NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
CWO4Mann said:
I just read it and all of the comments. Valga me Dios! Did you read some of the comments from the "Top Commentators"??

only 27 comments?, must not be a lot of interest about the Leaf in Tennessee.. any publicity is good publicity.

It seems that irregardless of the article content, there inevitably are trolls that comment and get the others off on a tangent that has little to do with the original article. Usually, it's Obama's fault. It doesn't matter what the article is about, the comments end up being about how it's his fault.

As I mentioned in my "Chademo Scorecard" thread, there is a bit of irony with TN (a state with relaatively low population and income ... factors that'd weigh heavily against new tech costs) having a disperportionately large amount of QC stations. It's likely that Nissan slipped the different geographical locations a bit of cash to get them installed at the various locations. Since the Leafs will be built in TN, it would certainly make sense that the manufacturer would want their product to have some kind of infrastructure.

One of the commenters was bothered by chargers being installed "up close" to the various shops - rather than locating chargers out in the boonies. That commenter's logic surprised me, because as soon as more handicapped folks start drivng Leafs, the law suits would start. It'd be discriminatory to cause handicapped EV'rs to have to walk from the boonies. Additionally most electric power sources are located "up close". So in regard to charger logistics (handicap issues and source of electricity issues) it seems the store owners are more savy than their customer base. But I'm staying out of their raucous. :D

hill said:
As I mentioned in my "Chademo Scorecard" thread, there is a bit of irony with TN (a state with relaatively low population and income ... factors that'd weigh heavily against new tech costs) having a disperportionately large amount of QC stations. It's likely that Nissan slipped the different geographical locations a bit of cash to get them installed at the various locations. Since the Leafs will be built in TN, it would certainly make sense that the manufacturer would want their product to have some kind of infrastructure.

One of the commenters was bothered by chargers being installed "up close" to the various shops - rather than locating chargers out in the boonies. That commenter's logic surprised me, because as soon as more handicapped folks start drivng Leafs, the law suits would start. It'd be discriminatory to cause handicapped EV'rs to have to walk from the boonies. Additionally most electric power sources are located "up close". So in regard to charger logistics (handicap issues and source of electricity issues) it seems the store owners are more savy than their customer base. But I'm staying out of their raucous. :D

Good points for sure. Location of the charging devices is driven by the nearness of electrical supply. Running a 220V 60amp line from the load center of a commercial facility to the closest possible spot for parking isn't cheap including pulling the permits, bribing the local building inspector, etc etc. When you get into the L3 devices, we are really talking big bucks, especially if the location lacks 3-phase at the load center or point of entry.

Tennessee politics as usual have figured into all of this, not surprising since Tennessee is famous for political tampering with roads and bridges and accesses (the famous "TDOT Scandals"), sale of blasting and building permits; tax exemptions for favorite duck hunting buddies . Just ask former Governor McWhirter now that he is out of the hoosegow ...

In the last 10 years, our local conviction scores of local and state officials and elected grifters:

Public Corruption: 18
Racketeering & Extortion: 11
Fraud: 7
Forgery & Counterfeiting: 5
Embezzlement: 9

My personal fave, however, was "Tennessee Waltz" wherein the FBI tried to clean out the "Memphis Mafia" (ha! fat chance of that happening).

Anyway, once upon a time there was a plan to install L3 chargers at a number of Interstate Highway rest stops in Tennessee. I've dug around after hearing rumors and let's just say that a "not for profit" foundation what pimps for the Blind and Handicapped Vendors Association, got the Fix In and that project is now in Limbo. Something about "who gets the highest percentage of rake-off.

Anyway, life goes on ...

Dave

(oh, and BTW: a native and first family of Tennessee and whose maternal grandmother had 5 husbands, married first at age 13, shot the third one after the first 2 died, married the local sheriff and stayed with him until he went to that there Federal jail in 1932 for moonshine, then hooked up with #5 and lived to be 102 years old. )

CWO4Mann said:
(oh, and BTW: a native and first family of Tennessee and whose maternal grandmother had 5 husbands, married first at age 13, shot the third one after the first 2 died, married the local sheriff and stayed with him until he went to that there Federal jail in 1932 for moonshine, then hooked up with #5 and lived to be 102 years old. )

My maternal granma also lived to 102, she only married once but we all suspect she killed her husband for cheating.. I miss her dearly.

hill said:

What we are finding is that the closer they are to the business, the more likely to be ICE'd out of the spot, usually by a giant SUV or truck. Signage, or lack thereof, continues to be an issue. I find that those of us who have Leafs actually don't mind walking a little extra in a parking lot in order to get a guaranteed charging spot. They are no good to us if they are constantly ICE'd...

The new year approaches, fellow Nashville LEAFers. What are the thoughts on another meet-up sometime in 2012? Perhaps at one of the several QC we have at Cracker Barrell locations?

I hope everyone is doing well; hope to see you all soon.

TNleaf said:
The new year approaches, fellow Nashville LEAFers. What are the thoughts on another meet-up sometime in 2012? Perhaps at one of the several QC we have at Cracker Barrell locations?

Works for us as long as it is close to food!

Happy New Year, you alls

Dave & Diane

TNleaf said:

I'm cool with a meetup. Call the place and time and I'll be there if I can.

JP

For those in or driving through the Brentwood Area. The Brentwood Public Library on Knox Valley Road has two stations up and running with parking spot signage "Electric Vehicle Charging Only". I went over there yesterday and charged for a few minutes. Had to use my Blink Card. When inside I thanked the folks behind the counter and told them how much I appreciated it. While I was 'splaining about the LEAF, several innocent bystanders came up and I manged to get in a several minutes long feel good about EV pitch. Seems to me that I remember telling the Ecotality Rep when we were at the Nashville meetup that the Library might be a good place, being so close to I-65 and all. Plus right now the library has a display of artifacts and documents from the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War to the Yankees); Kiosk 3 has some of my dead Rebel relatives stuff in it.

Cheers,

Dave

Since we have had a meet-up at Nissan and one at Schneider, how about our next meet-up at one of the locations that have a FUNCTIONING L3?
I am curious and would like to see/use one.
How many of you have used an L3? I would like to dust off that QC connector and try it.
The weather has been so mild that meeting up during the winter seems easy enough. I have to say, though, that NFL football would prevent me from attending on a Sunday right now.
Also, thanks, Dave for the heads up on the charger at Brentwood Library! Nice PR job, too!!

Eleafgrrl said:
Since we have had a meet-up at Nissan and one at Schneider, how about our next meet-up at one of the locations that have a FUNCTIONING L3?
How many of you have used an L3? I would like to dust off that QC connector and try it.
The weather has been so mild that meeting up during the winter seems easy enough. I have to say, though, that NFL football would prevent me from attending on a Sunday right now.
Also, thanks, Dave for the heads up on the charger at Brentwood Library! Nice PR job, too!!

I'm all for meeting at a place with an L3 charger. Thanks for getting us motivated :) Even if it is cold the day we meet, we can always 'convene inside' while Our cars charge up. The L3 will automatically switch from a charged car to a car waiting for charge, so every 30 minutes or so we could shuffle cars :)

Eleafgrrl said:

Sounds like a plan .. we will all get a charge out of that!

Dave

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:

I'm all for meeting at a place with an L3 charger. Thanks for getting us motivated :) Even if it is cold the day we meet, we can always 'convene inside' while Our cars charge up. The L3 will automatically switch from a charged car to a car waiting for charge, so every 30 minutes or so we could shuffle cars :)

Absolutely. I think this is a great idea. Kelsey from Newton Nissan had messaged me before about our next meetup, and even mentioned getting the thumbs up to provide some door prizes (ie, free tire rotation/gift cards). This was before the holidays, so I can reach back out to her and see if that's still a go (or she may still read the forums!).

I've used a few of the L3 chargers and have been down to the Cracker Barrel in Murfreesboro with plans to charge. However, 4 out of 5 times, both spots were ICEd. All I can do is shake my head. Where ever we plan on meeting (I suppose almost all of our L3s are at CB) we should call ahead, make reservations (if they take them) and insist on making sure the spots are not ICEd.

TNleaf said:
Absolutely. I think this is a great idea. Kelsey from Newton Nissan had messaged me before about our next meetup, and even mentioned getting the thumbs up to provide some door prizes (ie, free tire rotation/gift cards). This was before the holidays, so I can reach back out to her and see if that's still a go (or she may still read the forums!).

I've used a few of the L3 chargers and have been down to the Cracker Barrel in Murfreesboro with plans to charge. However, 4 out of 5 times, both spots were ICEd. All I can do is shake my head. Where ever we plan on meeting (I suppose almost all of our L3s are at CB) we should call ahead, make reservations (if they take them) and insist on making sure the spots are not ICEd.

The Holiday Inn Vanderbilt have a really effective and low tech method of anti-ICEing the EV spots. They put up traffic cones in the spaces. When I arrive I move the traffic cone and plug up!!

Maybe we could suggest they cordon the spaces off somehow.

TNleaf said:
JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:

Yes we can do it :)

How many of you guys can get together on Sunday, alternatively on Monday or on Wednesday?

Then according to the common distances we had to travel last time for the Schneider E. meet up how would you guys
like to meet at Stewards Ferry CB, I live a few clicks away from there and can make sure we have an OK and some "cones" hopefully other then ice at the charging slots!

Ralph

ralphmc said:

How many of you guys can get together on Sunday, alternatively on Monday or on Wednesday?

Then according to the common distances we had to travel last time for the Schneider E. meet up how would you guys
like to meet at Stewards Ferry CB, I live a few clicks away from there and can make sure we have an OK and some "cones" hopefully other then ice at the charging slots!

Ralph

Sunday is my favorite. Weekdays are always tough to predict and get free time.

I like the idea of Stewarts Ferry, that is the closest L3 charger to Nashville and should be convenient for most.

JPWhite said:
ralphmc said:

Ralph

I like the idea of Stewarts Ferry, that is the closest L3 charger to Nashville and should be convenient for most.

+1 here

TNleaf said:
JPWhite said:
ralphmc said:

Ralph

+1 here

I'm cool wid dat, Yo!

I'm in for meet up. If we choose CB at Stewarts Ferry better check L3 status. As of last week Blink was waiting for a repair part for QC. :roll: If we need more L2 charging we could use Kohl's(3 - L2) on Lebanon Pike they usually have the most non-ICE'd pedestals.

fishfool said:
I'm in for meet up. If we choose CB at Stewarts Ferry better check L3 status. As of last week Blink was waiting for a repair part for QC. :roll: If we need more L2 charging we could use Kohl's(3 - L2) on Lebanon Pike they usually have the most non-ICE'd pedestals.
And we have my house BLINK L2 about 1.5 mls down the road.

...now it looks like most of us would like to meet on Sunday, is next week the 29th of January to early?

Or should we shoot for 2 weeks from now?

Ralpmc

Back