National Plug In Day - Sunday, October 16th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa Monica photos much appreciated! It was a lovely event, and we had fun meeting other EV owners and seeing all the excitement. I particularly enjoyed that fact that, since the parade was so *silent*, you could hear all the conversations going on among the people watching from the sidelines--lots of discussions about the various electric cars, and cheers and encouragement from fans. An hour later we parked on the same street, and it was so much noisier with the regular ICE traffic!

EVLover said:
Santa Monica photos much appreciated! It was a lovely event, and we had fun meeting other EV owners and seeing all the excitement. I particularly enjoyed that fact that, since the parade was so *silent*, you could hear all the conversations going on among the people watching from the sidelines--lots of discussions about the various electric cars, and cheers and encouragement from fans. An hour later we parked on the same street, and it was so much noisier with the regular ICE traffic!
And i loved how the staff of every nail salon along the way came out to see!

The Orange County, Ca, event was amazing in its own, slightly smaller way, but HUGE for Orange County. Sixty Seven EVs at the Orange Library, representing over 1 million miles of gas free driving! The Rav4s were responsible for the most individual gas free miles, with one Rav showing over 150,000 miles. The LEAFs were the most predominant species, but Teslas, Volts, and MiniEs were well represented. There was a Monotracer (familiar to those of us who have attended regional events previously), though he was still an ICE version, with the EV version coming "soon", we hope. There were several cool conversions, the most notable one to me was the red Miata. We also had a couple of Porsche Speedster 1960s replicas, the new green one from South Coast EVs. Mitsubishi was showing their upcoming i EV, and there were two EV pickup trucks, a converted VW and a Chevy S10. There was also a brand new electric shuttle bus from EVolution.

EDIT: I just remembered the SMART EV from AAA and a green colored lead-acid converted Geo belonging to a great couple from Long Beach whom some of us visited with when their home was part of a solar show and tell last spring.

Most of us did the short parade through Orange to the waffle stand, but it was crowded and parking was BAD there. Next year, a longer parade, and hopefully to a destination with parking and restrooms, please.

MNL members in attendance included 91040 and tbleakne (both of whom also did the Santa Monica event!!!), mwalsh, garygid, starry, z0ner, hill, xtremeflyer, Adrian and yours truly. If I missed you, please shout out here!

Linda Nicholes did a great job of organizing and moderating, with lots of support from some friends and the City of Orange sent someone from their Operations department to announce the two new ChargePoint charging stations to be installed across the street from the Library on Chapman.

Lots (and lots) of pictures here on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68724705@N05/sets/72157627786112379/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kataphn said:
Thanks, Boomer for the great OC write up and pics. Sorry we could not bi-locate like Tom and Al. :mrgreen:

Looks like Stefano in the Mono-tracer hit both also. He was in Santa Monica this morning. Good times. Will upload some photos as well soon.

Shocking how quiet it was rolling down Main street. The loudest thing I kept hear were people talking along the streets, the occasional bike chain turning and a few dogs barking. I don't think the people at the Farmers' Market knew what to think about it.

Here is a shot I took at San Diego's event at CCSE this afternoon....It was a great time, and the tacos were excellent....

CCSE can provide the official totals, but I believe there were over 70 Plug-in vehicles there!!!! Very exciting....

Randy

Attachments

• plugin2011.jpg
    plugin2011.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 60
  • plugin2011a.jpg
    plugin2011a.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 37
Thanks, Boomer for the pics. Here's my Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kf6oak/sets/72157627911639638/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would have been nice to have some more time to mingle. Next time, maybe MNL nametags would help..

Did anyone see any TV coverage in LA? I scanned through almost two hours of KCAL 9 News and NADA! Oh, they covered the zombie convention in Fort Myers, FLA, but no electric cars in Santa Monica. (Actually, that zombie convention looked way cool :lol: )

Boomer23 said:
Did anyone see any TV coverage in LA? I scanned through almost two hours of KCAL 9 News and NADA! Oh, they covered the zombie convention in Fort Myers, FLA, but no electric cars in Santa Monica. (Actually, that zombie convention looked way cool :lol: )

KABC was there, but it doesn't look like they used anything. Maybe we got bumped by Zombies. The event went off beautifully, however, with the press conference ending right at 10:00. Great comments by Chris Paine, Ed Begley Jr. and Congresswoman Janice Hahn. My wonderful ex was master of ceremonies and planned the whole thing. She deserves kudos for 3 months of hard work.

We had a great party at her house after.

The Seattle event was truly inspiring. There must have been 70-80 Ev's there, including all the ones parked in the regular parking lot, wahoo! Cudos to all who put time and energy into the event!

Enjoyed our time as well at the Orange County event yesterday.

Thanks Boomer and Richard for great photos.
Here are a few photos that we took:
http://imgur.com/a/sEt79/

Not too much to add to Boomers write-up. As a Leaf owner, it was great to see the long line-up of Leafs. However, as a former multi-Miata family, we were interested to see the EV conversion Miata. In it's current interation, it's fitted with li-ion batteries and has a purported 100-mi. range. Conversion cost approx. $20k from a local shop. So where we used to enjoy Miata rallies and track days, it was fun to see a Miata at an EV gathering.

We also enjoyed meeting and chatting with z0ner and wife for the first time, and
chatting with MWalsh. Also met Greg and wife from Corona (forgot to ask if they were MNL'ers).

An OC Register reporter/photographer was there to cover the event.
So, will be interesting if the coverage will make the paper.

EDIT: Just found this (fair and balanced) video on OCregister.com, "Electric Vehicles Parade Through OC":
http://www.ocregister.com/video/c/1125901233/latest/1221691207001/news-electric-car.

Back