LEAF makes a long journey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nekota

I was pleased to see this article in gas buddy about long trip in a LEAF and using charging stations with positive comments and a practical approach to travel with a LEAF. I hope there are many more stories like this one.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111227/NEWS11/312270031/Nissan-Leaf-takes-long-journey-Tennessee?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nekota said:
I was pleased to see this article in gas buddy about long trip in a LEAF and using charging stations with positive comments and a practical approach to travel with a LEAF. I hope there are many more stories like this one.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111227/NEWS11/312270031/Nissan-Leaf-takes-long-journey-Tennessee?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know.. I bet this article would be very negative through the eyes of a hardened ICE fan. I can hear it now, "What? had to stop 3 times? Had to wait 30 minutes?"

adric22 said:
Nekota said:

I don't know.. I bet this article would be very negative through the eyes of a hardened ICE fan. I can hear it now, "What? had to stop 3 times? Had to wait 30 minutes?"

You guessed right. The article comments are mostly negative. Then again nothing new to us.
Time will tell.

Why do people make this so hard? If we need to go less than 70 miles we take the LEAF because it is cheaper, more comfortable, and more fun to drive than the gas car. Longer than 70 miles, we take the gas car.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Why do people make this so hard? If we need to go less than 70 miles we take the LEAF because it is cheaper, more comfortable, and more fun to drive than the gas car. Longer than 70 miles, we take the gas car.

So, you just have to be rich enough to buy a car that costs almost double the going rate for an average new car, AND afford a second car.

TonyWilliams said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

So, you just have to be rich enough to buy a car that costs almost double the going rate for an average new car, AND afford a second car.

That about sums it up. For me the ICE is an older Camrea (2003) with 50K and gets 32mpg on the open road. 95% of all my driving is less than 50 miles per day. I don't even recharge my leave (80%) daily as there is no need. I hope in 3 years the range will increase to about 210 interstate miles and a qc network is in place.

TonyWilliams said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

No, you just have to be rich enough that when you buy your electric car you don't need the measly amount the dealer offers you for your old gas car.

LTLFTcomposite said:

did you read the article? this pretty much sums it up

Smith, executive director of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, sees his role as promoting the technology for the benefit of society and the environment and helping to find any weak links.

i am glad that "some" here only have the need for one car. i wish i was in that category

Note; i guess we could talk about Ecotality's reliability concerning QC;s. but that is another topic. WA State Broke ground on first DCQC by AeroEnvironment. have many Blinks and Chargepoints around here. One Chargepoint at Dept of Ecology was broken. i called it in and checked back 7 days later and it was fixed.

Blink has one unit down at Olympic Gateway Park. i called it in (they claim they already knew about it due to their monitoring system) 2+ weeks ago and it is still down but then again its one station down in a row of 8. the other 7 work fine and are EXTREMELY underused.

TonyWilliams said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I guess that's not me... I'll be getting rid of the Malibu when I get the LEAF; the LEAF will be my only car. Yeah, maybe I'll regret it, but lafter ooking at my last few years of driving, the Malibu would sit idle for months at a time if I kept it. It's better off in the hands of someone who will drive it regularly.

tps said:

I guess that's not me... I'll be getting rid of the Malibu when I get the LEAF; the LEAF will be my only car. Yeah, maybe I'll regret it, but lafter ooking at my last few years of driving, the Malibu would sit idle for months at a time if I kept it. It's better off in the hands of someone who will drive it regularly.[/quote]

i agree. i have 2 cars because i have a 2 commuter household. other than when 2 cars were required. we have only taken the Prius less than a half dozen times. that is averaging once every two months. (mind you, 3 of those times were in one month while helping relative move from Salem OR to Olympia)

tps that is what I did. Six months ago I got my Leaf and sold my 4Runner and I have no regrets at all. When I take trips I fly so getting by with just the Leaf is not a problem. With the low registration fee and no electric bill (photo voltaic system) it makes the Leaf perfect for me.

DaveinOlyWA said:
did you read the article? this pretty much sums it up
Smith, executive director of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, sees his role as promoting the technology for the benefit of society and the environment and helping to find any weak links.
[/quote]
Yeah I read it. I just don't think it takes a rocket scientist to find the weak link. It can be found exactly 35 miles from home.

If people want to go cross country stopping every 70 miles and sitting around for a few hours mode power to them (pun). Unfortunately these stunts highlight the limitation of the technology and provide more fodder for the naysayers.

Back