My Chevy VOLT Been in the shop 38+ Days, Still NOT Fixed &..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toasty

--- update 10/29/12 --
Update. After 6months of issues, Its Finally Resolved.

A few days after this post.
GM/chevy offered to exchange my car for a new 2013 Volt.

------

On 10/16/12,
I Had to take my car back to the dealer to fix the cracked dash part.
I asked GM (volt adviser) to allow me to take the car into another dealer, but they said NO (since they was the last one to touch the car, they had to fix it).
2 weeks ago, The dealer (shop foreman) claimed the crack wasn't their fault, and i must had hit the dash myself to crack it. (Yet, i never even drove the car off the dealers lot, before bringing it to their attention).

GM should NEVER make a customer and dealer who BOTH are frustrated at one another, to continue in this type of situation. (or any automaker)

(Keep in mind this same dealer, not only messed up my car, not once, but twice before, and now a total of three times, And no i will not say the Dealership by name, more on this later)
1. They put wrong type of fuel in gas tank (as part of the recall)
2. Scratches, Used rivets, and Coolant leaking after battery enhancement. ( and now this)

So after hearing about this story from another Chevy dealer in another state, who was driving a customers Camaro very rough, http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...-story-buys-back-car-satisfied-221510197.html

I decided to install a camera in my VOLT in the passenger headrest during the dash install. And for other safety reasons. (but i never expected to see my volt doing doughnuts in the parking lot, the dealer always drove my car safe, and i've been a customer with this dealership for more than 10+ years in the past, both in service and sales, and didn't have problems with them until now)

It was disappointing to watch the Service Department Foreman obviously frustrated, hitting and slamming my dash in attempts to install it the center stack. (but atleast this time its not cracked as before).
And also watch them sit the old/new dash panel with sharp metal clips on my leather seats.

I doubt no where in the install manual, it states to install and screw things in, while on a customers leather seats.

In his defense, he did try to softly install it at first, but the damn thing just wont stay in there. (even now)

But even in the first few seconds of the video, they didn't know if the car (volt) was on or not.

---- video play by play ---

default.jpg

*WARNING* Explicit Language during video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqOTzgmmtNA&

0:13 (shop foreman) Trying to figure out if the car is on or not.

0:20 (Tech on right) car's not on, it tells you to do that when you get in
It should just pop out (referring to dash?)

(steve)
It suppose to
Only problem is, David been popping it in and out so much.
(I guess david was the one who installed it incorrect the first time)

1:10 Locates crack in dash

1:30 (They begin to talk negative about me)
I don't care, its a FREE country, and he has a right to say whatever he likes.

1:34 (steve) You bend over backwards trying to help somebody, and all they wanna do is cut you down.

1:34 (other tech on right) F*ck em

2:03 He sits old dash part in leather seat with clips facing my leather seats.

2:48 ( Continues talking about me again. )

3:50 David & Steve talk (I guess he is the one who installed the dash the last time, and he still claims he did not send car out with the cracked dash)

6:00 Steve mounts install the screen on the new dash part, while laying it in my leather seat. (is this really the best place to be installing this on?)

10:00 begins to mount dash

11:17 Steve attempts to gently apply pressure to mount dash in

11:35 begins tapping harder

11:46 applies more pressure and begins to get agitated and frustrated

12:10 switches seats (passenger side)

12:35 (steve) oh my god i'm tired *cant understand the rest he said*

13:07 begins pushing dash more, but it still wont go on and stay on

12:58 removes dash, and tries again.

13:22 more pushing and tapping

17:15 finished?

18:00 wipes down dash

Gee, Now i wonder why did it crack the first time???

-----------

So now, i have my volt back at home now, BUT not only none of the original problems have been fixed, and even this NEW dash part, doesn't sit properly.

dash1.jpeg

Looks fine from the front, But lets take a look from the passenger side

dash3.jpeg

After a few hours, the damn dash slides/pops back out.

dash2.jpeg

This is after you push it back in. It still never fully sits back in. I guess this is why he kept banging on it.

dash4.jpeg

and now that this dash has been removed and re-installed SOO many times now, there are scratches, scuff marks, on my dash, and dents/cuts in my leather seats now.

------

So far My 2012 VOLT has been in the shop around 38+/- days.

10/16/12 (Today)
9/19/12 thru 10/2/12 / 14 days
9/08/12
8/29/12 thru 8/30/12 / 2 days
8/23/12 thru 8/28/12 / 6 days
8/09/12
4/24/12 thru 4/28/12 / 5 days
3/19/12 thru 3/22/12 / 4 days

Most of the Time when i took the car in, it was returned with another problem that wasn't there BEFORE i took it in.

Such As...

--- The Original Cracked Dash Issue --

So after leaving the car at the shop on 9/19/12, i got the car back on 10/2/12 (almost 2 weeks later)
The dash was cracked when i got the car back.
(The Shop foreman claimed it wasn't cracked earlier, and i must had hit it myself)

I Sent an email to GM, asking for ANOTHER dealer to fix it, but they said since they was the last dealer to touch it i MUST use them again.

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash5.jpg

dash1.jpg

------

I Sent an email to GM, asking for ANOTHER dealer to fix it, but they said since they was the last dealer to touch it i MUST use them again.

(screenshot of reply here)
email.jpg

And not to be forgotten...
--- Bad Battery Enhancement Recall Experience --

This is how my car looked after i took it in for the battery enhancement recall
Coolant leaking, Liquid Residue everywhere, Scratches, And they used Broken old Screws/rivets .

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

-----------

But after all that, the MAIN reason(s) for taking my car to the shop in the first place is NOT CORRECTED!!!

1. “No Remote Detected” error. (Tons of other post online about this issue)
I did not buy a new car, so when i get in it, it will not start.
If a car comes with REMOTE start it should WORK 100% of the time, not 50% of the time.
I should not have to empty that center tray, remove all my items, and stick the key in that hole to make it start.
Sometimes it will start the car, and say "No Remote detected" while i'm driving the car. wtf?

a.jpg

b.jpg

actual pics (top wont start) and (bottom error during driving).

2. Battery charger door will open while vehicle is in motion.
(tons of other post about this too, It cannot be a good thing for your charger door to open during a rain storm)

Another persons post about it http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17775-Anyone-s-Charge-Port-Door-Pop-Open-While-Driving

The MAIN thing i want fixed.
3. Driver Instrument Cluster and/or Center (Nav/Radio/Climate) display screen will freeze up, turn off, display
incorrect info or icons, or activate and/or change without being touched, and/or Center buttons will not respond.

The center screen will sometimes just freeze, sometimes it will start change without touching any buttons.

4. Metallic Rattle Noise from front of vehicle, (When driving over speed bumps, pot holes, on gravel roads, during braking and/or during turns).

and now

5. Dash (center stack) no longer sits property in my dash. and probably NEVER will again, because its been installed and un-installed at-least 5 or 6 times now.

----- Sent Certified Letter To GM ---

On 10/3/12 I sent GM a Certified Letter, asking them to FIX everything.

So far, I've received NO reply, no phone calls, or anything from them.
Other than the previous email, confirming receipt of the letter.

USPS Tracking Number: 70113500000281987282 (Delivered 10/5/12)
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=70113500000281987282

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Even after all the screw ups, repairs, and issues, 30+ days driving a gas/ICE rental car(s).

Ironically, I still LOVE the VOLT and its powertrain and its potential. (And future ELR)
But I'm scared of "my" VOLT. If all this happens before 12k miles,
whats going to happen after 36k miles when the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up?
I wasn't expecting to have this many problems when i bought a BRAND NEW volt.
Since i purchased mine, vs lease.

Would i buy another one? Maybe.. (Depends on how GM responds).

The Good:
I've gotten over 52+ miles on a single charge. (I would had bought a leaf, but somedays i drive 100+ miles)
Avg around 40miles daily range.
Lifetime gas mileage of 166+ mpg.
10,500+ EV miles, out of 13,500 miles.

(yes, 10,500 EV miles in less than 9months, thats more than some leaf drivers)

Signed This Frustrated 2012 Chevy Volt Owner

I've got to admit that it was while watching the installation of the dash during a "making of" infomercial on the Chevy Volt that I decided against going for one of these cars. Watching that long stretch of primary dash getting installed with all of those electronics tucked away behind it made me realize that if anything ever went wrong back there, you were pretty much SOL. Admittedly, I can't say that the LEAF is put together any differently, but I've made sure to intentionally not watch any "making of" videos for the car in case I saw anything similar that would make me second guess my purchase decision.. ;)

Good luck with your continued wrangling with GM and your dealership! I was recently surprised by a sudden burst of generosity from my Toyota dealership, so perhaps you'll likewise get lucky and someone will realize that they need to make things right in compensation for your years of loyalty.

That's pretty terrible. There is NO WAY I'd go back to that shop. At this point I'd be paying another dealer to fix everything and then going after the dealer who f**ked up my car (and possibly GM too, after what they've put you through) in Small Claims Court.

Good luck with getting it all sorted to your satisfaction.

LOL! Funny to get a Volt commercial before your video. Wanna buy a Volt? Hmmm....no!

Cheezmo said:
Did you mean to post this at gm-volt.com?

+1 -- we know that a number of LEAF owner's have opted (and in some very few cases -- we had one in Chicago) actually trade-in their LEAF for a Volt so perhaps this is a heads up. Rather than an absolute product failure this looks like just simply a bit of neglect by a dealer not getting these issues fixed and/or being sloppy with repairs. Getting captured on tape I'm sure will not bode well with the dealer as you can clearly see 2 out of 3 techs faces. Could end up being a bit of a PR nightmare (although of course techs did not know they were getting recorded). It's a bit tough with the owner/dealer at opposing sides --- several years ago, at a Chevy dealer, I had an old '56 Chevy getting serviced (was in the late '70's I'm not quite that old yet) who had parked my car very close to another so I could not see the passenger side -- I thought it looked a bit suspicious so pulled it out just so I could see that side of the car and they had run into something at the back of the door -- obviously the porter or someone else had damaged it. At first of course denials but then they admitted it and it went into their body shop and was fixed. Before the days of small portable remote cameras but at least this dealer (lived in upstate NY at the time) turned very apologetic and fixed it --- the car had low miles and was very pristine at the time, also it had some red paint transfer so it was pretty obvious it happened while under their care. Your cracked dash may not be as obvious but no doubt being accused of doing it yourself can really p*ss you off! Hopefully this story will have a happy ending ...

redLEAF said:
Rather than an absolute product failure this looks like just simply a bit of neglect by a dealer not getting these issues fixed and/or being sloppy with repairs.

What it looks like to me is, yes, neglect by the dealer's technicians, for sure. But it also looks like maybe whatever the mechanism is for holding that panel in place within the dashboard is only good for initial installation. Unless it failed completely now that there have been 3 installations to it. It would be interesting to get the perspective from anyone else who has had that panel removed and replaced, to see if they fared any better. Obviously, a better place than here for that would be gm-volt.com.

It sounds like this car would meet the requirements of any state's Lemon Law, and if it doesn't now, I would just keep taking it back to the dealer, KNOWING that GM will eventually buy it back, and then you can get a new 2013 Volt.

I'm wondering what power corporate has to see to it these kinds of creeps get canned. I'm guessing corporate (of any auto manufacturer) has very little to say about it though ... and so the same thing will continue to continue.

hill said:
I'm wondering what power corporate has to see to it these kinds of creeps get canned. I'm guessing corporate (of any auto manufacturer) has very little to say about it though ... and so the same thing will continue to continue.
Like the Nissan dealer tech who was ranting here a while ago. That sort of behavior should be discouraged, since it does not project a favorable image of the brand.

surfingslovak said:
hill said:
Like the Nissan dealer tech who was ranting here a while ago. That sort of behavior is not acceptable and does not project a favorable image of the brand.

Dealers are private business, separate from the manufacturer in the USA, so I doubt that there is anything GM will address with a technician.

Now, there may be pressure they can put on the dealer in many, many ways. I'm sure that a company that's been in business for 100 years (with that little BK hiccup) knows how to deal with these situations.

This seems like an anecdotal event - we'll see if this is a pattern for all Volt owners.

Kind of like the first guy in AZ who lost a capacity bar and got blown off by Nissan - that shouldn't have made anyone change their mind on buying the LEAF.. until there was a pattern established.

This is actually a BETTER job than Nissan is doing with my Infotainment system. Two months ago they said they had to replace it. After many calls they haven't made ANY move to fix it. All I've gotten is a run around about how the Leaf tech isn't in or why he hasn't gotten any messages (claims his voice mail wasn't working). Lots of "we'll call you tomorrow".

At this point a bad job would at least be progress. :lol:

SanDust said:
This is actually a BETTER job than Nissan is doing with my Infotainment system. Two months ago they said they had to replace it. After many calls they haven't made ANY move to fix it. All I've gotten is a run around about how the Leaf tech isn't in or why he hasn't gotten any messages (claims his voice mail wasn't working). Lots of "we'll call you tomorrow".

At this point a bad job would at least be progress. :lol:

What... You would rather have a dealer tear your car apart not fix the issues and then put it together looking like crap instead of going to another dealer. To each there own.

Sorry to read about your bad experience. What a terrible service exp. Why don't you want to share the name of this crappy dealer service department. You could save others a nightmare like yours.

EVDrive said:
Sorry to read about your bad experience. What a terrible service exp. Why don't you want to share the name of this crappy dealer service department. You could save others a nightmare like yours.

As of right now i wont share the dealer name.
Like how others have said. Its sometimes not the dealer fault.

I've been a customer (both in service, and sales) at this dealer for more than 10+ years.
I partially, dont blame the dealer, i blame GM for lack of proper training.
If you looked at the video, (in the first few seconds) they didnt even know if the car was on or not.

I also think GM should never make a dealer, and a customer work together after BOTH no longer want to do so.
(ie. they was tired of trying to fix my car, and i was tired of them).
and yet the dealer only gets paid 3/8th of an hour rate to attempt to fix my car. (about $30.00 +/-).
no wonder, they dont want to try to fix it. They are rushing to beat the clock.

I think electric cars are great, but they are much more complicated than a regular ICE car.
and in my case, they are just throwing parts at my car, hopping one of them fix the problems.
And in the case of my screen issues, they just keep applying software updated after software update. (with no luck)

toasty said:
...I think electric cars are great, but they are much more complicated than a regular ICE car...

I sympathize with your experience, but BEVs are, in fact, far less complicated that ICEVs.

PHEVs are way more complicated than either, and that is the principle reason I would expect them to have very high long term operating costs.

Back