Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiU2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmF1dG9ibG9nLmNvbS8yMDIzLzA3LzI3LzIwMjMtbmlzc2FuLWFyaXlhLWVtcG93ZXItZndkLXJvYWQtdGVzdC1yZXZpZXcv0gFXaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYXV0b2Jsb2cuY29tL2FtcC8yMDIzLzA3LzI3LzIwMjMtbmlzc2FuLWFyaXlhLWVtcG93ZXItZndkLXJvYWQtdGVzdC1yZXZpZXcv?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

I think being a little underwhelming out of the gate has lowered the bar for Ariya, which in turn is helping it surpass reviewers expectations.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The other thing is the price. I am fairly confident that soon, very few will be selling anywhere near their MSRP. Nissan has already announced tax credits for Ariya LEASES so could be a chance to see if the car is worth the chance on the cheap.

Do keep in mind; Nissan is no longer allowing purchases of leases but with current interest rates, waiting a bit might not be all that bad an idea.
Indeed. If Nissan wants to actually move Leafs and Ariyas in the US, they're going to need take advantage of the $7500 Federal tax credit commercial leasing loophole and pass most/all of the savings onto lessees and/or offer dirt cheap leases.

As for no longer being able to purchase Nisasn EVs at end of lease (https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US), that is definitely very off-putting too. They would get more takers if they dropped that and did the above.

Info verified thru Ray at Everett Nissan. TBH; I am shocked. I do fairly well at seeing reasons why things happen even when they are completely against my grain but there is logical path on this one.

Another thing to note; lease cash to cover fed credits NOT available on the LEAF. so they are pushing everyone hard to the Ariya and despite the price, I know bunch who have done exactly that. Some are very happy, no one is upset and more waited for AWD so still in the evaluation stage but prelim comments has everyone happy.
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/nissan-brings-back-ev-lease-purchase-option written July 24, 2023 claims:
"Nissan has quietly brought back the purchase option on its EV leases. According to a bulletin sent to dealers, consumers leasing a new Nissan Leaf hatchback or Ariya crossover now have the ability to buy their EV at lease end.

The change took effect nationally on July 6th on both Leaf and Ariya leases when the latest Nissan deals were introduced. If you were hoping to buy your EV once your lease was up, this could be an important development."

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US still hasn't been updated to reflect this and was last updated in Jan 2023. Hmm...

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
Indeed. If Nissan wants to actually move Leafs and Ariyas in the US, they're going to need take advantage of the $7500 Federal tax credit commercial leasing loophole and pass most/all of the savings onto lessees and/or offer dirt cheap leases.

As for no longer being able to purchase Nisasn EVs at end of lease (https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US), that is definitely very off-putting too. They would get more takers if they dropped that and did the above.

Info verified thru Ray at Everett Nissan. TBH; I am shocked. I do fairly well at seeing reasons why things happen even when they are completely against my grain but there is logical path on this one.

Another thing to note; lease cash to cover fed credits NOT available on the LEAF. so they are pushing everyone hard to the Ariya and despite the price, I know bunch who have done exactly that. Some are very happy, no one is upset and more waited for AWD so still in the evaluation stage but prelim comments has everyone happy.
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/nissan-brings-back-ev-lease-purchase-option written July 24, 2023 claims:
"Nissan has quietly brought back the purchase option on its EV leases. According to a bulletin sent to dealers, consumers leasing a new Nissan Leaf hatchback or Ariya crossover now have the ability to buy their EV at lease end.

The change took effect nationally on July 6th on both Leaf and Ariya leases when the latest Nissan deals were introduced. If you were hoping to buy your EV once your lease was up, this could be an important development."

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US still hasn't been updated to reflect this and was last updated in Jan 2023. Hmm...

Ok, so a half step in the right direction. Ariya's are getting full discounts to cover fed incentive losses while LEAF (last word) is not.

Although MANY I have talked to prefer the LEAF, they are still likely moving to the Bolt due to better pricing.

I was iMessaging a neighbor 2 doors down due to a power outage at home (while I was at work) then trying to figure out if Comcast was still down and the power back. Power had gone out from 6:33 pm until 7:29 pm for no known reason today (PG&E automated calls and email said they affected 1081 customers). Comcrap didn't return until about 11 pm so I was unable to monitor my cameras while away from home. Couldn't tell if power or Comcrap was out or both. I have my networking equipment, NVR and cameras on UPSes and they can run for awhile, but the power outage this time knocked out Comcrap within 30 minutes.

Anyway, he mentioned to me he got an Ariya. Sounds like he leased, as I brought up ineligibility for tax credit and he replied about leasing loophole, which I know about. I replied it'd be great if they passed on the most or of the $7500 in savings to the customer. He said, they did and then some. He said there is actually dealer competition due to dealers ordering too many due to pre-orders then people dropping out.

He felt he got a great deal (he mentioned $280 a month but I didn't ask him terms and how much down). Prior to all of this, I know they have a Model Y, Mach-E, a Bolt + a BMW Z4. He mentioned in the iMessage he planned to sell the Mach-E (not sure if it's leased and he's going to buy it out and sell it) and his Bolt lease ends next month which he said high higher monthly payments. They've had Leafs and Bolts (earlier year what they have now) before.

cwerdna said:
I was iMessaging a neighbor 2 doors down due to a power outage at home (while I was at work) then trying to figure out if Comcast was still down and the power back. Power had gone out from 6:33 pm until 7:29 pm for no known reason today (PG&E automated calls and email said they affected 1081 customers). Comcrap didn't return until about 11 pm so I was unable to monitor my cameras while away from home. Couldn't tell if power or Comcrap was out or both. I have my networking equipment, NVR and cameras on UPSes and they can run for awhile, but the power outage this time knocked out Comcrap within 30 minutes.

Anyway, he mentioned to me he got an Ariya. Sounds like he leased, as I brought up ineligibility for tax credit and he replied about leasing loophole, which I know about. I replied it'd be great if they passed on the most or of the $7500 in savings to the customer. He said, they did and then some. He said there is actually dealer competition due to dealers ordering too many due to pre-orders then people dropping out.

He felt he got a great deal (he mentioned $280 a month but I didn't ask him terms and how much down). Prior to all of this, I know they have a Model Y, Mach-E, a Bolt + a BMW Z4. He mentioned in the iMessage he planned to sell the Mach-E (not sure if it's leased and he's going to buy it out and sell it) and his Bolt lease ends next month which he said high higher monthly payments. They've had Leafs and Bolts (earlier year what they have now) before.

It does appear the pendulum is on its way back right now. I know someone who is over the moon on a purchase getting $11K+ plus off. Still $40K out the door but he is really loving the car. Says its a major "refined" feel upgrade over his LEAF.

Happened to look at a "fully loaded" Ariya yesterday at the dealership where I had the VCM firmware updated for the Recall. I did appreciate the interior styling and that it has something that I miss on my 22' SV+... front ultrasonic sensors for proximity detection. I wasn't subject to the siren call of "new car smell", as a sinus surgery a few years ago removed about 80% of my sense of smell, but still there's that "giddiness" one gets when beholding a shiny new car :). All this of course was the "hindbrain" thinking. A few seconds later, the "forebrain" kicked in and informed me that I was retired and on Social Security, which of course means no "tax breaks", etc., and that my year and a half old Leaf with only around 7000 miles now was perfectly fine and I owned, it not the Bank. I just smiled and drove home, in my now less dusty Leaf, since the Dealership gave it a needed "Bath"...:).

fester said:
Happened to look at a "fully loaded" Ariya yesterday at the dealership where I had the VCM firmware updated for the Recall. I did appreciate the interior styling and that it has something that I miss on my 22' SV+... front ultrasonic sensors for proximity detection. I wasn't subject to the siren call of "new car smell", as a sinus surgery a few years ago removed about 80% of my sense of smell, but still there's that "giddiness" one gets when beholding a shiny new car :). All this of course was the "hindbrain" thinking. A few seconds later, the "forebrain" kicked in and informed me that I was retired and on Social Security, which of course means no "tax breaks", etc., and that my year and a half old Leaf with only around 7000 miles now was perfectly fine and I owned, it not the Bank. I just smiled and drove home, in my now less dusty Leaf, since the Dealership gave it a needed "Bath"...:).

No tax breaks means leasing and taking the tax breaks upfront on discounts. Did you ask about that? 6 months ago, that was a tough thing to get. Today, its not.

https://ktla.com/morning-news/2023-nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-review/amp/

Reviewers that are not neck deep in EV details (charging rate/battery tech, efficiency, etc..) seem to like the Ariya.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Reviewers that are not neck deep in EV details (charging rate/battery tech, efficiency, etc..) seem to like the Ariya.

Glad they like it; I don't. It's too big and rather ugly. I don't like those high nosed front ends that are so popular these days. We saw one at our local dealer and were truly unimpressed. What the world doesn't need is another large SUV.

As to "stylish and practical" we have a Leaf.

I also find even as the EV world.advsnces, I still really like my Leaf Plus. It still really meets my vehicle needs.

I occasionally let my thoughts wander to a an EV6 or Taycan, but the thought of dropping over 50K (or 150K) on a car quickly pulls me back.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I also find even as the EV world.advsnces, I still really like my Leaf Plus. It still really meets my vehicle needs.

I occasionally let my thoughts wander to a an EV6 or Taycan, but the thought of dropping over 50K (or 150K) on a car quickly pulls me back.

Agreed but what also complicates things is EVERYTHING ELSE. After 5 leases, I bought my plus. 4 years, 1.24% interest. I am in no hurry to pay it off ;)

But it still hits 250 miles in Summer (not a guess)
Has zero issues (I don't use cruise control. I found it to be a very inefficient way to drive)
Approaching 50,000 miles on OEM tires with plenty of tread left.

I mean there is no compelling reason to get rid of what I have...except the fact that new licensed driver will be among our midsts "next" week. :D

My range this morning on my SV+ was 280. Not bad for 10% degradation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lm6ec2HTVcqiBgd47

I also am not complaining. Down to a new standard range M3 range.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My range this morning on my SV+ was 280. Not bad for 10% degradation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lm6ec2HTVcqiBgd47

I also am not complaining. Down to a new standard range M3 range.

At this point I am unwilling to call it "degradation" I will refer to mine as "8.8% withheld until further notice" ;)

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US still is unchanged. It still contains the verbiage:
"Please note that Electric Vehicle (EV) leases initiated 12/12/2022 or after are not eligible for purchase during the term of the contract or at maturity when the lease contract ends (this includes both direct Lessor and Dealer-initiated payoffs)."

We had an EV event in the tiny town, population 1100, near where I live, with more than a dozen different models of EVs. The Grand Junction Nissan dealer brought an Ariya — first one I've ever seen up here in rural mountain Colorado. Even though it was fairly pricey, of interest to me was the sticker in the window saying that leases start at $299/month. If true, that seems like a pretty good deal to give the Ariya a try while the EV market shakes out.

dgpcolorado said:
We had an EV event in the tiny town, population 1100, near where I live, with more than a dozen different models of EVs. The Grand Junction Nissan dealer brought an Ariya — first one I've ever seen up here in rural mountain Colorado. Even though it was fairly pricey, of interest to me was the sticker in the window saying that leases start at $299/month. If true, that seems like a pretty good deal to give the Ariya a try while the EV market shakes out.

Especially if the dealer can take the $7500 tax bonus and have a contract to buy after lease for the remaining value. I have access to a lot of them here where I am (Nissan HQ basically) but haven't tried to use LeafSpy on them to see what happens yet. :lol:

Back