the fob and car.
I would put in a new fob battery.

SageBrush said:
Larz said:
The key fob will also be weak in the cold, so the behavior you noticed may be a dance between the fob and car.
I would put in a new fob battery.
Good advice. All batteries have trouble in the cold: after all, it's just chemistry.

Back