Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pchilds said:
It's 58 miles from my house to Santa Ysabel, can I hog the DCQC for 30 minutes?

You're counting on the DC charger actually working and that I don't recommend!!! Unfortunately, Ecotality has a horrendous dispatch rate with these. The purpose of the registration is to make sure everybody gets the right amount of kWh to get to their next stop.

Assuming the DC chargers works at all, we will work that into the plan to get everybody charged. Easy. There are plenty of places to stop enroute in Escondido, North County Faire shopping mall (Macy's) has two Blink L2's, you pass two Nissan dealers (both with free charging), you can stop at my house (although, a bit out of your way), the Wild Animal Park has some plug ins (not sure the voltage), and Ramona now has the 3 Blinks.

Lots and lots of options both ways!

Well, it's 60 miles each way for me; I'm not sure that it's viable, but I'd surely like to come!

I could come if I drove our Honda hybrid. HeeHee. At least I could meet everyone that way.

dawnb58 said:
Well, it's 60 miles each way for me; I'm not sure that it's viable, but I'd surely like to come!

I could come if I drove our Honda hybrid. HeeHee. At least I could meet everyone that way.

We have a DC charger (maybe) at the site, which can charge you car in less than an hour. Of course, with careful driving, it will be easy. You will need a stop at the numerous charging places in Escondido for 60-90 minutes prior to completing the journey.

Drive the 15 freeway south at 55mph with the big trucks in the right lane for the 36 miles from Murrieta. That should burn 7 fuel bars, leaving 5.

From Escondido, it's 33 miles. You need to leave Escondido with 8 fuel bar segments, and limit speed to 45 mph for the 3000 foot elevation climb. To add 3 fuel bars to the 5 you should have will take 60-90 minutes of charging in Escondido.

Going home will be EASY, and you will do it non-stop !!!! We will make sure you get the power you need to go home.

Plugshare is a great app to find chargers!!!

1. Tony Williams - 35 miles each way, no charging needed (zero kWh)

2. Craig Bentley (I'm your Walter Cronkite example - 52 miles each way, need 8 kWh)

3. Jamie Edmonds/KMG-365 - 50 miles each way (SDSU area), need 2-8kWh (I can do Ramona/Poway, etc to get home)

4. Lynn Laumann plus 1 - 50 miles each way, need 8 kWh

5. drees - 49 miles each way - up to 8 kWh to get back home

etc

Attention OC and LA county LEAFers; I will pay $100 cash to the longest drive in a LEAF to this event !!!!

The DC Chademo charger in San Juan Capistrano (south Orange County) may be operational before this meeting, so it's 82 miles to Santa Ysabel from there. At 55 mph, with 3000 feet elevation gain, a LEAF will burn about 22.5 kWh without climate control and 65F or greater battery temperature. A new LEAF will have 21kWh usable. Obviously, cars over a year old will only have about 19kWh available (10% degradation loss).

Obviously, subtract at least 10% of your range if your car is a year old. So, you'll need 1.5kWh to 3.5kWh extra juice to make it there (plus reserve, assuming 100% full in San Juan Cap). There are plenty of L2 along the route to make that easy. Going home the 82 miles back to San Juan Cap will be (relatively) easy with 3000 feet elevation loss!!!

82 miles away
ChargePoint or credit card (with a call to 800 number), fee
1 Fuji 25kW DC quick charger
Residence Inn by Marriott
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California

54 miles away
7 Blink L2, need Blink card, fee
North County Transit Center
195 South Tremont
Oceanside, CA 92054

48 miles away
3 AeroVironment L2, no card or fee
Mossy Nissan
3535 College Blvd
Oceanside, CA 92056

43 miles away
1 SemaCharge L2, no card, no fee
Walmart
310 Sycamore Ave
Vista, CA 92083

43 miles away
2 Blink L2, Blink card required, fee
Walmart
Sycamore exit on 78 freeway
1800 University Drive
Vista, CA

35 miles away
2 GE Wattstation L2, no card or fee
Stone Brewery
1999 Citracado Pkwy
Escondido, CA 92029

34 miles away
2 AeroVironment L2, no card or fee
Mossy Nissan
1546 Auto Parkway
Escondido, Ca

33 miles away
1 SemaCharge L2, no card or fee
Walgreens
111 W Washington Ave
Escondido, CA 92025

16 miles away
Three L2 chargers, requires Blink card:
Big 5 Sporting Goods (across from Starbucks)
1350 Main Street
Ramona, CA

TonyWilliams said:

2. Craig Bentley (I'm your Walter Cronkite example - 52 miles each way, need 8 kWh)

3. Jamie Edmonds/KMG-365 - 50 miles each way (SDSU area), need 2-8kWh (I can do Ramona/Poway, etc to get home)

6. derkraut - 42 miles each way - I'll need about 5kw or so to make it back without going into LBW

etc

Count me in! I have 54 miles one way from Point Loma. My Leaf is 15 months old but less than 6000 mi. All 12 capacity bars. I'll definitely need to charge somewhere.... on the way back preferably if not available at Santa Ysabel. Google says the trip is about 90 minutes (in an ICE) so Let's say 2 hrs for me at slower speeds. I'll have to leave before 7 AM if I need a one hour L2 boost on the way up.

Tony, sure wish you had your DCQC up at your house!

Gary

gmuzhik said:
Count me in! I have 54 miles one way from Point Loma. My Leaf is 15 months old but less than 6000 mi. All 12 capacity bars. I'll definitely need to charge somewhere.... on the way back preferably if not available at Santa Ysabel. Google says the trip is about 90 minutes (in an ICE) so Let's say 2 hrs for me at slower speeds. I'll have to leave before 7 AM if I need a one hour L2 boost on the way up.

Gary

The plan is to have the DC charger at my house operational before then. But, I'm not counting on that until I physically have it in my hands. We have over a month to make the magic happen!

I can, of course, handle numerous 16amp charges at once right now, all solar powered.

TonyWilliams said:
gmuzhik said:

Gary

The plan is to have the DC charger at my house operational before then. But, I'm not counting on that until I physically have it in my hands. We have over a month to make the magic happen!

I can, of course, handle numerous 16amp charges at once right now, all solar powered.

Yo Tony,

I know you're an old Air Traffic Controller; and they can do almost anything, right? Still---you amaze me with your enthusiasm and "can do" attitude. You DA MAN!

JeremyW said:
TonyWilliams said:
The DC charger in San Juan Capistrano may be operational before this meeting
Has some sod actually been disturbed at this point? :)

Yes, dirt has been moved. The 25kW Fuji should be on the pad tomorrow. SDG&E should have the meter in shortly. The use fees will be with Chargepoint card of a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

The Nissan dealer and Costco are both nearby.

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675
1-949-443-3600

TonyWilliams said:

6. derkraut - 42 miles each way - I'll need about 5kw or so to make it back without going into LBW

7. Walter Bays +2: 45 miles each way - need 8-10 kWh
Hoping to scout campgrounds a little while we're up there. Could probably add some more charge later too. Will bail out of the meeting if the QC is not operational. Without it I don't think the L2's could handle more than a few cars even with splitters. Which reminds me: is anyone driving up in an SV? They need to have priority on the L2 plugs.

TonyWilliams said:
JeremyW said:
TonyWilliams said:
The DC charger in San Juan Capistrano may be operational before this meeting
Has some sod actually been disturbed at this point? :)

Yes, dirt has been moved. The 25kW Fuji should be on the pad tomorrow. SDG&E should have the meter in shortly. The use fees will be with Chargepoint card of a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

The Nissan dealer and Costco are both nearby.

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
1-949-443-3600
Just called. I was told " . . . a couple of months. They were missing some parts." :-/

KMG365 said:
Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
1-949-443-3600
Just called. I was told " . . . a couple of months. They were missing some parts." :-/

The permits are paid and approved, the pad is poured, conduit in, and the charger has been sitting for 6-8 months. I don't know what "parts". I know the electrical power is pending, and that will take several weeks minimum.

Back