Living with a LEAF in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smidge204 said:
davewill said:
Businesses just don't spend money on things they don't need in the normal course of business. You would think it would be worth renting a generator set considering that you could easily raise prices to compensate.
Oddly enough, gas prices are about the same as they were all through October - maybe even a bit cheaper - despite the shortage. Go figure!
=Smidge=
Speaking of pesky laws and regulations, I believe having laws on the books against price gouging explains this, although economists generally think this is a bad idea. Also something I heard on the radio.

mwalsh said:
Herm said:
Its the law in Florida, all gas stations have generator backup.. many large supermarkets do also.

Not pesky laws and regulations interfering with business owners rights, surely? Jeez, how did that one get passed in Republica?

In Florida, it was the result of all the hurricane hits in 2004 and 2005. A lot of rules went a bit overboard after those two years. Homeowners insurance is still a mess and a scam with premium rates routinely increasing by 20% or more each year.

Of course, after all the hype, we haven't had a significant tropical storm hit the state in seven years. Gas stations have generators they have never used, but need to maintain, and the insurance companies are making a killing and still want to increase the premiums by another 30% next year.

This may not be the right thread for it, but one thing people need to be careful of post-Sandy is used car sales. So many water-damaged cars get sold, refurbished, then retitled in another state and sold as not storm or water damaged that I'm sure there will be many such cases in the near future. I'm not sure the Leaf would be a likely subject of this, but I assume there were some Leafs affected.

Michael Granoff, a fellow electronaut from New Jersey, recorded this video earlier today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RblOHCXKgl8[/youtube]

DaveinOlyWA said:
surfingslovak said:
Michael Granoff, a fellow electronaut from New Jersey, recorded this video earlier today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RblOHCXKgl8[/youtube]

nice! what is he driving?
Pretty sure it's a BMW ActiveE, just like what surfingslovak has.

Well we're bracing for the nor'easter now and gas lines on Long Island are still long, but slightly shorter. I have a full tank on the generator and an extra 10 gallons in cans.
The funniest part about that is that the station near my house had one pump set aside for walkups with cans (10 gal max) and you should have seen the looks I got when I stopped, parked and got of of my Leaf with a gas can. I almost felt silly. But at least I didn't have to wait on line.

All my co-workers spent the week discussing where they could get gas without waiting in line for more then an hour during lunch. I had to carefully avoid these coffee clotches as as soon as I came into ear shot I would enevidably hear, "Hey Bill, can I borrow your car" or sarcastically "I hate you, now I have to go wait on line for gas".

One coworker actually showed up last Wednesday with a brand new Volt after the storm. I had talked to him about the Leaf and Volt and other EVs before the storm and now I have competition for the one 110 outlet at work. He still does not have power at his home, so he can only charge at work. However I noticed that when he began plugging in to the receptacle under mine, my charge time took considerably longer. I should have expected that and since he comes into work later than I we worked out a 1/2 day schedule for the time being.

On a side note:
My company applied for and was accepted to receive the free charge point, but the agreement is still at corperate while the bean counters and lawyers look it over and decide to sign off on it. So still waiting for L2 charging at the office. So things are looking up.

TinMachine said:
The funniest part about that is that the station near my house had one pump set aside for walkups with cans (10 gal max) and you should have seen the looks I got when I stopped, parked and got of of my Leaf with a gas can. I almost felt silly. But at least I didn't have to wait on line.

Hah!.. I love it.. I wonder how many people realized it was an electric car?

Herm said:
TinMachine said:

Hah!.. I love it.. I wonder how many people realized it was an electric car?

Quite a few actually and one gentleman waiting behind me asked about it, i.e. how do you like it and hwo lucky you have an EV NOW, etc.
The funny part was when I was loading the cans into the trunk and several cars waiting online near by, gave me a puzzled look, so I have to assume they relaized it was and EV, loading gas cans....
I would have imediately thought..that guy has a generator, but that's me.

Perhaps things are better out in Suffolk, but here in Nassau the gas lines are still really, really long. I just drove home in a snow-storm, going 10 mph the whole way with the heat blasting (3.0 mi/kWh, my lowest ever), and I passed two gas lines, each over half a mile long. Sad thing is, I need to put air in my tires, and all the gas stations are either roped off or have huge lines, and I don't want to cut just for air.

NYLEAF said:
..., I need to put air in my tires, and all the gas stations are either roped off or have huge lines, and I don't want to cut just for air.
A bicycle pump works; I've done it. Good excercise if all four are really low :roll:

NYLEAF said:
Sad thing is, I need to put air in my tires, and all the gas stations are either roped off or have huge lines, and I don't want to cut just for air.
What's wrong with the pump in the back of the car? Yes, it is a real pump, and a fairly nice one at that, and no, you don't have to (and don't ever want to) use the goop with it. In case you didn't know you had it, it's in a plastic case hiding behind a door on the left side of the hatchback storage area.

Ray

planet4ever said:
What's wrong with the pump in the back of the car? Yes, it is a real pump, and a fairly nice one at that, and no, you don't have to (and don't ever want to) use the goop with it. In case you didn't know you had it, it's in a plastic case hiding behind a door on the left side of the hatchback storage area.

Ray
Totally forgot about that one ... must have been forgotten along with the "don't ever want to use the goop ... so I'll pretend the whole thing doesn't exist." ... seemed to have worked on my brain :lol:

LEAFer said:
planet4ever said:

Ray
Totally forgot about that one ... must have been forgotten along with the "don't ever want to use the goop ... so I'll pretend the whole thing doesn't exist." ... seemed to have worked on my brain :lol:

LOL!! you aint the only one!

Just sharing this notice from Banfield regarding pets affected by Sandy (Banfield is inside our Kansas City PetSmart stores):

Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:30 PM
Subject: A message to our clients and neighbors affected by Hurricane Sandy

Our concern, thoughts and support go out to those affected by Hurricane Sandy. To assist the clients and pets in our communities affected by the storm and to ensure they receive the care they need, Banfield Pet Hospital® is waiving office visit fees through Sunday, Nov. 11 in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Virginia. The waived office visit fee covers a physical examination by the veterinary team but excludes any testing, treatments or medications. Please bring your pet in need to your nearest Banfield.

At this time, we still have a small number of hospitals affected by Hurricane Sandy. Please call ahead to find out if your hospital is open and to schedule an appointment. Although pets may not have direct injuries as a result of the hurricane, they may display other signs of stress, such as diarrhea, reluctance to eat or go outside, general malaise, nervousness or other behavioral changes. Whether or not you are directly affected by the hurricane, please forward this email to family or friends who may benefit.

If you have any concerns about your pet's behavior or overall health, please contact the nearest Banfield Pet Hospital.

To find a hospital near you, visit Banfield.com.

Sincerely,
Banfield Pet Hospital

(The bolding and underlining was placed by me.)

Back