Leaf towing trend?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

bet Nissan tracks how many people have benefited from the 7 free car tows if they get stranded by their Leaf. I myself never been stranded, wonder what the statistics say, as more Leafs are in the wild yonder, how many tows have been done and how many per thousand Leafs? is this a increasing statistic trend, or are Leaf owners learning about the range and using the car for its intended range?

Post your experiences with Nissan free towing.....

Well, I haven't been towed, but I have clearly learned about range on our 2 new Leafs, now about 1 month old. The only time we got to VLBW was a few days after taking delivery, and didn't realize how useless the GOM was. I lent the car to my daughter to go to a wedding about 18 miles away, GOM said we had 45 miles, so I figured "no problem," and told my daughter not to make any side trips, just to wedding and home. She called about 10:30 that night about 15 miles away and said she had LBW. She got VLBW about 4 miles from home and made it home w/o hitting turtle, but just barely. We now have about 1000 miles on each car, and no more VLBW, and only get LBW when have planned for it.

No tows yet but sooner or later I am probably going to get a flat I can't fix in the field; no spare tire is annoying. I'll likely call my insurance towing since it would be worse than useless to get towed to a Nissan dealer out of LEAF range of my house.

I am curious how much luck people have had in persuading Nissan towing to take them home rather than to the dealer as required.

I'd just use my Triple A which will take me anywhere I want to go within 100 miles...

dgpcolorado said:
I am curious how much luck people have had in persuading Nissan towing to take them home rather than to the dealer as required.

dgpcolorado said:
I had no trouble getting Nissan to tow me home rather than the dealer. Home was closer. I also had no trouble getting AAA to tow me to the dealer either.

By the way, Having some turtle left is WAY better than running it til it shuts off. I'm just sayin' pushing a leaf 'cross a parkin lot, slightly up hill, to a DCFC, is no fun. And driving it onto the flatbed is better than winchin' it on too.

I may need 2 tows here real soon. I bought the car and drove home from the dealership about 45 miles when new and had 4 bars left. now 45 miles leaves me at VLBW 4 miles and 1 bar . I need to take the car in for the 24000 mile battery check. if I cannot make it there I will not be able to make it home. I wonder if the dealer will just tow it or if I will need to be stranded on the side of the highway first.

I had to use the free towing in January of 2012 when my car ran out of juice 3 miles from the dealer on my first annual battery usage report. 83 miles. This January, I hauled my LEAF on my flatbed both ways. No hope of making it.

I agree with not running much below turtle. If you do press on to where the contactor opens, the car is much more difficult to move.

No experience with trying to get them to haul the car to the dealer if it hasn't already run out of battery.

-Karl

Because of my confusion with how the Charging timer works (and lack of accurate feedback from L2 chargers or the LEAF), I had to get towed about 20 miles to the nearest DC quick charger. I did it through Nissan's roadside assistance and there was no problem. It was late at night and going to a dealer wouldn't have helped. (And had the EV Roadside Assistance people been a little more knowledgeable, they would have been able to explain the L2 timer/charging problem and avoid having to send the tow truck altogether.)

mbender said:
(And had the EV Roadside Assistance people been a little more knowledgeable, they would have been able to explain the L2 timer/charging problem and avoid having to send the tow truck altogether.)
I don't believe the people on the roadside assistance help desk are anything beyond call takers, expecting them to know anything about the the LEAF is not realistic.

mksE55 said:
I may need 2 tows here real soon. I bought the car and drove home from the dealership about 45 miles when new and had 4 bars left. now 45 miles leaves me at VLBW 4 miles and 1 bar . I need to take the car in for the 24000 mile battery check. if I cannot make it there I will not be able to make it home. I wonder if the dealer will just tow it or if I will need to be stranded on the side of the highway first.
You do know that it’s an ANNUAL battery check, right? Looks to me that you aren’t due until October. (no need to use up your two free inspections sooner than you have to :)

I haven’t experienced any tows till the date but may be sooner or later I am probably going to get a flat I can't fix in the field. I think no spare tire is annoying. On facing such situation, I will definitely call insurance towing since it would be worse than useless to get towed to a Nissan dealer out of LEAF range of my house.

Back