Leaf sales remain low. Nissan ads missing the target ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how it should go:
Guy gets pulled over by a cop after a thrilling high speed chase (at some point an old man has to make a face and shake his fist)in his leaf.....cop says this is the 3rd time this week. Leaf driver laughs and says he's using the money he used to pay for gas to pay the speeding tickets. Has about a million dollars on the passenger seat...Cranks up the stereo after he gets and pays his ticket and peels out screeching his tires. Cut back to the cop who takes a bite out of his donut.
Alternatively the leaf driver could be a super hot chick scantily clad and after she screeches away cut back to the male model cop who makes a catwoman-like purring noise.
You're welcome nissan!
marc

Until you've driven electric you won't understand; it's really rather peculiar. In the meantime, here's something to amuse you:

I've driven a Leaf. I understand and know how it drives. What I don't understand is the need to justify one's purchase and seek affirmation by making up fantasies about outaccelerating Mustangs and Camaros. Maybe a 1975 Mustang II ("Boredom zero!"), perhaps.

Train said:
Until you've driven electric you won't understand; it's really rather peculiar. In the meantime, here's something to amuse you:

I've driven a Leaf. I understand and know how it drives. What I don't understand is the need to justify one's purchase and seek affirmation by making up fantasies about outaccelerating Mustangs and Camaros. Maybe a 1975 Mustang II ("Boredom zero!"), perhaps.
I said I knew they would clearly beat me if they tried. But for whatever reason they seem uninterested in even a feeble attempt, not against me but against the clock, because pressing the accelerator just halfway inexplicably puts me way out in front of cars that should be accelerating much faster than me. Who knows maybe the rearview mirror is a looking glass into my fantasy world. Or maybe I should just use eco mode more.

Oh and I didn't purchase... I leased :)

hey train,
so if i understand this correctly, you hang out on forums of cars you don't own and look for opportunities to be a tool to people you don't know.
congrats on your life.
marc

bamamarc77 said:
hey train,
so if i understand this correctly, you hang out on forums of cars you don't own and look for opportunities to be a tool to people you don't know.
You don't have many posts on the forum, but I see you are a quick study. Welcome. :D

Train said:

I don't believe anyone is here justifying their purchase/lease, but rather sharing our experiences, especially the unexpected ones such as finding ourselves almost always being quicker up to speed when pulling away from traffic lights, and NOT because we were racing anyone or even in a particular hurry. It clearly has little to do with ability to accelerate, but more to do with the associated noise, wear, cost, +?,
70's muscle cars would be the most extreme example of this: definitely have far more ability, but also far worse on the trade-offs mentioned.

My wife and i still own 2 other vehicles, at least one of which could lay down quicker 0-60, but in practice we're both significantly quicker when driving the Leaf.
It is an interesting phenomenon, and one i doubt many of us were expecting.
I'm thinking it's one that EV manufacturers may want to exploit. Imagine how blown-away a prospective customer would be on a test drive if the Leaf were even quicker. No idea what that would take besides a more powerful (and this heavier) motor.
For sales, I suspect "EV= better real-world performance" would be a better perceived association than "EV= more trees & polar bears", especially when they are both true.

Stoaty said:
bamamarc77 said:
hey train,
You don't have many posts on the forum, but I see you are a quick study. Welcome. :D
Wow, I'd missed this. I'm evidently not as quick as bamamarc77!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?author_id=1399&sr=posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
282 posts and barely a single one that wasn't negative. How curious.

Not sure if we'd be telling Nissan how to advertise their product, but if i were them and concerned about sales, the FIRST place I'd start is speaking with existing owners.

We all come from different backgrounds, but for each of us (well, most of us) there was something which caused us to buy/lease a Leaf. What that "something" was has to be valuable information.
From what i can tell Nissan seems to think we wanted to see electronic trees growing on our dashboard. The media seem to think we wanted to save money. Both of those would be a long way down my personal list, and i don't think I'm too different to many other qualified potential 2012/3 customers,

We'd all have different priorities, but speaking with 1000 of us would give a pretty fair picture.

hey train,
congrats on your life.

Thanks.

But, I don't look for them. The opportunities typically present themselves.

As far as ownership, as long as the companies and governmental agencies I come in contact with let me drive them for free, I can live with that.

Since about 99% of the Leaf members here don't actually own their car (the bank does), maybe you should rethink the "cars you don't own" thingy. It would get awfully quiet around here...unless you know, people feel it's OK to make posts about cars they are paying on.

Luv and kisses,

Train

search.php?author_id=1399&sr=posts

Indeed, curious. Here, pass the aluminum foil...

Hey, an interloper! Or is that, outlier? "Stop with the negative waves!"

g87242.jpg

Wait, those are positive waves.

Sometimes the truth hurts but it's got to be said.

But I keep forgetting the hive code of conduct. If you agree with what I say, that's a thoughtful, cohesive argument. If you disagree with what I say, well, of course that hateful and negative, and, oh yes "FUD!"

We now join our current discussion, already in progress... "Leaf sales remain low. Nissan ads missing the target ?"

surfingslovak said:
ILETRIC said:
I have written a killer ad for the Leaf.
Sorry to hear that. Would you be able to give us a hint?

Sure: Leaf pulls into a gas station. The whole ad would have only one spoken word. I can't divulge that, it would give the whole plot away.

BTW I'm from Slovakia myself. Always wanted to mention it to you.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Train said:
I said I knew they would clearly beat me if they tried. But for whatever reason they seem uninterested in even a feeble attempt, not against me but against the clock, because pressing the accelerator just halfway inexplicably puts me way out in front of cars that should be accelerating much faster than me. Who knows maybe the rearview mirror is a looking glass into my fantasy world. Or maybe I should just use eco mode more

The 0-60 times are what they are; not particularly impressive and sure lots of cars beat the LEAF in that metric.

But I think (fantasize) that there is a certain regime (maybe 5-40mph) where the LEAF does out-accelerate the majority of cars on the road. This is the regime most useful in city traffic. I think it's the kind of performance profile a NY cabbie would love.

EricBayArea said:
I'm not going to deny that 100% torque off the line isn't fun - because it is. It feels really fast. But the reality is, the LEAF is not a fast car. Perhaps if you pitted it against a Yaris, Fit, Corolla, or Civic that would work. But against a Mustang or any other driver's car would be a non-starter. And anyone whose said that they raced and beat a Mustang, Camaro, BMW, Subaru turbo, etc., doesn't realize that that driver was not racing.[/quote

That's what I used to think when I beat Mustangs, Camaros, and other sport cars off the line to 40-45mph. But a few months ago, I actually raced and beat a new Nissan Z to 45mph, then she passed me going 65mph in a 35mph zone. At the light, she was revving her engine and rocking the car so I know she was really trying. She thought she won. :lol:

Train said:
Since about 99% of the Leaf members here don't actually own their car (the bank does)
You do know that when you borrow money from the bank to buy something, you own the thing, not the bank.

I can't tell if you were suggesting that Leaf ownership is some sort of financial struggle for folks here. I do know some for whom that couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe that's the 1% everyone derides.

Personally I enjoy the discourse and enjoy having you here Mr Train, as you make many valid points. It's also the best bargain around in psychoanalysis, certainly worth what I paid for it.

Train said:
Since about 99% of the Leaf members here don't actually own their car (the bank does), maybe you should rethink the "cars you don't own" thingy. It would get awfully quiet around here...unless you know, people feel it's OK to make posts about cars they are paying on.
Damn, guess I finally made the 1% :eek:

Train said:
search.php?author_id=1399&sr=posts

Indeed, curious. Here, pass the aluminum foil...

Hey, an interloper! Or is that, outlier? "Stop with the negative waves!"

Wait, those are positive waves.

Sometimes the truth hurts but it's got to be said.

But I keep forgetting the hive code of conduct. If you agree with what I say, that's a thoughtful, cohesive argument. If you disagree with what I say, well, of course that hateful and negative, and, oh yes "FUD!"

We now join our current discussion, already in progress... "Leaf sales remain low. Nissan ads missing the target ?"
Actually I was just being polite. What I really meant to say was "wow, what a loser"

Back