Leaf is not able to charge from a GFCI protected outlet.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpkmon

Greetings,

I was able to charge the Leaf from my washer outlet. Then I switched to another outlet in the garage then Leaf did not charge. After multiple calls to Nissan dealership we could not resolve anything specific, then I just tried the washer outlet again and it started to charge, then I tried the outlet in kitchen and it started to charge. Then I noticed the two outlets in the garage it was not charging from are GFCI protected outlet. Although the multimeter reading did show same voltage and current reading, any one have any idea why Leaf is not charging from GFCI protected outlet?
Thanks
mpkmon

I charge from a GFCI outlet all the time.

Are you using the L1 EVSE that came with the car?
Can you take a look at which lights come on on the EVSE?
Have you hit the charging timer override switch on the car?
Did you make sure not to hit the "test" button on the GFCI outlet when you plugged in the EVSE?

How are you measuring "current" at the outlet using a multimeter?

If the gfci outlet is not grounded, then the evse will not work. Be sure to check for ground and reversed hot and neutral wires. If either of these are the case, then it would be best to have a licensed electrician inspect the wireing and make repairs.

Congratulations on your new LEAF :D
But if two outlets aren't working you definitely should have this checked by a qualified electrician
Even if they were working they should be checked.
There have been FIRES :shock:
See this link http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784#p352567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about the one that caused $10,000 damage and fortunately didn't physically harm anyone.

There seems to be a variance in the threshold. On an OpenEVSE with 22K sense resistors my older GFCI with red-black buttons trips. My newer Cooper GFCI's with white buttons do not trip. I experimented and found 47K resistors did not trip the old GFCI and still allow the MID400s to work.

AS for the stock unit since everything is covered in epoxy the only thing you can do is swap GFCI outlets.

When I bought my 2013 Leaf I recharged it with an extension cord in my driveway. Sometimes it would charge just fine, and other times it would not. I would get the red failure button om my Charger connecter to regularly light up. I even took the car back to the dealer and they said that it was charging fine on their charger. From the ever so helpful forum advocates here, I learned that the receptacle had to be grounded. I grounded the receptacle which took 5 minutes and it has now been a year with naught a problem but one. I live in DC and we get a lot of ice in the winter. For some reason we got some ice way down in the charging port and my wife did not know what was the issue. Went I checked the Connector was not properly clinking into the port. I actually picked out the ice but I could not get it all. I finally got out my heat gun and in a minute the ice was gone. Was careful as I did not want to melt the plastics. She was more careful brushing off the snow before reconnecting the charging cord, and now we have beautiful spring days in DC and no more ice.
By the way I went back to the dealer and brought this issue up. They really had a poor attitude, really saying it was not their problem and to just go away. I don't see why car dealers have never understood the value of customer service. Good will. Actually most American businesses do not believe in customer service; to them it is just a chore that they have to do and would prefer just to take our money.

GlennD said:
There seems to be a variance in the threshold. On an OpenEVSE with 22K sense resistors my older GFCI with red-black buttons trips. My newer Cooper GFCI's with white buttons do not trip. I experimented and found 47K resistors did not trip the old GFCI and still allow the MID400s to work.

AS for the stock unit since everything is covered in epoxy the only thing you can do is swap GFCI outlets.
Besides everything else that's being mentioned, yeah on the last part, assuming the GFCI properly grounded and is being tripped. There is http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=87367#p87367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There also might be some variance in the amount of natural leakage from the car, from unit to unit.

I also charge from a GFCI daily... Waiting for my Juicebox Level 2 to arrive. And the wiring in my home is poor at best...

Back