Lost bar with 12v batt replacement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEG

I am looking at a 2016 SV for sale. The seller states it had 12 bars, then recently the 12v battery died and after the dealer replaced the 12v battery the car dropped to 11 bars. Coincidence? Anything I should look out for? Thanks.

Dealer may have performed software update for 30 kWh lithium battery controller. How many miles on car and where is it located? Time and climate are major factors in capacity loss with mileage driven as a smaller factor. Battery warranty is good for 8 years from in service date or 100,000 miles on odometer.

Since it is about 5 years old, I would not be too concerned about loss of 1 capacity bar.

Coincidence. The 12 volt on my 5/2013 built '13 Leaf bit the dust in Oct 2015. It was replaced for free under warranty by an "84 month" Nissan 12 volt. It bit the dust in Nov 2019: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=572068#p572068.

Check the battery health with LeafSpy. The early 30kWh packs seem to have a higher defect rate than others. Capacity warranty is 8 years/100k miles for these. All that said, losing 1 bar after 5 years is well within the normal range for this model, depending on climate, etc.

Back