My carwings energy numbers - CORRECT post NTB11-041 update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
so this update can only be done at dealer? how long is it?

The service manager said it was 45 minutes under warranty, and complained that it took over an hour.

It was the tech's first try, and he was working from a rather long printout of the "firmware update" procedure.

hmmm. can it be done while charging? if so, i might do it while on run to Seattle. get update and boost at same time... but then again, probably not.

i think i wait till my battery check.

Before you have this update done, you may want to check a day’s odometer miles against the same day's CW “miles driven” daily report, as well as another source, and re-check the same after the update.

I suspect Carwings was actually wrong from delivery, and understated mileage by the same 2.5 % as I have seen since the update, and that I just never noticed this relatively small discrepancy.

This could also explain the similar (identical?) 2.5% discrepancy between “dash” and “screen” miles/kWh, which have remained the same on my car, both before and after the update.

Meaning the higher screen number (4.4 m/kWh screen, 4.3 m/kWh dash, on my car since delivery) rather than the dash, may be correct.

(edit)

edatoakrun said:
Before you have this update done, you may want to check a day’s odometer miles against the same day's CW “miles driven” daily report, as well as another source, and re-check the same after the update.

I suspect my odometer was actually wrong from delivery, understated mileage by the same 2.5 % as I have seen since the update, and that I just never noticed this relatively small discrepancy.

This could also explain the similar (identical?) 2.5% discrepancy between “dash” and “screen” miles/kWh, which have remained the same on my car, both before and after the update.

Meaning the higher screen number (4.4 m/kWh screen, 4.3 m/kWh dash, on my car since delivery) rather than the dash, may be correct.

been there, done that. i immediately compared the odometer measurements against two GPS systems and the two Priuses i had and there was virtually no difference between them. i am pretty sure, car manufacturers are under pretty strict guidelines for accuracy of the odometer. they do have "allowances for error" on the speedometer but odometer needs to be relatively accurate.

DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:

I suspect my odometer was actually wrong from delivery, understated mileage by the same 2.5 % as I have seen since the update, and that I just never noticed this relatively small discrepancy.

been there, done that. i immediately compared the odometer measurements against two GPS systems and the two Priuses i had and there was virtually no difference between them. i am pretty sure, car manufacturers are under pretty strict guidelines for accuracy of the odometer. they do have "allowances for error" on the speedometer but odometer needs to be relatively accurate.

Sorry for my error in the post above. It is Carwings "miles driven", not my odometer, that is incorrect. As wrote on 9/11 in this thread:
I rechecked 2 other recent drives of 85-105 miles and each time CW has erred, under-reporting distance traveled, as compared with both my odometer and Google Maps, by 2.5%, +/- 0.1%.

I'm at Santa Cruz Nissan (where I bought my LEAF) getting my 6-month checkup. They were not going to do the firmware update if I didn't ask about it. When the tech did a search, all he found was the TSB that was about Carwings not communicating at all. Thanks to this forum (and this thread), he was able to find it and print out all 38 pages of it, and get started. We will see how long it's going to take...

I thought that this firmware update was supposed to be done on all LEAFs that are before a certain VIN?

JohnOver said:
Thanks to this forum (and this thread), he was able to find it and print out all 38 pages of it, and get started. We will see how long it's going to take...

When I took my LEAF in for the 6-month inspection, the Nissan dealer where I bought the vehicle could not give me a clear answer on the update (TSD11-041). So I took the LEAF to another dealer and they quickly found the update and did the job with no hassle. I suspect there is a large divide between LEAF-knowledgeable dealers and those that have little knowledge or poor customer service, IMHO. I agree with Johnover, if I didn't follow the information from MNL, I could have easily missed information on upgrades, since my dealer or Nissan did not give me any TSB alerts.

I had a CarWings issue that spanned the period when I was in the dealership for the tire rotation and to have my heater checked.
The CS folks did NOT tell me anything about the need to update th TCU or the CWs until after the dealer visit.

The dealer had NO idea that either needed to be done and so it will wait till the battery check in April. I complained loudly to CS that Nissan should make the dealership aware of the need to do these software fixes. Why should I have to read this website to get necessary service?

No, as with many TSBs, it is on an as-needed basis... It actually is only intended to correct a fairly rare failure to connect problem with the TCU/Telematics and anything else is a side affect and not part of the publicized bulletin campaign. Thus, you will not automatically get it done when the car is brought in as it is not a recall (like with the AC problem).

JohnOver said:
I thought that this firmware update was supposed to be done on all LEAFs that are before a certain VIN?

JohnOver said:
I'm at Santa Cruz Nissan (where I bought my LEAF) getting my 6-month checkup. They were not going to do the firmware update if I didn't ask about it. When the tech did a search, all he found was the TSB that was about Carwings not communicating at all. Thanks to this forum (and this thread), he was able to find it and print out all 38 pages of it, and get started. We will see how long it's going to take...

They have to order an SD card, so no update for me today... <sigh>. Why didn't they have this already? Why could they not download the data onto a fresh SD card?

The tech said that "they don't tell us why, just what to do. There's some secret Ninja **** they don't want to get out." No kidding... I don't want to get him in trouble for being so direct and up-front with me, but I thought y'all would like to hear it.

TomT said:
No, as with many TSBs, it is on an as-needed basis... It actually is only intended to correct a fairly rare failure to connect problem with the TCU/Telematics and anything else is a side affect and not part of the publicized bulletin campaign. Thus, you will not automatically get it done when the car is brought in as it is not a recall (like with the AC problem).

JohnOver said:

Again, on my LEAF, #2184 delivered on 5/16, it also corrected CW energy numbers.

Has it done the same, for others?

Back