Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm, working so I'll miss you all, but I'm sitting here in Borrego Springs posting this while my LEAF is charging on one of the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce's FIVE new Blink L-2 EVSE's! :)

We made it from the SDSU DCFC (with a full charge on a 16 month old LEAF) to the DCFC in Santa Ysabel with a few mile detour for breakfast at Izzy's in El Cajon (recommended). We arrived with 17% remaining (via Wildcat Canyon Rd. with 3 miles showing on the GOM). Charged to 90% in 30 minutes and left for Borrego Springs down Montezuma Grade with nine bars showing. We got to the desert rim at Ranchita with four bars showing and 20 miles on the GOM and hit Christmas Circle with 70 miles on the GOM and SIX bars showing--yes, we actually GAINED two bars on the trip down the grade. Montezuma Grade is called "The Glass Elevator" by the motorcycling crowd for just this reason. ;-)

If you can't get all the way to Santa Ysabel from where you live, remember there are a few L-2's in Ramona near the Big 5 Sporting Goods and there are a few shops/restaurants within walking distance. We had a wonderful chat with Linda Haddock, the Executive Director of the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce who is the mastermind behind making Borrego Springs a haven for solar and EV's! She's working on getting her own fleet of car2go's so you can drive your EV to the Chamber and grab a car2go to toodle around the valley. There are 131 new statues scattered around the valley including a 350 foot long dragon (free guides available at the Chamber). She's also getting bids for solar canopies to cover her parking lot to off-set some of her power requirements and give you a shady spot to park as well. There is also FREE WIFI which you can hit from the parking lot so you can sit in your car if the Chamber is closed, but the Chamber has new, clean bathrooms, air conditioning and comfy seating to check your email and post on your favorite Discussion Board to make all your friends jealous that they're not having an adventure like you are! ;-)

LindaHaddockBorrego-L.jpg

Leslie and Linda

The Visitors Center is a two-mile walk from the Chamber if you're brave or it's on your way back up the hill if you go back that way and it's definitely worth a visit especially if you've never been. We're going to go home back up S-2 via Scissors Crossing to cut off the elevation at Ranchita. It will add about 13-15 miles, but is the lower route to get back to the intersection of S-22 and S-2. We'll let you know how it goes. ;-)

Looks like fun. I drove out there in the Rav4 EV several months ago, all the way to the Imperial County line. It should would have been nice to have these charging stations then.

garygid said:
Tony, thanks for the offer of a ride from Vista.
I will try to be there before 7:30, and I don't mind waiting for you.

I

Gary, from Laguna Hills you should be able to make it to my house in south Carlsbad. I'm less than two miles from I-5 and Poinsettia. You can charge here, and we can make the round-trip to Poway in my Leaf. If you want to do this, let me know and I'll PM my address & phone.

P.S. - The Walgreens in Vista is posted for "30 minute parking"...

Regards,
Jim

If anyone wants a ride from Temecula, you can charge at my place. I will be driving the RAV4 EV down and won't need to charge.

If you want your GID-Meter re-flashed to version F1. 09 which
boots up much faster, and can display the "real SOC" percentage
value from the LEAF... just bring your GID-Meter to the meeting
this coming Saturday.

I will bring the GizmoV1 and a CANary (Roadkill version).

With these, we can read the Pack Temperatures and cell voltages,
and what appears to be an Amp-hour value representing
the Pack Capacity. Good stuff.

Cheers, Gary

sfbayleafsmnl
TonyWilliams said:
I think there is a chance... a good chance that EVs other than the LEAF will outnumber the LEAF this time!!!!
Exciting! Jim66 and pchilds, if you were on Facebook and could help couple of attendees with the logistic of the trip to Poway, please consider commenting on this thread: http://bit.ly/sdevent0420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good news and bad:

The Good:
I have the Android app that displays the cell-pair data, Pack Temperatures,
SOC, and the (presumed) Capacity number (apparently Amp-hours,
showing a value near 66 for a new battery pack).

The Bad:
I have a cold, with sinuses draining like a rain gutter in a monsoon!
So, I might not make it.

Jim,
I don't want to subject you to this, so I an canceling our
LEAF-Frogging, but thanks a bunch for your kindness.

Tony,
Sorry to (most likely) miss being part of the Show-n-Tell.
If by some miracle I feel much better early Saturday morning,
I will just drive the Prius down, so that I can leave early, if needed.

sfbayleafsmnl
garygid said:
I have a cold, with sinuses draining like a rain gutter in a monsoon!
So, I might not make it.
Sorry to hear that, Gary. It looks like I might have caught the same bug. Please feel better soon. Hopefully, you can make it tomorrow.

I will bring the Clipper Creek CS-40 modified to CS-50 specs (40 amp) with ITT 75 amp J1772 cable and my unfinished OpenEVSE specified for 75 amp.

Also will have the Tesla Model S Mobile Connector (selectable up to 40 amps), the 2013 LEAF / Panasonic modified to be selectable up to 20amps @ 100 - 250 volts, and the Toyota / Panasonic 12 amp modified to 100 - 250 volts (used in Rav4 EV and Prius Plug-in).

I'll probably bring a Dyden CHAdeMO cable and plug, and a Yazaki J1772 30 amp cable and plug.

I'll bring my EVSEupgrade, bag o adapters, Easy240, extension cords and LEAFcan.

Too bad my bluetooth OBD2 reader isn't in yet, could show off Turbo3s ELM327 LEAF Battery app and scan a bunch of cars.

You can get some sort of an idea of how much capacity your LEAF is down using the LEAFcan by comparing the GID percentage to the actual SOC...

San Diego EVent: Meet and Breakfast, April 20, 2013

If you want to be on the mailing list for future EVents, please send an email to:

[email protected]

We had a total of 25-30 people today, with about 20 cars. There were at least 7 Nissan LEAF, 6 Tesla Model S, 6 Toyota Rav4 EV, and 2 BMW ActiveE. I think there were a few Toyota Prii, also.

Here we are gathering at the Hamburger Factory in Poway. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I have a "show and tell" of a multitude of EVSE's; Tesla Model S UMC 40 amp, Toyota / Panasonic 12 amp modified to 240 volt, Nissan / Panasonic for 2013 LEAF modified to 20 amps / 240 volt, Open EVSE 75amp project, and not pictured is my Clipper Creek CS-40 modified to CS-50 40 amp continuous with ITT 75 amp J1772 cable.

Gary "Gid" drove down from Orange County when he didn't feel well to show off the CANary project.

Gary D. let me drive his "dolphin grey" Tesla Model S-85P. Yes, it is quicker than my Rav4 EV !!!

Randy S. will be getting his new "multicoat" red Model S in a few weeks, and is drooling over this one!!! This car was delivered just an hour ago at the delivery center in Miramar, just 10 miles away. Definitely gets the low mileage award:

Thanks for arranging the EVent, Tony - great turnout as usual and everyone enjoyed seeing all the Model S out on the road! While hanging out in the parking lot I talked to a few interested passer-bys who also lusted over them. :)

Did Kie (sp?) make it home OK after charging at your place?

drees said:
Thanks for arranging the EVent, Tony - great turnout as usual and everyone enjoyed seeing all the Model S out on the road! While hanging out in the parking lot I talked to a few interested passer-bys who also lusted over them. :)

Did Kie (sp?) make it home OK after charging at your place?

You're welcome. I'm totally sunburnt from all day at Earth Day. What a crowd!!!

Yes, he made it home after a few hours of charging at 9.6kW in my garage. The GOM said 139 miles on departure and he drove 65mph 95% of the way (112 miles). There were 32 miles left when he arrived home. Not bad on the GOM !!!!

The Rav4 will do 3.4 miles per kWh at 65mph at 41.8kWh usable for 142 miles range.

I thank you, too, Tony. It was my first time attending, but will not be my last. Thanks to surfingslovak for the wisdom he provided and for swapping seats so that I was able to pick garygid's brain during breakfast. I was also fortunate enough to have garygid examine data from my LEAF using his Vizio tablet running Turbo3's software with the ELM127 adapter. The indication that my battery capacity was on the order of 90% was a nice bit of news. :shock:

To the gentleman and his daughter who invited me to meet them at the Santa Ysabel DC Fast Charger: I did not get your text. PM me, I'd be interested in other road trips.

drees, is that Dave?

Usually, we meet the forum persona before IRL but for me it is other way around! yeah made it back to the LA area just fine after hanging out with Tony for a couple of hours. It was great to meet rickbecker, gbarry and the surfingslovak as well.

Yes, Dave. I think of him as gearhead Dave ;-)

khaihon said:
drees, is that Dave?

Usually, we meet the forum persona before IRL but for me it is other way around! yeah made it back to the LA area just fine after hanging out with Tony for a couple of hours. It was great to meet rickbecker, gbarry and the surfingslovak as well.

sfbayleafsmnl
rickbecker said:
I thank you, too, Tony. It was my first time attending, but will not be my last.
It was nice meeting you, Rick, and other MNL regulars as well. Good to hear that Gary was able to get some data from your car, it's exciting to see the progress on the ELM327 front.

khaihon said:
Glad you made it back, Khai! Good on you to come to Tony's meet-up, couldn't think of a better way to break in a new EV.

Back