NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two items of note:

I got ICE'd yesterday morning (Sunday) before 7:30 AM at one of the downtown Raleigh parking garages. I went in to charge because I was going on to Holly Springs later that morning. I found an old Tacoma backed into one of the two charging spots. I went around the corner hoping that spot was open. At first it looked like an even bigger SUV was parked in that spot, but it was actually parked in the spot next to the designated charging spot on that side. So I got lucky. But if you can get ICE'd in an otherwise deserted parking garage early on a Sunday morning, I guess it can happen anywhere.

Also, had the car three weeks & received this campaign notice from Nissan today:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest level of product quality and customer satisfaction. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your Nissan LEAF™.

REASON FOR CAMPAIGN

Nissan continually improves product performance through ongoing enhancements. Based on the production date of your LEAF vehicle, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P."

The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO

To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your car, your EV-certified Nissan Dealer will update the software at no cost for parts and labor at a time and location that best meets your needs. Typically performed at your Nissan EV Dealer, the update can also be completed by an EV-certified technician at your home or place of business, provided there is a suitable and safe work area. Please discuss with your Nissan EV Dealer regarding timing and location.

In support of this software update, a new owner's manual will also be provided.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Contact your EV-certified Nissan Dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange your appointment:

This service is free of charge and the work should take about one hour to complete. To ensure the least inconvenience to you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the dealer for service. Please bring this notice with you to your service appointment. Detailed instructions have been sent to your EV-certified Nissan Dealer.

If the dealer is unable to complete the service free of charge, or for any other reason, you may contact the Nissan LEAF Call Center, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll-free number is 1-877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738).

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure ongoing satisfaction with your Nissan LEAF. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Wonder what that's all about. I guess pretty much everyone else in the Advanced Energy program will be getting the same message.

Too bad it doesn't address the missing glove box light. :|

Is there anyone here from the Advanced Energy program that got a message indicating the need to install an apron?

I'm thinking we may all be a block and maybe already have it? And +1 on the missing glove box light!!!!!!!!!!!

Atebit said:
I guess pretty much everyone else in the Advanced Energy program will be getting the same message.

Too bad it doesn't address the missing glove box light. :|

All,
I got an email about the apron install & software upgrade too (I'm not part of the Advanced Energy bunch). Has anyone had this done yet? Was it fast? Given the weather forecast for tomorrow, I'm thinking I would like to have had this done already. Oh well.

Also, FYI...I checked out Neal's Garage EV charging station in Durham (comes up on my car's list of available stations) on Saturday, noon. You can forget this one as a nearby charging station unless you work there.... They were not open on Saturday and had only brackets on the wall where the charger signs are. It looks like they installed two level 2 chargers that they can unplug and bring in at night/on weekends. So I guess you can only get a charge if they are open and you go in and ask them to re-hang it on the wall.

--Sarah

P.S. My LEAF maintenance email said I should take my car back to my Nissan LEAF dealer....in CALIFORNIA.... :)

sarahnc said:
All,
I got an email about the apron install & software upgrade too (I'm not part of the Advanced Energy bunch). Has anyone had this done yet?

No, not really in a big hurry, but if the Bluetooth handling is improved I'd be interested (what I'm looking for is the ability to connect to multiple phones at the same time--my home cordless phone can do this no problem, but the LEAF seems to be only able to handle one phone).

Not sure if you were serious about the apron comment w.r.t. tomorrow's weather. I think the concern there is when you are driving through 6-12 inches of unplowed snow. I'm not concerned in the least about that here in NC because if we ever do get that much snow (or even 1-2 inches) I am certainly not going to be out on the roads with my LEAF!

"It looks like they installed two level 2 chargers that they can unplug and bring in at night/on weekends."

I've notice others on plug share that are plugegd in to a recpt. I recently sent my EV cord to EVSE Upgrade so I can plug in to 110 or 220. I found 10 more 110 recpt. and 2 ea 240 in the parking space in North Wilkesboro. I also have a farm house and had a 220V twist plug installed there. :D

Mule

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 31
FYI, I contacted Walgreens to see what their plans were with respect to their proposed 800 charging stations, specifically about whether they are planning any in the Triangle region. I cited the Advanced Energy project and the high-tech nature of the area as reasons why the density of EVs here might make it worthwhile to site some of their charging stations here. I got a response less than a day later:

Thanks for reaching out to inquire about Walgreens EV initiative. We are rolling out our charging stations as quickly as we can. As you stated we have targeted 800 locations nation wide and are well on our way to reach that goal!

As of now the Raleigh Durham area is still under evaluation. We have reached out to a few of our partners to see if they agree that the Research Triangle would be a community that is in need of charging locations. The program that Nissan and Advanced Energy has launched certainly makes this market more attractive. We hope to make a decision about our plans for this market in the next few weeks.

So not a definitely positive response, but definitely not negative either. Stay tuned!

I would like to organize some kind of get-together for the Triangle EV crowd. I have a copy of Revenge of the Electric Car and a great home theater / pub in my basement that would serve as a venue (I've requested a Raleigh screening several times but never received a reply). The only downside is that I'm not exactly centrally located. HOWEVER, I've got my home charging station, a dedicated 120V outlet (for those that are medium distance) and I'm practically across the street from Crossroads Nissan with 4 charging stations, so if we wanted to do this I think we could arrange to have plenty of charging for those that would have to travel a distance (my neighbor up the street has a LEAF but not sure if he has a charging station yet). I'm located in far North Raleigh (practically in Wake Forest). Let me know if there is interest and we'll pick a date and start organizing this.

lpickup said:
I would like to organize some kind of get-together for the Triangle EV crowd. .... Let me know if there is interest and we'll pick a date and start organizing this.

We'd love to come! My LEAF will definitely need a top-up for us to make it home, though. I'm fine with charging it at Crossroads, as long as someone gives us a lift to your place and back.

--Sarah

FYI...had the day off, so I am now sitting at leith Nissan getting my sw update....unofficially. Turns out they cannot finish my paperwork until they give me the new manual, which they don't have yet. they'll have to mail it to me.

They are trying to catch everyone with these appointments and delay them, but, despite me calling in this morning to verify all was good for me to come in, they missed me. I bet most dealers don't have the manuals yet, so if you are thinking of getting this done, ask if the new manual is in when you call.

And they are only doing aprons on an as ordered basis - not keeping any in stock, because Lance was right -- it is protection against ice/snow accumulation when driving in endless days of snow/slush.

We melt snow in hours here, so it won't accumulate on the car, so no need for it.

I'll let you know if I notice anything different with the sw update..

--Sarah

Yeah, I can't believe the apron would do anything at all unless you were actually driving in snow that is up to your bumper at least. If you are driving in snow that deep in NC, you are nuts! :lol: I used to occasionally drive in snow like this up north, but it was limited, for example, to driving through the snow bank at the end of your driveway because you just got home from work and need to get in your driveway before shoveling out the bank. I don't even take the car out of the driveway here in NC if there is more than 1/4" of snow simply because we don't have the equipment to properly make all roads safe, and being out on the road with many NC drivers in snow would be VERY dangerous! :)

lpickup said:
I would like to organize some kind of get-together for the Triangle EV crowd.

I was hoping he would speak for himself here as I certainly have no authority to say this, but I will say that there is a possibility of moving this gathering to a very central location with plenty of charging opportunity, so stay tuned while we work out the details if in fact this new venue works out.

sarahnc said:
FYI...had the day off, so I am now sitting at leith Nissan getting my sw update....unofficially.
I'll let you know if I notice anything different with the sw update..

It took 1:40 minutes to get the sw update installed! Ug! They said that's normal for sw updates on LEAFs.

So far the only difference I've noticed is that it reset my beep preference -- I had that turned off so that car didn't chime with each on/off. So I had to turn it off again. Good thing I didn't throw those notes away.

--Sarah

Can anyone tell me if the downtown Durham charging stations are open and operable?

http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cmo/sustainability/Pages/EVCS.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know about the ones at American Tobacco campus. I am really interested in the ones at the Durham County Main Library.

Thanks.

lpickup said:
lpickup said:
I would like to organize some kind of get-together for the Triangle EV crowd.

I was hoping he would speak for himself here as I certainly have no authority to say this, but I will say that there is a possibility of moving this gathering to a very central location with plenty of charging opportunity, so stay tuned while we work out the details if in fact this new venue works out.

I would like to meet other Leaf owners in the area, so count me in.

NuclearLeaf said:
I have not heard anything about the upgrade, no emails, no phone call, nothing at all. Anyone else in the same boat? If I am the only one, maybe it's time to contact the dealer?

Got an e-mail quite some time ago and an actual letter in the mail late last week.

If you have time and want to call the dealer, go for it. You don't have to wait until you receive notification--they should have all the records they need at the dealer. I'm not in any particular hurry myself. It doesn't seem like anything on the list is of great importance.

tidalsearch said:
Can anyone tell me if the downtown Durham charging stations are open and operable?

http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cmo/sustainability/Pages/EVCS.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know about the ones at American Tobacco campus. I am really interested in the ones at the Durham County Main Library.

Thanks.

I will try and drive by this evening -- I have a rehearsal over that way and if I leave several minutes early can easily swing by the Durham County library. I know that the NORTHERN library branch has them installed - one of my students who lives up that way reported this to me in late January. I'll do my best to check the downtown library this evening and report back tomorrow (Tuesday).

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I tried to use the chargers at the Main Library in Downtown Durham on Saturday night and they were inoperable with no lights on the chargers at all. We ended up cancelling our reservations to one of our favorite Durham restaurants and charging up at the Tobacco campus due to this charger failure and enjoying a meal at Cuban Revolution instead. Thanks for checking on them when you get a chance.

tidalsearch said:
We ended up .... charging up at the Tobacco campus due to this charger failure and enjoying a meal at Cuban Revolution instead.

I guess you were the blue LEAF there. We have the silver LEAF that was charging there Sat. night: Like you, we chose to go to Cuban Revolution so we could get a charge while we ate AND start the climate control warming up the car before we left the restaurant. It was great!

--Sarah

Back