Marketing Schmarketing!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterMiller

I really wonder about Nissan's marketing. From disappointment that they squandered the opportunity to get us early adopters working for them to today's receipt of an e-mailed Newsletter from Nissan drawing my attention to the wonderfully equipped and low-priced... Versa! and no mention of the LEAF?
Jeez! Here I am trying to stave off barbs from friends about the wisdom of 'blowing' $40,000 on a "small" car when I could have the Versa for a quarter of that amount! I'm clinging to my mantra "It's for the environment - it's for the environment - it's for the environment." But Nissan ain't making it easy!

PeterMiller said:
Here I am trying to stave off barbs from friends about the wisdom of 'blowing' $40,000 on a "small" car when I could have the Versa for a quarter of that amount! I'm clinging to my mantra "It's for the environment - it's for the environment - it's for the environment." But Nissan ain't making it easy!
I can tell you that the LEAF is a lot more fun to drive than the Versa or anything similar. It also happens to be quiet and smooth like a luxury car, with low operating costs. While it might not have all of the accoutrements, I'll take a LEAF over a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes any day. It's way more cool. Most of us have friends who spend north of $30K on cars they like; why can't we do the same thing?

When you take into account the federal tax credit, possible state credits, fuel savings, ease of use, and lower maintenance costs it is actually a pretty good deal financially. My only concern is that by the time I take my ICE car out again I may have forgotten how to use a gas pump. :?

Well, you're not spending $40K on the car. You'll get $7.5K back...

The way I see it, at MSRP of $34K less $7.5K rebate, you're in the range of a loaded Prius or a loaded Camry. So it's not that far off.

It's much more refined to be in the class of the Versa.

Besides, they're not marketing the Leaf as hard only because they don't have enough to sell. Wait until the Tennessee plant ramp up and produce. I'm sure they'll get more aggressive then.

PeterMiller said:
I really wonder about Nissan's marketing. From disappointment that they squandered the opportunity to get us early adopters working for them to today's receipt of an e-mailed Newsletter from Nissan drawing my attention to the wonderfully equipped and low-priced... Versa! and no mention of the LEAF?
I didn't receive the email so I can't speak to it but it seems logical to try to sell their other cars too, no? I'd imagine that the mail was a generic marketing email. Why not push cars that you can readily and easily buy on the lot w/plentiful supply in all states vs. one where you have to go thru a multi-step process, wait months for and are still unavailable in numerous states?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nissan-north-america-sales-rise-192-in-august-128885818.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows how many they sold of each of their other vehicles in the US last month.

Since you're here, it seems like you're a likely candidate for a Leaf already and don't necessarily need much more Leaf marketing.

40k for Leaf? Someone got ripped off. I am paying only 26k OTD for mine and that's what I am telling anyone who asks... Also that I couldn't afford to buy similar equipped Prius. :D I ran into a few "I can just buy Versa for half the price..." debates and I am starting to think only ignorant person would compare them seriously, totally different cars in so many ways that have the same Nissan badge.

PeterMiller said:
I'm clinging to my mantra "It's for the environment - it's for the environment - it's for the environment." But Nissan ain't making it easy!

Funny. My mantra is the opposite. "It's not for the environment, it's not for the environment, it's not for the environment!"

I may be in the minority on this group, but I did not buy a Leaf for environmental reasons. Don't get me wrong, that is a great extra benefit, but by no means my primary motivating factor. And when I get into arguments with the EV-haters that is the first misconception I have to break with them. They believe that anyone who buys an EV is doing it solely because they are an environmentalist. I get really tired of being labelled a tree-hugger just because I drive an EV when there are so many other good reasons to like an EV than just because it is good for the environment. People used to say the same thing about the Prius, but it has become fairly mainstream now simply because of its high fuel economy and it is high-tech.

Speaking of marketing, I'm glad Nissan got away from the Polar Bear commercials because marketing a car to environmentalists that buy a car based on their feelings for polar bears in another part of the world that they've never been to will only sell so many cars. They really need to market the other advantages of an EV. The "gas powered everything" sort of showed how absurd our gasoline usage is in the world, which I liked.

I agree. It was a secondary consideration for me as well.
And I think, as the EV roll-out continues, you will find more and more people who are of the same mindset.

adric22 said:
Funny. My mantra is the opposite. "It's not for the environment, it's not for the environment, it's not for the environment!"
I may be in the minority on this group, but I did not buy a Leaf for environmental reasons.

PeterMiller said:
I really wonder about Nissan's marketing. From disappointment that they squandered the opportunity to get us early adopters working for them to today's receipt of an e-mailed Newsletter from Nissan drawing my attention to the wonderfully equipped and low-priced... Versa!
At the Philly "Drive Electric" event they asked me 4 times if I'd like to test drive a Versa. I replied: "No, I came to drive the LEAF." They had a static Versa inside the drive electric event and at least one out on the street for test drives. (I did not drive the Versa, but I drove the LEAF twice.)

I'm not sure I get it. How many who might be interested in a LEAF would be remotely interested in a Versa, anyway?

Count me as a Leaf buyer who could care less about the Versa. If the Leaf was not available, I would probably buy a Prius.
And I agree, the Polar Bear ad was cute, but the gas powered appliances ad really hit the mark. I care a lot about the environment, but I'm buying a Leaf because I'm sick of sending my hard earned dollars to Petrol-Dictators who want to kill me.

When you checked the "Keep me posted on everything about Nissan" box during registration, you asked to receive these emails.

Back