New Leaf ordered in Ireland

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsilgnede

Had the dealership car for a 24 hour test drive last week. Absolutely loved it. Love the quietness and I can't wait for the day when's wont care so much about the price of petrol.

My commute is about a 50k round trip. Shouldn't present any issues.

Cost is €31k but there's a €5k government grant so it's actually €26k. It's in the lowest annual road tax band as well, €106 compared to €800 for my Volvo. The utility company are going to install the charger for free, again the state is giving them a grant to cover that cost.

Went for the blue body. Didn't bother with the solar panel. I live on the west coast of Ireland, it rains 300 days a year so not sure how much I would get put of it.

Really quite excited. Going to be a long few weeks waiting but it's going to be worth it. :)

hsilgnede said:
Didn't bother with the solar panel. I live on the west coast of Ireland, it rains 300 days a year so not sure how much I would get put of it.
:) Probably about as much good as I get out of mine in sunny San Diego.

One feature might be worth buying on the SL model, along with the solar panel. That's the CHAdeMO quick charge port. That could be very valuable to you depending on just where you live, where the planned QC stations are to be installed, how often you drive east, and how confident you are that "they" will follow through with implementation of their QC plans. http://www.chademo.com/pdf/ESB.pdf It could enable drives to Dublin which otherwise you'd have to make in a petrol burner, or by bus or airplane. And that's such a nice drive.

Here they have just started to install the first QC stations, 1 1/2 years late, and they make a huge difference in the usability of the car. On the other hand, if there won't be QC stations within convenient driving range of you it would be especially irksome to pay a lot extra for a QC port that you could never actually use.

The QC port is a separate feature now. There are plenty of Chademos in Ireland. Not everyone lives in so-cal.

QC port is on the car. There are a few between here and Dublin already and I'm sure more to come. Will wait till I'm comfortable with my driving style and my range judgement before I take on a long trip but I am looking forward to planning those journeys and hopping from one QC point to the next.

coolfilmaker said:
The QC port is a separate feature now. There are plenty of Chademos in Ireland. Not everyone lives in so-cal.
Really? First I've heard of it. To get QC in 2011, you had to get the SL, to which you could then add QC. In 2012, you had to buy the SL, which came with QC. Have they announced the 2013 options while we weren't looking?

The swipe cards to get access to the charge points and the welcome pack arrived from the utility company today. Excitement growing, going to be a long wait for it to arrive. :(

ESB and the Department for Regional Development Northern Ireland (DRD NI) have been awarded €2.1 million from the EU.

ESB and the Department for Regional Development Northern Ireland (DRD NI) have been awarded €2.1 million from the EU to provide 50% funding for a major cross-border project to further develop the network of electric vehicle (EV) fast charging infrastructure in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. This initiative will facilitate the take-up of electric vehicles and will also help Ireland in meeting its international obligations in relation to reducing greenhouse emissions.

The funding has been secured under the EU Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T).

Details of the €2.1 million funding were announced (Wednesday, November 28th 2012) at the European Commission event "TEN-T Day 2012" in Brussels with Vice President and Commissioner for Transport Siim Kallas.

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Leo Varadkar said: "This is a welcome announcement for the ESB and for Ireland. The eCars project has been granted over €2m funding from the EU's Trans-European Transport Network programme to further develop charge points right across Ireland. The Commission's proposal for a successor programme is currently under negotiation in the EU and will be a key priority for me during Ireland's Presidency of the Council next year. The funding will allow an extra 46 fast charge-points to be installed, 41 in the Republic and five in Northern Ireland."

During the project, which runs until September 2014, a total of 46 EV fast charge-points will be installed along the key inter-urban routes as well as transport hubs such as airports and ports across the island of Ireland. Forty one fast chargers will be deployed in the Republic of Ireland and five in Northern Ireland, building on the network of fast chargers already installed.

ESB is currently rolling out an electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure across Ireland. At present there are 1,000 installed charge-points covering every county and 90% of big cities and towns. Fast charging allows drivers to extend the range of their electric vehicle by up to 130km in 20-25 minutes. It will facilitate longer distance, inter-urban travel, and reduce any 'range anxiety'.

The funding will also contribute towards the development of IT systems to support the fast charging infrastructure network and will facilitate cross-border roaming and payment for electricity.

As part of the project, ESB ecars will survey the general public and EV drivers to gauge their views on fast charging and collect usage data. The results are expected to demonstrate the importance of fast charging infrastructure and will provide an understanding of the requirements for a nationwide network. The European Commission views the outcome of the project as providing a roadmap for other Member States looking to roll out national EV charging infrastructure.

ESB ecars Manager, Dermot McArdle, said "This is one of the first projects in Europe to demonstrate the effectiveness of a comprehensive fast charging infrastructure for electric vehicles which will also be bi-jurisdictional and dual-currency. In so doing, it will provide a roadmap for the development of a standardised international EV fast charging infrastructure in Europe."

This is good news for me. Will mean (assuming they locate them sensibly) I can go more or less anywhere in Ireland in the Leaf without having to get too freaked out about range.

There's no time of use plan in Ireland? I pay 0.10€/kW.h at night and 0.15€/kW.h during the day here in Portugal. The public chargers are still free, but since Jan/2012 the purchase incentives were cancelled because of the debt crysis.

vegastar said:
There's no time of use plan in Ireland? I pay 0.10€/kW.h at night and 0.15€/kW.h during the day here in Portugal. The public chargers are still free, but since Jan/2012 the purchase incentives were cancelled because of the debt crysis.

There is but the cost of getting into it is a bit prohibitive. You have to pirchase a second meter etc. Having said that it's been some years since I checked it out. Might look again. Energy prices in Ireland are amongst the highest in the EU as far as I know all though it sounds like you guys are not far behind us.

The incentives are still in place but I think they will go soon.

What's petrol like in Portugal? It's about €1.59 - €1.70 per litre here.

Dealer called telling me the car has arrived at the dealership. Waiting for the grant to get processed (was applied for the day after I ordered the car - about typical of the Irish civil service) and waiting for it to be 2013 so I can get the new year plates.

All of my distractions have now passed, exams, Christmas, work year end deadlines, I have nothing else left to occupy me so thinking a lot about the car now. Getting quite excited about picking it up. :D

aaaaaaaaaaand I'm getting it saturday. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After much procrastination by the civil service, finally its being registered and I can take it away. Can't wait.

hsilgnede said:
Got it. Love it!!

Excellent stuff, congrats. ;)

Check out the night meter it's half the price you mad man :mrgreen: , you will be using so much more electricity to justify the slightly extra day charges.

I bet you are out in it now !

Looks like my dream of getting the Leaf has been blown away. The company manager met with me Thursday to tell me I didn't get the job, basically giving me a load of BS about them not being able to hire me because I work for the contractor and they have an agreement not to take their workers. (bull ****)

So now I'll have to train in the new guy while I wait for them to terminate my contract. Life's such a bitch !

Oh well maybe some day.

Anyway hope you keep us posted and by the way below is a proposed fast charger location (ac/dc) for the new chargers to be installed.

These locations (don't) include the fast dc already installed !

Proposedfastchargerlocation_zpsb4187652.jpg

Thanks. Sorry to hear about the job.

I had seen that map somewhere else. Looks like the whole island will be covered pretty soon with a fast charge network so we should be able to go most anywhere without issue.

hsilgnede said:
Thanks. Sorry to hear about the job.

Yeah cheers. Who knows how long they will keep me.

I had seen that map somewhere else. Looks like the whole island will be covered pretty soon with a fast charge network so we should be able to go most anywhere without issue.

Yeah, hopefully it won't effect the battery much by fast charging. The only thing is most of our motorway network has 0 facilities so it will mean they will have to be located off the motorways.

Still, they are spending a lot of money considering E.V sales are pathetic, pity Nissan didn't have the Leaf during the (boom) Years as car sales in general have hit rock bottom.

So have you ventured far in the Leaf yet ? have they installed your charge point yet ?

Back