LEAF wreck. Oh, the horror!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than likely totaled. As a Volt owner, we are seeing Volts totaled very quickly by the insurance company. When they arent intially totaled, they get totaled later due to the lack of parts available right now (this is what I have read from an owner that the car sat in the shop for 2 months trying to get parts, and the insurance company finally gave up). My insurance raised about $150 a year over my 2011 Mini. I suspect the insurance company actuaries will be placing this car in a higher category next year.

mwalsh said:
adric22 said:
What is that white box looking thing on the driver's side?
12v battery, tipped on it's side, would be my guess.
Same. Also looks like it cracked open, meaning it's been leaking acid. Fun!

Thanks for the extra pics, BTW.

planet4ever said:
Huh? What's illegal about passing a vehicle on the right when it is in a center turn lane?
Nothing, except that road is only one lane in each direction. Looks like the bus was making a left and this guy tried to pass on the shoulder. Bus starts the turn and rear overhang swings out, guy wasn't far enough into the shoulder and/or too close (and going too fast) to react in time, and dives under the bus' right rear bumper.

Except for maybe the driver's side CV joint, the drivetrain might be in good shape. Maybe with that and the battery he could build himself a new car :D
=Smidge=

They are already are. State Farm notified me that THE LEAF HAS BEEN PLACED IN A HIGHER CATEGORY AND THAT MY RENEWAL RATE WOULD GO UP IN mARCH. (Stupid Caps Lock key!)

CarZin said:
I suspect the insurance company actuaries will be placing this car in a higher category next year.

TomT said:
They are already are. State Farm notified me that THE LEAF HAS BEEN PLACED IN A HIGHER CATEGORY AND THAT MY RENEWAL RATE WOULD GO UP IN mARCH. (Stupid Caps Lock key!)

CarZin said:
I suspect the insurance company actuaries will be placing this car in a higher category next year.
+1. I am with Allstate and my rates went up 15% or so on my first 6 mo. renewal policy. I called and asked my agent why, and he said the Leaf had been moved up to a higher "rate class" since I bought it.

So much for "lower insurance rates" as a selling point for EVs. :evil:

planet4ever said:
smkettner said:
Nekota said:
I wonder if the process of turning caused the back of the bus to swing into the traffic lane, guessing from the picture there is a center turn lane.
Good chance he was illegally passing on the right and the back end swung out a grabbed the front fender.
Huh? What's illegal about passing a vehicle on the right when it is in a center turn lane?

OK I was taught as a kid it was dangerous and illegal to pass on the right. So I had to look it up. Looks like it was amended in 2010 and I don't know the previous language. Looks like passing a vehicle stopped for a left turn is legal(a). Still it would appear burden of safety is on the person passing on the right to ensure there is plenty of space on the roadway and the shoulder may not be used (b). This is CA law your state may vary.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21754.htm

Passing on the Right
21754. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

Amended Sec. 39, Ch. 491, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.

Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
have had a dozen reports of accidents but none as bad as this one. although it looks severe, its crumple zones sacrificing themselves for the passenger.

I think the Leaf dove under the bus, and if Mr Hill had been going much faster he would have not survived.. the only crush zone that worked was the aluminum hood and a "valve" cover. I have no idea how you can miss seeing a school bus.

It doesn't look to me that the valve cover got touched, but the whole motor assembly, and left front wheel, looked "tweaked".

lukati said:
DTB said:
I wonder if this would have made news if it wasn't a LEAF? If it was a different car would the title be, "Gas Car Collides with School Bus"?
Probably not. Apparently, Gaston Rural Fire District and ODOT also responded to the scene. I doubt that would have happened with a regular car.

I bet you could rear end an empty school bus with a bicycle and the fire department and state department of transportation would still respond. If it involves a school bus, kids or empty, they're going to be there. Not everything has to be because of electric cars.

kevin672 said:
I bet you could rear end an empty school bus with a bicycle and the fire department and state department of transportation would still respond. If it involves a school bus, kids or empty, they're going to be there. Not everything has to be because of electric cars.
While a fire truck will come with most any vehicle accident (in case they have to extract the passenger), in OR a fire truck comes even for a medical situation (probably b/c the ambulance's are private). I had an insulin reaction in my sleep a while back and my wife called for an ambulance and we also got a cop and a fire truck too. Our (local) tax dollars at work....

Yes, it made the local newspaper

http://www.newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=electric+car+collides+with+empty+school+bus--1328034988--2551--home-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(credit to Chelsea Sexton for the link, who posted this on her facebook page):
http://www.facebook.com/evchels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smidge204 said:
Same. Also looks like it cracked open, meaning it's been leaking acid. Fun!
=Smidge=

Like with the Volt and it's conductive coolant, it strikes me that a box full of liquid sulfuric acid may not be the best idea for something in the guts of an electric car. I wonder about the prospect of putting in an AGM of equivalent capacity. The only thing that gives me pause is whether or not the LEAF's 12V charging algorithm would be inappropriate for an AGM chemistry battery. If nothing else, I've always been very happy with the corrosion-free aspect of AGM batteries. Ever since my '90 Miata I've stuck with AGM, even replacing nearly-new batteries in other cars. I hate needlessy dealing with corrosion and crud.

mitch672 said:

http://www.newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=electric+car+collides+with+empty+school+bus--1328034988--2551--home-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OR credit to Mike Walsh, who posted it in the very first post of this thread! :?

I have already looked at a Leaf with similar damage (but probably not as bad since the battery, etc was still in the right spot) and it ended at about $9k on one of those online salvage auctions.

I would make the offer, if anyone here gets their car "totalled" and the buyout from the insurance company is single digits AKA $5k, $6k etc and the battery and drivetrain are still most ALRIGHT...

Let me know and I will buy it plus give a little premium, nissan drivetrain in a smaller EV car would be quite invigorating. :)

I would estimate those of you here would just buy it back and fix though if that happens.

Ah well.

Nissan better gets hold of this one and locks it up before it catches fire in some warehouse afer 3 weeks :twisted: and they're having a Volt-style publicity nightmare on their hands :p

If somebody seriously wants to bid on this LEAF,
you can PM me, since I believe I have Robert Hill's address.

A great opportunity to get all the important pieces on a test bench!

It just takes money, space, time, and the interest. :D

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:

OR credit to Mike Walsh, who posted it in the very first post of this thread! :?

Whoops. As Rosanne Roseanna Danna used to say "Never Mind."

Is that a 100% electric / MyNissanLeaf.com license plate frame on the front?

nissancrash.jpg

Back