LEAF wreck. Oh, the horror!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you've gotten a new car seeing that model in a wreck for the first time somehow makes you feel vulnerable.

Nubo said:
When you've gotten a new car seeing that model in a wreck for the first time somehow makes you feel vulnerable.

someone's gotta be first! it all starts somewhere. have had a dozen reports of accidents but none as bad as this one. although it looks severe, its crumple zones sacrificing themselves for the passenger.

have to guess its good that the Leaf had all its air in the tires. if it was riding any lower, might have ended so well

MrIanB said:
Can you say, "cell phone involved" and distracted the driver?? I think so unless in heavy fog but, dang that is a big ass bus, how could you miss it with the yellow color. lol
I used to think the same way, until I heard about people who drive into the side of a train. I used to know where there was a funny Youtube video of a car driving into the side of a short-line site-seeing railroad car.

lukati said:
DTB said:
I wonder if this would have made news if it wasn't a LEAF? If it was a different car would the title be, "Gas Car Collides with School Bus"?
Probably not. Apparently, Gaston Rural Fire District and ODOT also responded to the scene. I doubt that would have happened with a regular car.
I'm sure that, after the news about Volt batteries catching fire after impact tests, they didn't want to chance it.

Generally the salvage value of a totaled vehicle is 25% of blue book-- If the insurance sells it for this some salvage yard is going to do very, very well. The battery along will be worth more than the cost.

I suspect this one IS totaled because of the parts cost, all indications are that Leaf parts are pricey (and slow to arrive). If the drive-train and inverter are damaged, and it looks like they might be (not to mention front suspension, headlight, aluminum hood....) it is to cost too much to fix. This will be interesting if we have some way to find out.... Anyone try and call Robert Hill?

SteveInSeattle said:
Generally the salvage value of a totaled vehicle is 25% of blue book-- If the insurance sells it for this some salvage yard is going to do very, very well. The battery along will be worth more than the cost.

I suspect this one IS totaled because of the parts cost, all indications are that Leaf parts are pricey (and slow to arrive). If the drive-train and inverter are damaged, and it looks like they might be (not to mention front suspension, headlight, aluminum hood....) it is to cost too much to fix. This will be interesting if we have some way to find out.... Anyone try and call Robert Hill?

Allstate isn't charging me all that much to insure the Leaf perhaps because there is no data. I fear once insurance companies will get a whiff of what it costs to repair these things the rates will go up substantially.

Here are more details from KPTV.

GASTON, OR (KPTV) -

A 71-year-old man was injured during a collision with a school bus Tuesday morning.

According to Oregon State Police, it happened at approximately 7:10 a.m. on Highway 47, about a mile south of Gaston.

The bus did not have any passengers at the time.

A trooper at the scene says the bus was heading northbound on Highway 47 and in the process of turning left onto Goodin Creek Road when the bus was struck in the rear.

That 2011 Nissan Leaf four-door was driven by 71-year-old Robert N. Hill.

Hill was cited for Careless Driving.

He was examined at the scene for minor injuries but was not taken to a hospital.

The bus driver was not injured.

tps said:
lukati said:
DTB said:
I wonder if this would have made news if it wasn't a LEAF? If it was a different car would the title be, "Gas Car Collides with School Bus"?
Probably not. Apparently, Gaston Rural Fire District and ODOT also responded to the scene. I doubt that would have happened with a regular car.
I'm sure that, after the news about Volt batteries catching fire after impact tests, they didn't want to chance it.
and that's the problem. It has now been ingrained into the collective mind that EVs catch fire when involved in an accident. These early impressions matter and it will take a long time for them to go away.

I wonder if the process of turning caused the back of the bus to swing into the traffic lane, guessing from the picture there is a center turn lane. And you know that left window post does obstruct the view at just the wrong place too. It might be easier to happen than you think...

Nekota said:
I wonder if the process of turning caused the back of the bus to swing into the traffic lane, guessing from the picture there is a center turn lane. And you know that left window post does obstruct the view at just the wrong place too. It might be easier to happen than you think...
+1 the front bumper looks intact. Good chance he was illegally passing on the right and the back end swung out a grabbed the front fender.

MrFish said:
Was probably distracted by repeatedly pressing OK to clear the Carwings message. :twisted:

Distracted, yes. I felt the same way this morning when I had to push decline three times before the carwings driver distraction prompt went off. All this drama happened while I was turning right at an intersection when schoolchildren were trying to cross the street. Same thing every morning again, again and again and yet again. Decline... until I need to update stations once a month, then I'll accept.

DaveinOlyWA said:
have had a dozen reports of accidents but none as bad as this one. although it looks severe, its crumple zones sacrificing themselves for the passenger.

I think the Leaf dove under the bus, and if Mr Hill had been going much faster he would have not survived.. the only crush zone that worked was the aluminum hood and a "valve" cover. I have no idea how you can miss seeing a school bus.

smkettner said:
Nekota said:
I wonder if the process of turning caused the back of the bus to swing into the traffic lane, guessing from the picture there is a center turn lane.
Good chance he was illegally passing on the right and the back end swung out a grabbed the front fender.
Huh? What's illegal about passing a vehicle on the right when it is in a center turn lane?

I must say the notion of the rear of the bus swinging out into the through lane as it turns is scary. If that is the scenario, I could have been that man. I'm not sure he deserves all the blame, if so. I've never driven a bus, but I have driven a class C motor home, built on a truck chassis with a long overhang at the back. I was always very careful about it swinging out on turns. If I had been in a fairly narrow turn lane I would have started the turn very gradually, or waited until no traffic was approaching from behind.

Ray

Better pics:

013112.hwy47mp27.bus.1.JPG

013112.hwy47mp27.bus.2.JPG

mwalsh said:
Better pics:

What is that white box looking thing on the driver's side? Also, can anyone see any trace of the headlight? Did it just disappear into a million crunched pieces of plastic, or is it possibly laying on the street somewhere?

planet4ever said:
smkettner said:
Nekota said:
I wonder if the process of turning caused the back of the bus to swing into the traffic lane, guessing from the picture there is a center turn lane.
Good chance he was illegally passing on the right and the back end swung out a grabbed the front fender.
Huh? What's illegal about passing a vehicle on the right when it is in a center turn lane?

I must say the notion of the rear of the bus swinging out into the through lane as it turns is scary. If that is the scenario, I could have been that man. I'm not sure he deserves all the blame, if so. I've never driven a bus, but I have driven a class C motor home, built on a truck chassis with a long overhang at the back. I was always very careful about it swinging out on turns. If I had been in a fairly narrow turn lane I would have started the turn very gradually, or waited until no traffic was approaching from behind.

Ray

Google maps shows no turning lane at the intersection of Hwy 47 and Goodin Creek Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=gaston&hl=en&ll=45.416882,-123.134063&spn=0.00074,0.001167&sll=45.323186,-123.151588&sspn=0.189735,0.298691&hnear=Gaston,+Washington,+Oregon&t=h&z=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back