Nissan is to donate 400 electric car quick chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the map below to see a view of the commitment of Europe to DC charging, as compared with the US.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210740974077298891697.0004ac7e66a8121c75d8e&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

oh gasp.......and barf

KevinSharpe said:
Herm said:
in places like England very possible to do it with a small QC network, its not a big island.
that's very true... here's a rough map of our proposed Fast Charge network;

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthrea...r-quick-chargers?p=11848&viewfull=1#post11848

The EV community proposes to finance and own this network... we will deploy both CHAdeMO and Mennekes (AC) at every location and Tesla DC at a few.... we are tired of the lacklustre government attempts to deploy a network and commercial entities who fail to deliver what we want or need.

What's the structure/charge for electricity in Great Britain when you implement the use of the QCs? How much you would charge the EV QC users and what is the cost of electricity for your community network?

ElizaBeet said:
Check out the map below to see a view of the commitment of Europe to DC charging, as compared with the US.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210740974077298891697.0004ac7e66a8121c75d8e&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh gasp.......and barf[/quote]

at $7-9 a gallon, its not hard to understand~!

Phoenix said:
What's the structure/charge for electricity in Great Britain when you implement the use of the QCs? How much you would charge the EV QC users and what is the cost of electricity for your community network?
The typical UK wholesale price is 5p per kWh although many would like to buy 'green' electricity which costs more.

We have no final decision on the fee model but want to keep it simple and use 'pay as you go'... one idea that is popular is to charge a fee for the time connected to the charger and to make it twice as expensive after ~25 minutes as an incentive for the driver to vacate the parking space. Our driver surveys indicate that Leaf drivers will pay £5 to £10 for a full charge IF the charger is located on-route (value drops significantly if you ask drivers to deviate from their route).

Everyone involved in this project sees it as a community service that might become a sustainable business after many years.... we have our meeting with Nissan next week so maybe they will be supportive of community ownership.

KevinSharpe said:
The typical UK wholesale price is 5p per kWh although many would like to buy 'green' electricity which costs more.

So, about the equivalent of 7.85 pennies here in the colonies. Certainly cheaper than most of California. Are there any other electricity costs? How much are all the charges? Demand charge, connection charge, some monthly feel-good charge? I can't imagine that in the land of high taxes that there isn't some onerous tax of some kind?

Energy charge - charges pay per kWh (5p?)

Transmission charges

Transmission Use of System (TNUoS)

Residual Cashflow Reallocation Cashflow (RCRC)

Distribution Use of System (DUoS) charge

Availability, or Supply Capacity, this is the maximum kVA allowed for a particular supply in a particular network, and is set before the supply is energised. This maximum capacity is charged every month despite the fact the maximum demand may be lower. If this availability figure is breached, the maximum demand may be charged instead and this figure may stay as the chargeable figure for twelve months depending on the distribution area. Alternatively, it can just return back to the original availability figure. (NOTE: this is much like our Demand Charge in California, except you're stuck with the payment for a YEAR, instead of just a month, for exceeding the level !!!)

DUoS day/night

Reactive power

Standing charge

Climate Change Levy

A p/kWh tax on certain electricity use. Exempt supplies include domestic supplies and supplies using less than the de minimis threshold of 1,000 kWh / month.[2]

Settlement charge

Data collection charge

Meter operation charge

VAT (tax)

TonyWilliams said:
I can't imagine that in the land of high taxes that there isn't some onerous tax of some kind?
it's not that complex really... certainly nothing like running a business based in Portland, OR with employees in NY which is something I deal with every month.

Bottom line, we can make this happen if we want to...

ebill3 said:
What can you say, but WOW.

Not to worry, the west coast I5 corridor is moving right along, isn't it? ;)
Oh yea ... on the geological time scale. Hundreds of quick chargers ... but none to the country with the highest amount of Leafs. Count that as another blow to being anywhere near someone smart.

I've been 'radio silent' following our meeting because I had hoped that some of the topics we discussed 'off the record' would have been public knowledge by now…. anyway, while we wait, we do have some good news that we can share following our Meeting with Nissan...

As your probably aware, in the first quarter of next year ~65 Nissan DC Chargers will be donated to key locations around the UK. The locations chosen are designed to allow Leaf drivers to easily travel along major routes with 24/7 access, no cost for 12 months, and with an installed life of 5+ years.

Nissan have produced a UK map of target locations that is very similar to that published by David Peilow and used in the ZCW proposals for a national fast charge network;

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthrea...r-quick-chargers?p=11848&viewfull=1#post11848

While I can't share details of the sites chosen by Nissan at this time I have no doubt that you will be pleased with many that have been selected.

The deployment of ~65 chargers will be followed by an aggressive push to sell 4-5,000 per year using the low cost hardware announced by Nissan on 30th November. In Europe Nissan expect this charger to retail "well below" €10,000 for the outdoor version.

Interestingly, the low cost charger has no 'back office' capability and it's clear from our discussions that Nissan are fully aware of UK EV drivers desire to use PAYG services without subscriptions…. I can't really say much more about that now ;)

Lots more will emerge during the first part of next year… at this time I suggest we let Nissan run with the deployment of ~65 chargers and get ready to step in should they lose their way :)

what is really boils down to is change. EV adoption's ability to overcome the entrenched prejudices of the oil saturated consumer is only step one of the battle.

the antiquated tiered charging system by electrical companies who charge the same rate for someone cranking their A/C because they dont want sweat trickling down the crack of their ass verses someone who is simply trying to get back and forth to work is simply wrong.

but it will all change. its hard for us to notice the walls being moved when our noses are jammed up against the wall and we are being squeezed from both ends, but the wall is moving.

eventually electric companies will come around to address EV owner needs but it wont happen when its 6,000 people in their 3 million member customer base.

its really just sad because this is where we need to go and the sooner we get there, the better off we are. its not just gas, or the economy or the air we breathe. its progress and that progress has to carry the burden of 1950's thinking of expansion is good, consumption is good.

well, it might have been ok when there were 4 billion of us, but now there is 7 billlion and it aint ok anymore

DaveinOlyWA said:
what is really boils down to is change.
agreed... with close to hundred DC Fast Chargers and a few thousand public L2's we will be well placed to start the shift to EV's in the UK early next year :)

+1
Couldn't have said it better.
DaveinOlyWA said:
what is really boils down to is change. EV adoption's ability to overcome the entrenched prejudices of the oil saturated consumer is only step one of the battle.

the antiquated tiered charging system by electrical companies who charge the same rate for someone cranking their A/C because they dont want sweat trickling down the crack of their ass verses someone who is simply trying to get back and forth to work is simply wrong.

but it will all change. its hard for us to notice the walls being moved when our noses are jammed up against the wall and we are being squeezed from both ends, but the wall is moving.

eventually electric companies will come around to address EV owner needs but it wont happen when its 6,000 people in their 3 million member customer base.

its really just sad because this is where we need to go and the sooner we get there, the better off we are. its not just gas, or the economy or the air we breathe. its progress and that progress has to carry the burden of 1950's thinking of expansion is good, consumption is good.

well, it might have been ok when there were 4 billion of us, but now there is 7 billlion and it aint ok anymore

http://www.amperaownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=247&p=1319#p1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I managed to find which corner of the car park they'd hidden the charger in Abingdon Waitrose and the Polar post was in use charging a Nissan Leaf. There were also a couple of engineers fixing up the Nissan fast charger, I didn't ask but suspect maybe it was their Leaf.

http://yfrog.com/h85rqqgoj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scaled.php

attachment.php

Does anyone else stare at the guts of a DCQC and think "I bet Chris Howell could design a DCQC that does the same thing in about 1/10th the space and cost?"

Back