Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beachcliffs said:
Beachcliffs said:
If I hear back from ECOtality or Nissan, I will post another update.
2/16 Update: survey has been verified and kicked up to corporate, should receive an LAR# with in two weeks - we are keeping our fingers crossed.

2/25 Update: In reply to an e-mail I sent requesting a status update, I am told that we are "approved to proceed by the Field Services Director". But, we have not yet received formal notice of such. I remain encouraged, but am not counting on being included in the program just yet. Of course, if car does not arrive in time to qualify for the CCV rebate, I very well might just decide to wait and see what other ZEV options are available next year anyway.

03-03-2011: In the words (via e-mail today) of our local ECOtality Administrator Valerie
"Woo – hoo! Your'e in..." and
"Based upon your survey responses, your account is registered as a pre-approved account. It has been determined that your charger will be at no charge to you."

So, my persistence appears to have paid off. And, I can now confirm that it might not be too late for other people in the Los Angeles area to also qualify. If only the folks at Nissan were as pleasant to deal with as Valerie was at ECOtality!

Anyone else taking part in Leaf focus group in Garden Grove on Friday morning? I will be the one who does not yet have his Leaf.

And Nissan, if you are reading this post, it might be a good idea to move my dashboard off of "May" to a specific week this month or next before I meet with the market research team (especially if I read any more on this forum about others with later order dates but with earlier delivery dates).

When's the next meet ??
Since our delivery might be as early as a week ... who knows ... maybe I'll be in the shiny new ride next time. Then again, it may be 2 ... or 3 next meet-up times.
:?
Each time I check the dash board, I feel a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach ... fearing the daily date change will be some gawd awfull throwback into the next month.

Thanks!
That's plenty o time for the Leaf arrival . . . ESPECIALLY with the good news that there are over 600 in transit, to boot !!

I have to second that! Valerie has been great to deal with! Also everyone (Chris, Shaun, Matt) at Sunwest who installed my Blink!

Beachcliffs said:
If only the folks at Nissan were as pleasant to deal with as Valerie was at ECOtality!

Hi local Angelinos!

Now that you folks got your LEAFs. Wanted to get a better sense from the current LA LEAFers on what range you are seeing while commuting across LA, especially in LA traffic. I've followed some of the other threads on ranges, but wanted to get a more "local" perspective.

I'm out in the Pasadena area but do a cross-city commute to Santa Monica, so want to get a sense if the LEAF fits. But got friends down in OC which think would be pushing the limits.

TIA!

mwalsh said:
daveowenville said:
I am holding my breath on my February delivery, waiting for a bunch of you folks to get yours. Here's my now publicly-stated hope that as you folks start driving the freeways of Los Angeles, you'll start posting your range at real highway speeds (ie 80mph on the 134/210, say.)

I certainly will be. Every day I commute. But I may hold speeds down a bit from 80mph. At least until I verify just what the battery will take.

mogur said:
I have to second that! Valerie has been great to deal with! Also everyone (Chris, Shaun, Matt) at Sunwest who installed my Blink!

Beachcliffs said:
If only the folks at Nissan were as pleasant to deal with as Valerie was at ECOtality!

I am very much looking forward to the day that I get to meet the good folks at Sunwest (or whichever vendor ECOtality chooses to use for our install).

Anyone know if the EV chargers at Helm's Bakery in Culver City (near Father's Office) have been converted over to J-1772 yet? We used to have Mini-E meetups there and it was a great place. But I haven't been in a while. I may need to make a trip soon to scope it out.

In other charger news, I contacted Hermosa Beach since I was told by the mayor they were putting in chargers by the pier. It seems they have the wiring but the EVSE vendor has not started the next steps so they are hoping sometime this year. So it won't be for a while.

Leafpenguin: I avoid freeway most the time and have no problem getting 100 out of the full charge. We have done several 80+ runs with freeway in them without problem. Our best was probably one day we drove on a Saturday from Redondo Beach to Burbank on 110. Bumper-to-bumper < 5mph from USC to the 5. Ended up in Burbank with 90 miles still on the charge estimate. Total was 87 mile with 16 to spare listed even with 65 mph freeway home. Sometimes the traffic is a bonus. I am sure if I did my old freeway commute down 91, I would have no problem with range in all that traffic.

how come there is no big company taking on EV charging station project in LA? Texas got EVGO, with their 1st QC station already in operation, but ECOTotality are dragging their feet and I have yet to heard anything available here in LA.

lettcco said:
how come there is no big company taking on EV charging station project in LA? Texas got EVGO, with their 1st QC station already in operation, but ECOTotality are dragging their feet and I have yet to heard anything available here in LA.
The difference is eVgo has a sustainable pay model (monthly user fee of $50 to $90 a month) to attract site owners, and the ECOtality model requires that site owners PAY matching funds up front. So far, only pay models, like eVgo and Coulomb are installing. ECOtality is also supposed to be installing public L2 sites, and these are missing as well.

The trend is the Department of Energy is going to get the greenwash press from EV Project without having to pay for it. The contract for site owners is too expensive. The model for opportunity charging looks like pay-to-play, will be the way.

Hi!
David and I are in Studio City, CA. We were supposed to receive our Leaf in December. Then it got pushed to May. Now because of the crises in Japan, they are saying July. Curious how many people have gotten their car? We don't know if we can hold out any longer. Anyone hear of how long the delays will be?

Looking forward to seeing your reviews on the car!
Stephanie

I'm in Studio City too! I got my car in January. Sorry to hear about the delays. I promise you the car will be worth it when you get it. I saw one other LEAF last week on Ventura, that was the first one I'd seen besides ours!

WWBD said:
I'm in Studio City too! I got my car in January. Sorry to hear about the delays. I promise you the car will be worth it when you get it. I saw one other LEAF last week on Ventura, that was the first one I'd seen besides ours!

Was your car on time? Do you know if they have charging stations at the Costco's or anywhere else in Studio City? So happy to hear you love it. I'm really trying to hold out, but it's hard getting around LA sharing one car.

The 2011 Alternative Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo is happening this weekend at the Long Beach Convention Center (300 E. Ocean, Long Beach). The LEAF is absent and EVs seem underrepresented but AV and Ecotality look to be present. I work in the immediate area so I may take a long lunch and fly my bright blue EV flag for an hour or two.

Here's a link for those interested: http://www.actexpo.com/

I live near Lake Hollywood and also ordered a Leaf. Was to have been delivered on 4/22 but still waiting. Car is at the dock awaiting delivery. Ordered from Gardena Nissan as Universal didn't want to bargain off of MSRP.

On Friday, April 29th at about 9:15am, I encountered my first other Leaf encounter. It was on Redondo Beach Blvd, near the Gardena Valley shopping center. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...892612,-118.297219&spn=0.020412,0.033088&z=15

I honked and exchanged smiles with the young woman (dark hair) who was driving, but didn't have a red light to be able to chat for a second. Anyone know who this is? I was the first person in my city to take delivery and would like to connect with some other Leaf owners in my area.

SRBast said:
WWBD said:

Was your car on time? Do you know if they have charging stations at the Costco's or anywhere else in Studio City? So happy to hear you love it. I'm really trying to hold out, but it's hard getting around LA sharing one car.

I got my Leaf April 30 and live in Encino. Miller Nissan in Van Nuys delivered 4 or 5 Leafs that week. The Leaf says people can charge for free at the Nissan dealers in Universal City and in Van Nuys.

I know there were the old kind of charging stations at some of the metro parking lots, including the bus lot south of Balboa Park on Hayvenhurst just south of the 101 and Tapia Farms. Not sure if the chargers are still there.

LeafPenguin said:
Hi local Angelinos!

Now that you folks got your LEAFs. Wanted to get a better sense from the current LA LEAFers on what range you are seeing while commuting across LA, especially in LA traffic. I've followed some of the other threads on ranges, but wanted to get a more "local" perspective.

I'm out in the Pasadena area but do a cross-city commute to Santa Monica, so want to get a sense if the LEAF fits. But got friends down in OC which think would be pushing the limits.

TIA!

mwalsh said:
daveowenville said:
I am holding my breath on my February delivery, waiting for a bunch of you folks to get yours. Here's my now publicly-stated hope that as you folks start driving the freeways of Los Angeles, you'll start posting your range at real highway speeds (ie 80mph on the 134/210, say.)

I certainly will be. Every day I commute. But I may hold speeds down a bit from 80mph. At least until I verify just what the battery will take.

I commute from Encino to Santa Monica every day in stop and go traffic on the 405. On the way to work, the downhill 405 totally recharges the battery. On the way back up the hill to the valley, especially if I use air conditioning, I arrive home with about 60 miles left at 100 percent charge.

When I commute from Encino to Glendale on Fridays, I usually have about 50-60 miles left, and that's going 70-75 miles on the freeway.

Would you have a place to charge it in Santa Monica while you're working? I heard Santa Monica Nissan lets people charge there...

Back