Longer range rumor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderLeaf

Hi all,

I hope this isn't the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask about something I recall reading about. It was a discussion here on the forum (I think) but I could not find it in my searches. I recall hearing about someone who had claims to have talked to a technician who worked at a company that provides support for quick chargers in the Phoenix area. They said that this technician reported that he had worked on a QC that Nissan was using to test a newer, bigger battery with 150 miles of range (this was before the recent survey and other comments about 125 miles of range, etc).

Does anyone remember this? Do my search stills just suck or am I just delusional?

Thanks!

BoulderLeaf said:
Hi all,

I hope this isn't the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask about something I recall reading about. It was a discussion here on the forum (I think) but I could not find it in my searches. I recall hearing about someone who had claims to have talked to a technician who worked at a company that provides support for quick chargers in the Phoenix area. They said that this technician reported that he had worked on a QC that Nissan was using to test a newer, bigger battery with 150 miles of range (this was before the recent survey and other comments about 125 miles of range, etc).

Does anyone remember this? Do my search stills just suck or am I just delusional?

Thanks!
The search feature on this forum is one of the worst I have ever seen anywhere. I would recommend using Google instead of the built-in search window. The user profile you describe sounds a lot like "LEAFfan". I would peruse his posts to see if you can find the content you were looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:mynissanleaf.com+leaffan+150+miles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't recall, but there was http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but that wasn't even in the US.

i got some secret informations about bigger batteries,which could be already in production,but no information about the price and the size.

BoulderLeaf said:
I hope this isn't the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask about something I recall reading about. It was a discussion here on the forum (I think) but I could not find it in my searches. I recall hearing about someone who had claims to have talked to a technician who worked at a company that provides support for quick chargers in the Phoenix area. They said that this technician reported that he had worked on a QC that Nissan was using to test a newer, bigger battery with 150 miles of range (this was before the recent survey and other comments about 125 miles of range, etc).!
I do not remember this exact discussion. However, there was a long thread here based on a survey that Nissan sent out asking people their opinions on a EPA 150 mile Leaf (not 125 as you stated). There was also a news story a while back where Nissan was using a Leaf at a racetrack or something and said it had a 48Kwh battery pack (which should give about 150 miles range) But nobody was able to get a close look at the car.

Could be this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&p=318656&hilit=tech#p318656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Stoaty. This post might also be interesting:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15830#p354318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to those links there are also references to Nissan saying that when the new hot battery is available there are going to just plop it in to the manufacturing line.

Yes, I do remember reading here somewhere about a Blink technician saying with confidence that he is aware of a longer range Leaf being tested by Nissan. But again I will dismiss that as an unsubstantiated rumor.

And again today we have a forum member here saying he has secret information on the reality of the same. Nissan has a bigger problem of accelerated battery degradation that they have to fix, before entertaining any thoughts of longer range.

mkjayakumar said:
Nissan has a bigger problem of accelerated battery degradation that they have to fix, before entertaining any thoughts of longer range.

Larger battery makes battery degradation less of an issue.

Suppose your commute is 50 miles. No problem with an 80 mile range initially, even in cooler weather. But as the battery gets close to EOL at 70%, you will be pushing the range hard, as the car's range will drop to 56 miles, and that is 100% to turtle. Very little margin, even on a good day.

Same commute, with a 160 mile initial range. EOL 70% battery will have 112 mile range, no problem making that commute.

The reason why the faster battery degradation than promised hurt at lot of drivers is that many bought/leased without a thought for the commute with an EOL battery on a cold day.

If I was writing the EPA range sticker rules, the range would be quoted with an EOL battery. Oh, and what EOL percentage to pick? The one that is warrantied, of course.

Yep, they are all, almost without any exception, just that: Unfounded rumors with no substantiation.

Hey, I heard from a technician at a dealer who heard form a guy deep inside Nissan who knows someone that he has secret inside info that the next Leaf will be shaped like a Unicorn!

150 miles (or even 120 miles) would be nice! But without radical advances in chemistry, how might they do it?
I've often thought the headroom in the Leaf was a bit much.. I know there are tall people out there, but I would have rather had a lower roof line and slightly better aero..
Alternatively, if they put more batteries under me and I sat 2 inches taller I could live with that.
If the modules contained 3 parallel cells rather than two and the modules were 50% bigger (6 cells total vs 4), the front seats would sit about 2 inches taller (or use different seats), the rear seat floor would be about 1 inch higher, and a few extra modules would have to be moved behind the rear stack (perhaps sideways? Where the old 2011/12 OBC was?) Having 100Ah vs 66Ah would be pretty cool and I could see charging an extra $4k-$5k for that. Let's all hope that whatever the configuration options, that the new heat resistant chemistry works as promised!

TomT said:
Yep, they are all, almost without any exception, just that: Unfounded rumors with no substantiation.

Hey, I heard from a technician at a dealer who heard form a guy deep inside Nissan who knows someone that he has secret inside info that the next Leaf will be shaped like a Unicorn!

I heard that same misty rumor, but the horn stuck out the bottom between the two rear tires. :lol:

GregH said:

I've often thought the headroom in the Leaf was a bit much.. I know there are tall people out there, but I would have rather had a lower roof line and slightly better aero

Me too. I had high hopes for the Infiniti LE. Less frontal area and more kWh, or so I thought. Then Nissan shelved the program.

WetEV said:
Larger battery makes battery degradation less of an issue.
Suppose your commute is 50 miles. No problem with an 80 mile range initially, even in cooler weather. But as the battery gets close to EOL at 70%, you will be pushing the range hard, as the car's range will drop to 56 miles, and that is 100% to turtle. Very little margin, even on a good day.
Same commute, with a 160 mile initial range. EOL 70% battery will have 112 mile range, no problem making that commute.
Initial range of 150 to 160 miles would make most of my weekend outings doable in the LEAF. This alone would make it worth trading up to a new car.

I would also be very interested in a Leaf with a 48Kw battery, but they would have to also include a TMS in order for me to buy/lease. I know all you Southern folks are worried about battery degregation issues which you have the right to be with what we have seen. However I wouldn't throw the cold out the window either. I think Nissan needs to be just as focused on how to make this car work better in the cold. Remember when the temp drops below freezing you won't see the same range even out of a 48Kw battery so I think Nissan needs to fix that too. Otherwise even with a bigger battery, I'm still not interested living in a cold climate. Now I know some of you will say that the lost range won't matter in the cold because you have more to work with to begin with. That is the biggest cop out to not put a TMS on this car that I have ever heard. Nissan NEEDS to address the cold issues just as much as the hot ones and I haven't seen anything done in this department except the stupid battery warmers that are pretty much useless. Lets be real and really warm the battery up to like 70 degrees. Also Heat pump I've heard helps but not under freezing. Again band aid fix, lets get real and really figure out an efficient heating system that works into the negative degree range without affecting the car's range like it does now. Nissan really needs to step it up and do it now before Tesla runs them over which is coming.

TomT said:

Hey! I hear the same thing,Tom. :lol:

It is still exactly that: rumor. There is no substantiation of if or when it would hit production...

Reddy said:
Stoaty said:
Could be this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&p=318656&hilit=tech#p318656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you got the right "rumor". However, here is the thread on real testing of the 48 kWh Leaf, no rumor: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14690

Back