Loss of acceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone who has experienced this and it's not due to user error and NOT due to traction control correctly kicking in, please file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov/. It's preferable to do this after the issue has been resolved/an attempt's been made to resolve it, so that the cause is known.

I had the same problem last winter (first winter for my car). It had the same problem: after releasing brake pedal
acceleration was almost dead (creep only).

After about 10-15 occurrences I was able to diagnose the problem.
It is the brake pedal. Very easy to verify: as soon as this anomaly happens just use your other foot to LIFT
the brake pedal. You will feel that it is not in maximum depressed position (about an inch off).
No error codes, nothing. I had this anomaly only in really cold weather. This winter it happened twice.
It looks like brake pedal might have been too tight and needed some run-in period. Not acceptable :geek:

Hello thank you! I have the same problem with my nissan leaf 2013. But what is the long term solution for this problem?

Hi. Don't know for sure.
If you have that problem now maybe look at the brake pedal closely.
Does it have any obstacles or mud or other debris that restricts movement back.

This winter that almost didn't happen on mine.

About 1 year ago I ran across the following message and it solved the weird brake problem on my 2015 leaf.
-----------------------------------------
"You might want to reset the "stroke Sensor 0 point".

Two taps of the start button, without touching the brake pedal to set the car "On", but not "Ready".

Press the brake down fully, and hold for five seconds, release."
I do not remember where I found this but it definitely worked on my car . My brakes have worked perfectly for over a year since I followed this person's advice . I wish I could remember who posted that!

Netherlands said:
Hello thank you! I have the same problem with my nissan leaf 2013. But what is the long term solution for this problem?
I had the original post several years back on my '14 LEAF. The problem was in the brake interlock that prevents accelerating while applying the brakes. In my case, they replaced a faulty ABS module under warranty along with a software update.

Dan2 said:
About 1 year ago I ran across the following message and it solved the weird brake problem on my 2015 leaf.

Two taps of the start button, without touching the brake pedal to set the car "On", but not "Ready".

I do not remember where I found this but it definitely worked on my car . My brakes have worked perfectly for over a year since I followed this person's advice . I wish I could remember who posted that!

https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/Nissan/085_10_00_Nissan_Leaf_2011-2014_year_Manual_ENGLISH/183.htm
Interesting, there it is in the repair manual.

rogersleaf, was the problem intermittent or it happened like every day?

arnis said:
Dan2 said:

https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/Nissan/085_10_00_Nissan_Leaf_2011-2014_year_Manual_ENGLISH/183.htm
Interesting, there it is in the repair manual.

rogersleaf, was the problem intermittent or it happened like every day?
Intermittent, happened 3 times. Recalling from memory the car was in their shop for several days and they had to call Nissan USA for technical help. They eventually narrowed the problem to the ABS module and a bad electronic signal being sent that the brakes were applied when they were not. After the repair, did not have any further problem for the remaining 2 years I had the car.

Thank you so much for your answer, what do you think of the costs? How long will it take to replace this an can i do this by myself? How long will this cost for an engineer. My car is from 2013 so this is not under warranty?

Do you know how much this device and replacement will aprox cost?

If i go to my dealer, and i already called they dont know they say they need to investigate if this is the issie. But based on your story, if they are working 3 days to investigate the problem i will get a 'big' bill. Because here in the Netherlands you pay 150 euro / hour for a car meganic.

Netherlands said:
Do you know how much this device and replacement will aprox cost?

If i go to my dealer, and i already called they dont know they say they need to investigate if this is the issie. But based on your story, if they are working 3 days to investigate the problem i will get a 'big' bill. Because here in the Netherlands you pay 150 euro / hour for a car meganic.
I recall the module was shockingly expensive, over $2,000 USD at the time. The paperwork I received did not have prices (warranty repair), only way I know was by peaking at their copy while the service advisor walked away for a few minutes. It was expensive enough to convince me to consider an extended warranty plan on the next LEAF. Maybe the part is more common now and not so expensive.

Back