Leaf Places Second in "America's Most Fuel Efficient Vehicle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

I was quite surprised (and very pleased) that the article included both gas and electric vehicles. The iMiev placed first, the Leaf second:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/16/10551156-americas-most-fuel-efficient-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the kind of press we need!!!

Edit: I should add that although the Leaf was listed as having a fuel cost of $612, I calculate that with my very conservative driving--even buying Green Power from LA DWP--it will cost me about $450 for the electricity to go 15,000 miles.

fuel cost does seem a bit suspect even in the more expensive areas. most charging should be done at night at lower rates so guessing they are using a "lower than realistic" figure for miles/kw

i get 2 cents a mile in LADWP with almost all charging at base rates minus 2.5 cents a kWh, which is the EV discount.
In addition, the EV discount applies to all my base charging up to 500kWh a month.
I also trickle charge (about four bars a day) for free most days at work, which reduces my costs below 2 cents per mile.

The first Chevy Volt all-electric car went on sale just a little more than a year ago, in late 2010.

When did they come out with an all-electric Volt? Interesting, especially given that the real Volt isn't even in the list.

Overall good article though.

Don't assume that low power rates + flatland driving + mild climate applies to everyone.

Unlike many here, I'm getting about 4¢/mile, which is about the same as the number from the article. I expect that cost to drop somewhat in summer. I pay a bit over 13¢/kWh, sometimes preheat, and I measure power from the wall (I think some are just using the numbers from the car, which is not accurate/fair).

dgpcolorado said:
Don't assume that low power rates + flatland driving + mild climate applies to everyone.

Unlike many here, I'm getting about 4¢/mile, which is about the same as the number from the article. I expect that cost to drop somewhat in summer. I pay a bit over 13¢/kWh, sometimes preheat, and I measure power from the wall (I think some are just using the numbers from the car, which is not accurate/fair).

all valid points and i also measure power "from my wall" only and am lucky enough to live in an area that has installed a thousand free charging stations (at least free for now) so that helps me a lot

but seems like that same metric you discussed is not equally applied. do you get 50 mpg in a Prius in your same driving conditions?

either way, it is a positive article and i have reposted it on my FB

I calculated my MPGe as follows:

Leaf per EPA - 99 MPGe

Miles per kWh per EPA - 100 miles / 34 kWh = 2.94

Miles per kWh from my dash - 5.7

Adjustment for charging losses - .85

My calculated miles per kWh - 5.7 * .85 = 4.85

My calculated MPGe - 99 * 4.85 / 2.94 = 163

Conclusion: the way you drive has a lot more influence on your MPGe than the small differences between EV (Leaf at 99, iMiev at 112, Focus EV at 105).

That's an interesting calculation. But this doesn't account for the differing costs of electricity from what the EPA used. For example, I pay only 8.7 cents per KW. I bet the EPA used a higher figure for their electric rate.

SkiTundra said:
The first Chevy Volt all-electric car went on sale just a little more than a year ago, in late 2010.

When did they come out with an all-electric Volt? Interesting, especially given that the real Volt isn't even in the list. Overall good article though.

Ski meant to say hybrid electric. There is no all electric Volt.

ml194152 said:

That's an interesting calculation. But this doesn't account for the differing costs of electricity from what the EPA used.
True, but efficiency isn't related to cost, and the EPA didn't use the price of electricity to calculate MPGe.

Edit: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forget all those cars, the guys on Fox news said just buy a Chevy Cruze for $15k and get 42mpg

course the cruise eco is $25k+ and is a 6 speed manual that about 2% of people in the US know how to operate , even less want a manual trans

but hey evryone shhould just buy a cruze

The April issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine lists the LEAF as first choice in the "Urban Commuters" category for new cars. Given the financial focus of the magazine that is good PR.
Nissan Leaf
Sticker price: $36,050 (SV)
The first mass-market electric vehicle to hit the streets, the Leaf boasts serious amenities in addition to zero tailpipe emissions and a "fueling" cost of less than $700 a year. A heated steering wheel and heated seats and mirrors are standard features for 2012, as is a 7-inch information display with navigation (to help you find the nearest charging station), Bluetooth, and a USB connection for music. A full charge takes about eight hours on a 220-volt dock and will carry you 73 miles, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. The price tag is steep, but a $7,500 federal tax credit helps.
page 52

kmp647 said:
Forget all those cars, the guys on Fox news said just buy a Chevy Cruze for $15k and get 42mpg

course the cruise eco is $25k+ and is a 6 speed manual that about 2% of people in the US know how to operate , even less want a manual trans

but hey evryone shhould just buy a cruze

Do too many people focus (no pun) on these 40-something mpg figures? Elantra, mazda skyactive, cruze, etc... how much of the time do you see a full 40mpg in real world conditions?

Actually, according to CR, a number of the ones they tested did in fact return that or even better in real world conditions...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Do too many people focus (no pun) on these 40-something mpg figures? Elantra, mazda skyactive, cruze, etc... how much of the time do you see a full 40mpg in real world conditions?

smkettner said:
If you can get 42mpg in a Cruise then you can also get 100 mile range in the Leaf.The point is a lot of people will not get these numbers.
Not under the same conditions you can't, because the Cruze got at least 42mpg (even by the Leadfeet at C & D) cruising at freeway speeds.

GRA said:
smkettner said:
If you can get 42mpg in a Cruise then you can also get 100 mile range in the Leaf.The point is a lot of people will not get these numbers.
Not under the same conditions you can't, because the Cruze got at least 42mpg (even by the Leadfeet at C & D) cruising at freeway speeds.
Yeah, These hwy rated 40+ mpg cars will actually get 40 mpg if you drive 60-65 mph. Drive 70+ fuel economy will drop pretty quick, though.

To get 100 miles in the LEAF you have to drive 55 mph at the fastest in warm, clear weather and normally slower than that (50 mph) to make it with room to spare.

freeway driving is one metric to look at but in my case, its really a non issue because that is not my transportation need.

question; how do you average 55 mpg in a Prius?
answer; drive 60 mph in Spring with no climate control on...it is that easy

question; how do you get 50 mpg in a Prius in town?
answer; there is no direct answer to that.

same with any multi geared car. dont change gears, dont change speed, you will do fine. if that is "your real world" you will do very well in a Cruize

Who cares about 40mpg on a freeway. I want 40mpg.. or rather 100mpg on stop and go city traffic, which is most of the driving I do, and I believe a large section of US population does..

Back