Hotel / motel charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tps

When choosing a place to stay on a road trip with my LEAF, I try to find a hotel with EV charging. While a few hotels have installed L2 J1772 and Tesla destination charging, and I have been fortunate to find conveniently located hotels with L2 charging, it seems to me that many hotels probably already have 120V outlets which could be used for EV charging. If management made staff aware of such 120V outlets, then that hotel could be listed in plugshare. This might be a quick way to vastly expand the charging network. So far, I have not charged L1 on the road, although I did frequently charge L1 at one of my former office locations. But I think I could work L1 into my trip planning with positive results.

tps said:
When choosing a place to stay on a road trip with my LEAF, I try to find a hotel with EV charging. While a few hotels have installed L2 J1772 and Tesla destination charging, and I have been fortunate to find conveniently located hotels with L2 charging, it seems to me that many hotels probably already have 120V outlets which could be used for EV charging. If management made staff aware of such 120V outlets, then that hotel could be listed in plugshare. This might be a quick way to vastly expand the charging network. So far, I have not charged L1 on the road, although I did frequently charge L1 at one of my former office locations. But I think I could work L1 into my trip planning with positive results.

Many 120V outlets you see will not support L1 charging. 120V outlets are usually multiple outlets per circuit, and L1 charging at 12 A uses all or most of the available current. So at most one outlet on a circuit can be used. How could you make sure only one was used?

If they exist, these outlets are probably there for another purpose. Do you want the gardener to unplug your EV when he needs to plug in a hedge-trimmer?

If a hotel wants to provide L1 charging for customers, they would need dedicated circuits and outlets close to parking. At that point, it's not much more expensive to install L2.

oxothuk said:
Do you want the gardener to unplug your EV when he needs to plug in a hedge-trimmer?
Hotel/motel charging often occurs overnight. The gardener is unlikely to be trimming hedges late at night.

tps said:
oxothuk said:
Do you want the gardener to unplug your EV when he needs to plug in a hedge-trimmer?
Hotel/motel charging often occurs overnight. The gardener is unlikely to be trimming hedges late at night.
The spirit of @WetEV's post remains (120V outlets are usually multiple outlets per circuit, and L1 charging at 12 A uses all or most of the available current). For example, I charged at an apartment's 120v outlet...only to have another EV plug in next to me a blow the fuse.
If I was betting my day's commute on a full battery, I would only use dedicated motel/hotel EV charging (whether L1 or L2).

The other problem is, most hotels would not want cords running across a side walk. That can create tripping hazards they could be liable for, if they allow what you are suggesting.

They need dedicated outlets by parking spaces or proper EVSEs.

Back