Nissan is to donate 400 electric car quick chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinSharpe

Tom Barnard, Communications director of Nissan GB tweeted today "Nissan is to donate 400 electric car quick chargers to organisations and companies across Europe. We hope to get 65+ for the UK."

How nice! Too bad they don't share the same commitment in the U.S.

KevinSharpe said:
Tom Barnard, Communications director of Nissan GB tweeted today "Nissan is to donate 400 electric car quick chargers to organisations and companies across Europe. We hope to get 65+ for the UK."

TomT said:

KevinSharpe said:
Maybe Nissan has noticed that the US has shown it’s own lack of “commitment” to the DC infrastructure, like:

SAE manipulated by American manufacturers, putting CHAdeMO DC standard in doubt, while (so far) only producing vaporware alternative.

The failure of West coast government agencies to meet their commitments to install pilot program DC chargers, a year after LEAF sales began in these early rollout areas.

Previously donated charger (Vacaville) with perfect location to offer proof-of concept, shut down without rational reason, just as LEAF deliveries began.

And lets not forget the political risk of investing in a a country where a bat-ass-crazy-republican party, based on a fox-news version of reality, may increase subsidies to petroleum fuels after the next election.

Check out the map below to see a view of the commitment of Europe to DC charging, as compared with the US.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210740974077298891697.0004ac7e66a8121c75d8e&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
TomT said:

KevinSharpe said:
Maybe Nissan has noticed that the US has shown it’s own lack of “commitment” to the DC infrastructure, like:

SAE manipulated by American manufacturers, putting CHAdeMO DC standard in doubt, while (so far) only producing vaporware alternative.

The failure of West coast government agencies to meet their commitments to install pilot program DC chargers, a year after LEAF sales began in these early rollout areas.

Previously donated charger (Vacaville) with perfect location to offer proof-of concept, shut down without rational reason, just as LEAF deliveries began.

And lets not forget the political risk of investing in a a country where a bat-ass-crazy-republican party, based on a fox-news version of reality, may increase subsidies to petroleum fuels after the next election.

Check out the map below to see a view of the commitment of Europe to DC charging, as compared with the US.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210740974077298891697.0004ac7e66a8121c75d8e&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the way to combat that is to let the confusion get worse? No, the way to combat all that is to get chademo chargers on the streets and used NOW, while the alternatives and so-called-standard chargers & cars don't exist. Bluray vs. HD-DVD proved that it's not standards organizations the select competing standards - it's not even consumers - it's backroom deals and aggressive distribution - like sony signing on WB and including bluray in all PS3's; if Chademo chargers were available at Starbucks across california (as a not-vey-well-thought-out but interesting example), how many consumers are really going to say, "Oh, but I'll buy the car with the STANDARD plug, in spite of the fact that those plugs DON'T EXIST and the competing plug is at every starbucks across the west coast."

Nissan probably recognizes the sad reality that if they were to donate 400 quick-chargers for use in the US, many of them would likely suffer the fate of that one installed in California several months ago which has not yet received permission by PG&E to be turned on, or would suffer from fiendish demand charges. :cry:

johnr said:
Nissan probably recognizes the sad reality that if they were to donate 400 quick-chargers for use in the US, many of them would likely suffer the fate of that one installed in California several months ago which has not yet received permission by PG&E to be turned on, or would suffer from fiendish demand charges. :cry:
I am forced to agree. Even if they did donate the equipment, there wouldn't be enough takers.

It is not clear to me how important Quick Chargers will be to adoption of electric cars. First, the Leaf is the perfect commuter car but a very impractical road trip car since we would have to QC EVERY HOUR to travel any distance at freeway speeds. Second, QC is not good for the battery. Third, there will never be enough Quick Chargers to insure that there is no extra waiting time, so planning travel using QC will always be a gamble.

The Leaf is the perfect family second car for in-town commuting. I don't plan to ever use QC-- If I need to travel beyond the Leaf range I would take the ICE car. I think talking about QC does a disservice to the marketing of the Leaf-- customers are lead to believe that they should wait for the infrastructure that most of them don't need in the first place.

SteveInSeattle said:
It is not clear to me how important Quick Chargers will be to adoption of electric cars. First, the Leaf is the perfect commuter car but a very impractical road trip car since we would have to QC EVERY HOUR to travel any distance at freeway speeds. Second, QC is not good for the battery. Third, there will never be enough Quick Chargers to insure that there is no extra waiting time, so planning travel using QC will always be a gamble.

The Leaf is the perfect family second car for in-town commuting. I don't plan to ever use QC-- If I need to travel beyond the Leaf range I would take the ICE car. I think talking about QC does a disservice to the marketing of the Leaf-- customers are lead to believe that they should wait for the infrastructure that most of them don't need in the first place.

fully agree +1

I am basically two hours from the NC coast. A quick charger between Raleigh and Wilmington, at a rest stop, would be the perfect thing to get me (and many from my immediate area) to the coast. The same may be true of some areas in Massachusetts (I grew up 90 minutes from the camp on Cape Cod where I spent many summers)... and so forth. Once in these vacation areas, a LEAF is nearly perfect. Without the charge in the middle, though, I will either need to use the ICE car or rent one.

SteveInSeattle said:
It is not clear to me how important Quick Chargers will be to adoption of electric cars. First, the Leaf is the perfect commuter car but a very impractical road trip car since we would have to QC EVERY HOUR to travel any distance at freeway speeds. ...
I don't see QC as enabling road trips, but I do see it as enabling days where I have LOTS of errands to run, and as enabling trips one city over, like to nearby OC or LA. I've done the OC on L2, but it only worked because it was a pleasure trip and we purposely went to shopping locations that had L2 available. QC would let me do more general travel.

nlagnew said:
I am basically two hours from the NC coast. A quick charger between Raleigh and Wilmington, at a rest stop, would be the perfect thing to get me (and many from my immediate area) to the coast. The same may be true of some areas in Massachusetts (I grew up 90 minutes from the camp on Cape Cod where I spent many summers)... and so forth. Once in these vacation areas, a LEAF is nearly perfect. Without the charge in the middle, though, I will either need to use the ICE car or rent one.

How much would you pay for that charge that allowed you not to have second ICE car?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, making a trip that depends on QC is a gamble until you have more than one QC EVSE in an area. What if you get to your first planned QC point with 20% battery charge left and it's broken? you have just bought yourself either renting an ICE car to continue or a 6 hour stop for L2 charging before you can either continue (hoping that it'll be fixed before you need to return) or (most likely) just head home.

DoxyLover said:
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, making a trip that depends on QC is a gamble until you have more than one QC EVSE in an area. What if you get to your first planned QC point with 20% battery charge left and it's broken? you have just bought yourself either renting an ICE car to continue or a 6 hour stop for L2 charging before you can either continue (hoping that it'll be fixed before you need to return) or (most likely) just head home.
Given the experience so far with the QC chargers in Portland (neither is functioning) I am not very optimistic that I will ever be able to try my QC port. This I think is a real threat to widespread EV acceptance. Horror stories of stranded EV owners who expected to be able to charge, but didn't get it b/c Blink or somebody disabled the charger, will only serve those who want to keep the EV from succeeding.

Check out this conservative website http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/11/06/chevy-volt-again-suspected-house-fire, I count at least three anti-EV articles on the front page alone. It seems some people will do anything to quash EV's.

The press release:
http://newsroom.nissan-europe.com/uk/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=85548

NISSAN TO DONATE ‘QUICK CHARGERS' TO SPEED DEVELOPMENT OF NATIONAL EV CHARGING NETWORK
•400 quick chargers to be given away free by Nissan
•Installation in high profile locations starting February 2012
•Charge to 80% in 30 minutes

Nissan is accelerating plans for a European-wide Quick Charge (QC) network for electric vehicles by giving away 400 new quick charging stations free of charge.

These new points will boost existing networks and give EV customers greater freedom and flexibility by effectively extending the range of their car.

Countries across Europe have been asked to pitch for a charging network and the best ‘bids' will win an allocation of chargers. In the UK, Nissan has put in a bid for 65 chargers which would be strategically located at selected service stations along the motorway network, creating a ‘pathway' on major routes across the UK.

Contact has already been made with the three largest motorway service station chains who have a total of 100 stations across the country.

In addition, Quick Chargers would be located in some city centers and other key locations such as airports.

Nissan currently has a network of 32 EV dealers, 26 of which already have a Quick Charger installed. The remaining six dealers will be the first in the UK to install these new smaller units, the total number of dealers with QCs is expected to be 150 by the end of 2012.

By recharging batteries in a fraction of the time, this radical step will help drive more customers towards electric vehicles such as the Nissan LEAF. The advanced lithium ion batteries in Nissan LEAF can be recharged from 0 to 80% capacity in just 30 minutes using a quick charger.

Although a range between charges of up to 110 miles will be enough for most Nissan LEAF owners, the spread of Quick Charger networks will allow drivers to travel longer distances in a day. Recharging a Nissan LEAF with a quick charger takes a little longer than it takes to refuel a conventional car and is significantly cheaper.

Jim Wright, Managing Director, Nissan Motor (GB) Limited said: "While we are confident that the LEAF's range will satisfy most customers' needs, we understand that some will need to make occasional longer journeys. Our vision is to create a ‘pathway charging network' which would remove so called ‘range anxiety' and open up pure EV ownership to a whole new spectrum of drivers."

The move follows an agreement between Nissan and five of Europe's leading utility and EV infrastructure supply companies to speed up the provision of the latest quick chargers developed by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., which are cheaper - up to half the previous price - and smaller than before. The target is to have a network of quick charge stations across Europe with several thousand units in place by the end of 2012 and tens of thousands by 2015.

To kick start this ambitious programme Nissan is now announcing it will give 400 units away to Zero Emissions Mobility partners and volunteering companies across Europe, all of which are enthusiastic backers of the company's ambitious electro-mobility plans.

A selection process has already started and winners will be awarded chargers according to how they fulfill a strict list of criteria developed by Nissan. These include convenient and accessible charger location, installation starting February 2012 and free or discounted charging for all Nissan LEAF customers for at least one year.

"With a significant number of QCs available across Europe, EV owners will be able to recharge quickly no matter where they go. We believe this is essential for the mass adoption of EVs," said Pierre Loing, Vice President Product Planning & Zero Emission Business Unit, Nissan International SA.

With "several thousand" quick chargers across Europe by the end of next year, this will make travelling throughout the country possible on quick chargers. "Tens of thousands" by 2015 should make it fairly convenient as more EV's become available. The 400 "donated" ensure that there are chargers installed where it makes the most sense from an infrastructure standpoint, rather than a market standpoint. In addition, 150 quick chargers will be at dealers... Wish we saw something like this here...

BTW, if you spread 3000 (minimum to get "several thousand" installed next year) quick chargers evenly across the EU, that would put them ~23 miles apart. 20,000 (minimum to have "tens of thousands" by 2015) would spread them less than 10 miles apart.

padamson1 said:
Check out this conservative website http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/11/06/chevy-volt-again-suspected-house-fire, I count at least three anti-EV articles on the front page alone. It seems some people will do anything to quash EV's.
I looked up NLPC after noticing a series of anti-EV articles.

It's not just conservative. As in, "Ronald Reagan was a conservative American patriot." It's the mouthpiece of Richard Mellon Scaife, who would sacrifice anything and anyone, including his country, in the interests of his money and power. NLPC screeds are occasionally echoed by bloggers, and sometimes even by semi-respectable newspapers. I looked at what they had written in the past month. A few were attacks on some opposition politician, or on national health care, as you might expect from a conservative think tank. Most are attacks on EV's, on solar power, and on wind power.

The Scaife family owned Gulf Oil, now Chevron. When you read an article by NLPC you need to do a little translation, e.g.: Chevron Oil Warns that EV's Risk Dangerous Explosions and Fire. Or, OPEC Research Determines that Solar Power Poses Environmental Danger.

SteveInSeattle said:
First, the Leaf is the perfect commuter car but a very impractical road trip car since we would have to QC EVERY HOUR to travel any distance at freeway speeds. Second, QC is not good for the battery. Third, there will never be enough Quick Chargers to insure that there is no extra waiting time, so planning travel using QC will always be a gamble.

I will be stopping every hour and a half, not every hour because I don't drive 75 mph like some do. 60mph is plenty fast enough and I like to rest a bit, eat a snack, use the restroom, etc., after an hour and a half drive. The LEAF is my PRIMARY car, not just a commuter car. I've already QCd three times and it's great! Your statement about QCing not good for the battery is just FUD. I've talked to several people that were here when these battery packs were QC tested for a simulated 8yrs./100K miles and all of them support the first person's report: "No more degradation of the battery pack than L2 charging with QCing up to 6 times a day." Taxis are being QCd in Japan more than once a day. Soon, we will have even faster QC stations so we won't even need larger battery packs.
Maybe YOU don't need or want QCing, but you will be in the minority.

Back