Leaf Test Drives in the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat said:
I drove right to the Woz Way lot where the tour is set up and parked. It's only $7 for all day so it's not worth sweating over. No rain yet. We may be the only big city in the country where driving into downtown at 9AM is the counter-commute direction.

Anyway, the test drive was fine, if unexciting. All the wait (20 min. before our group was called) and blather ahead of time (another 30 - 40 mins.) was unavoidable but unnecessary for anyone on this forum. The only thing I learned new was that the Carwings pre-heat or cool option only works if the car is plugged in, so you can't pre-cool the car when it's sitting in a hot parking lot (unless you have a plug there). He said it was a safety issue. So I'll use that feature only in my garage - no need for a cell phone, etc. I didn't like the way they characterized the trickle charge during the presentation as mainly an emergency feature. The presenter said it takes 18 hours to charge on that, and only when someone asked if that was based on having no charge remaining did he confirm that was so. He said "everyone" will have a docking station at home to charge it at Level 2. Not me.

My wife pointed out something else I hadn't read here: the crowd was almost devoid of obese people, unlike just about any other random crowd of adults. Must be something about the demographics of Leaf buyers. The rear window has less visibility than I thought, but the small aperture doesn't affect the area of visibility significantly when the rear seat headrests are up, since they limit the width seen in the rear view window anyway. If those seats are down or the headrests removed, then you have the full aperture, but as I said, it's on the small side. We didn't get to take in out on the freeway, just a few blocks so I didn't get much of a feel for the handling and pickup, and the gal who rode with us was a local who didn't seem to know much about the car. There were three of us in the car and it seemed to have plenty of pickup from a stop, etc. Due to the short trip, the Nissan aide being unknowledgeable, and the heavy city traffic, I really couldn't get any feel for using the nav screen or other screens, radio, etc. My wife's reaction: "it's a car." Still it was worth getting a feel for it. I glad I went.

I am obese. I am test driving at the Woz lot tomorrow. Unless I don't like the test drive I will take delivery of my Leaf which I ordered earlier this week.

San Jose test drive --

My wife, adult son and I arrived at the Woz lot about 1pm Friday. It was crowded. Forgetting everything I had read about the procedure, I immediately got into line, waited 20 minutes and was told I needed a wristband. Ok, be sure to go to the beginning of the process and sign in first. No big deal, we met some nice Leafers in line and were able to re-join the line at the front after getting our wristbands.

I enjoyed the drive and agree with pretty much everything others have said. It fits the three of us fine. Acceleration is great, ECO mode is like putting a brick on the go-pedal. Steering is light (but great if you have medical issues). I'm getting more used to the funky looking backside of the car. We've already ordered blue and are happy about that. Most of the people staffing the event are only there for the weekend and we know more than they do. I was directed to one of the tech people to ask questions but he also advised me to call an 800-number on the handout to get answers. I had asked (1) explain the current possible misconceptions about battery warranty and (2) has anyone actually driven it up a mountain pass, like the Grapevine to LA? (again, call the 800-number)

I also met with a couple of folks from Broadway Nissan of Redwood City. They were out front to sell the idea of buying from their dealership and to answer more questions. I asked them if, in the future, I drove by their dealer ship and they had an open charger, could I charge up on their dime? Sure, they said. Then, is Nissan trying to persuade other dealers to commit to the same hospitality? I got the understanding that, even though the dealers are independent, Nissan is doing whatever can be done to have all Leaf dealers let us use their charging facilities as much as possible.

Finally, about quick chargers at businesses. The Nissan people give me the impression that they think we'll want quick charging close to home. This makes no sense to me. I want quick charging in areas that are well traveled but between population centers. For example, I'd like Casa de Fruita on highway 152 between Gilroy and Los Banos to have quick charging. Well, the Broadway Nissan rep said one of his employees' relatives is one of the Casa de Fruita owners and he will pursue this option!

Overall, a great visit and worth taking the day off and driving from Fresno to San Jose for the Leaf tour. Happy camper here.

Sitting in the Children's Museum of San Jose (well worth the ten bucks, by the way) after my test drive.

Impressions? This car might actually be worth what they are asking for it.

Biggest deal to me? With a Recaro Vivo booster and my 7 year old in the back seat, his feet couldn't reach the back of the driver's seat when set to my normal driving position. No feet in my back, FTW.

P.S. For those of you who purchased your vehicle from North Bay Nissan expecting to receive their cars before 2014....My wife, who chose not to participate in her Nissan Experience overheard no fewer than three conversations where the PD mentioned was NB Nissan.

mwalsh said:
Clippy said:
P.S. For those of you who purchased your vehicle from North Bay Nissan expecting to receive their cars before 2014.....

You've lost me with the reference to 2014...is that a typo? If not, could you clarify?

If you believe, as I do, that even the current orders will be subject to a quota of some sort, well let's just say it looks as long as the lines that were present at the test drive today.

Clippy said:
If you believe, as I do, that even the current orders will be subject to a quota of some sort, well let's just say it looks as long as the lines that were present at the test drive today.
Why would you believe that ? If someone (A) ordered/reserved before (B) - but gets a later delivery date - you can be sure they will start a major fight.

evnow said:
Why would you believe that ? If someone (A) ordered/reserved before (B) - but gets a later delivery date - you can be sure they will start a major fight.

Because I think a whole bunch, I mean a whole bunch of people who were very early in the ordering process selected North Bay for their PD. And I just don't think Nissan is going to say, "OK, out of the first 500 Leafs make sure that 50 or so get sent to North Bay and forget everyone else."

We'll see how it all shakes out. But if I'm wrong, hurray for me.

Clippy said:
Because I think a whole bunch, I mean a whole bunch of people who were very early in the ordering process selected North Bay for their PD. And I just don't think Nissan is going to say, "OK, out of the first 500 Leafs make sure that 50 or so get sent to North Bay and forget everyone else."
If that is how the people ordered, that is where they goes. There is not a chance that Nissan will risk a major PR problem. They have changed the procedure a bit now - but definitely not retroactively.

Clippy said:
We're off topic, but since many will read this here, I'll reply here. My dealer said the cars are already in production and each is made to order. They are being manufactured in the same order the purchases come in, so Nissan really can't shift one car (e.g. mine) to someplace else. They don't want unshipped cars sitting around, so they'll send mine to my dealer when it's made. I don't see quotas as working.

This drive report is from the UK, but it provides more info than the usual magazine video.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/18/video-auto-express-takes-the-2011-nissan-leaf-for-a-whirl/

The driver gets it up to some fun cornering speeds and really seems to be enjoying himself.

One interesting comment, Nissan warranties the battery for only 5 years in Britain. Hmmm... No Volt to compete with and no CARB to satisfy over there (though Europe will have the GM Ampera, which is a Volt).

He quotes Nissan's pessimistic 0-60 mph in 11.5 seconds, but I think we know it's faster than that.

Rat said:
Driving a Leaf has nothing to do with long distance running, IMO. ... The Leaf is an engineer's or programmer's car, not a marathoner's car.
Who says it can't be both a programmer's car and a marathon/long-distance runner's car?

I've been a programmer for over 30 years, and a (slow) marathon (and longer, mostly) runner for about 3. I was thrilled to see the Leaf when I saw it in the TV coverage of the NYC marathon, though I'll be even more thrilled when I can drive one to a race.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2010/12/20/nissan-leaf-a-road-test/

Describes the low range in the cold DC weather - along with high speed freeway driving.

Sorry if this is a silly question or if it's answered elsewhere - not sure how to search for this: regarding the test drives on the drive electric tour, if I reserve my drive time, I assume my wife and child get to ride with me (but in the back, since they provide a "co-pilot")? What if my wife wants to drive too - does she need to schedule her own time separately? Then do we get to drive twice as long, just switching drivers at some point?

Thanks for any info!

StrangerTides said:
Sorry if this is a silly question or if it's answered elsewhere - not sure how to search for this: regarding the test drives on the drive electric tour, if I reserve my drive time, I assume my wife and child get to ride with me (but in the back, since they provide a "co-pilot")? What if my wife wants to drive too - does she need to schedule her own time separately? Then do we get to drive twice as long, just switching drivers at some point?

Thanks for any info!
Yes your wife can register at the drive event and then drive when time slot is open.

StrangerTides said:

Thanks for any info!

Your wife will need a wristband to drive the car....I'd suggest making a reservation for her, too. If she can't make it, no worries. You both will drive the same circuit that everyone else drives...after you drive, you'll be able to swap drivers after your 'circuit' without having to go to the back of the line or anything.

At least that's how it worked in San Diego.

Yes she will need the wrist band but when he checks in you can sign her up at that time that is the way it was done in AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVWsDlhJzQ&feature=related

Nothing much new in this road test, except...

The reviewer is one of the few who praises the LEAF's looks, and gushes over the "old Citroen" "sculpted" design.

Maybe the personal reason I also find the LEAF good looking, given the form-follows-function dictates of a 5 passenger vehicle, is that of all the cars I've owned, my favorite sedan was my Citroen DS, which looked like this one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7SczI5autzw/SwriDD5MWCI/AAAAAAAAGWo/8upDzXqOYjA/s1600/citroen_ds_02.jpg

Many also found this car "odd" looking when introduced, but almost 60 years later, I'm not alone in believing it to be a high point of 20th century automotive design.

Good car designs, IMO, integrate the design features with the underlying technology.

And my own review of the LEAF, particularly after I got as good look at the SF Drive event, is that Nissan did a rather good job of integrating the requirements of the EV (aerodynamic efficiency, short nose, high seating to accommodate battery space, etc.) in the overall design.

Ask me again in 50 years.

StrangerTides said:

Thanks for any info!

My wife also wanted to drive the leaf, but I was the only one with a pre-arrranged drive time. When we got there, she told them she also wanted to drive, we both signed up and we both got wrist bands. I took the first lap and when we got back, we switched seats and went for lap 2. We were there pretty early (8 am) and there wasn't a long line. We probably could have gotten back in line and done another lap or 2. It seemed pretty loose.

Back