LEAF Insurance prices too high?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$445/6 months (Geico), which is a higher than what I pay for my 2007 RAV4 which is loaded as well. I'm guessing the high purchase price and high repair cost are the culprit here.

LEAFfan said:
Randy said:
Had a nice surprise when getting a quote from Costco's provider Ameriprise lately. Two cars was $540 / 6 months from 21st Century, and Ameriprise quoted $287 for same coverage (full)...

What's the other car? We're paying $520/6 mos. for my 2013 LEAF and a 2011 RAV4 with Safeco.

My $287 quote from Ameriprise for 6 months was for my 2011 Nissan LEAF and my 2000 Honda Odyssey van, which is rarely used. I am the only driver, and have a very clean record.

Randy said:
LEAFfan said:
Randy said:
Had a nice surprise when getting a quote from Costco's provider Ameriprise lately. Two cars was $540 / 6 months from 21st Century, and Ameriprise quoted $287 for same coverage (full)...

What's the other car? We're paying $520/6 mos. for my 2013 LEAF and a 2011 RAV4 with Safeco.

My $287 quote from Ameriprise for 6 months was for my 2011 Nissan LEAF and my 2000 Honda Odyssey van, which is rarely used. I am the only driver, and have a very clean record.
Randy, is the @287 for both cars or for each car? If it's for both, that's an unbelievable deal!!

Just going to chime in that with auto insurance every situation is different and you really should shop at least 5 companies to find the best for your situation. Do keep in mind that not all insurance companies are equal in terms of how they treat claims or the degree to which they will restore a relatively new car to new condition, and ask about those policies up front. Some insurance companies are closer to what my friend calls "insurance in name only" ... meaning they give you a policy so you can be in compliance with state laws requiring insurance but you can expect challenges if/when you file a claim.

In my case coincident with the lease of our first LEAF I shopped for auto insurance because my insurer of nearly 30 years, Liberty Mutual, had suddenly jacked up rates through the roof over the past 2-3 years (there are numerous articles on the web regarding them doing this across the board). I preferred a reputable insurer with a local agent so checked with State Farm, Farmers, American Family, and two others I can't remember right now. Interestingly, 4 of the 5 gave really low prices on the LEAF relative to our ICE cars, even though it was much, much newer. Only State Farm didn't have an especially low LEAF rate, but their overall rate was the best and they had the best service in their office so I went with them.

cgaydos said:
Just going to chime in that with auto insurance every situation is different and you really should shop at least 5 companies to find the best for your situation...In my case coincident with the lease of our first LEAF I shopped for auto insurance because my insurer of nearly 30 years, Liberty Mutual, had suddenly jacked up rates through the roof over the past 2-3 years...

To prove your point about shopping around Liberty Mutual actually gave me the best rate here in SoCal, I'm currently paying $1,032/year for 100/300/100, 1k deductible for c/c, 25/50 uninsured motorist coverage

Glenn said:
Randy, is the @287 for both cars or for each car? If it's for both, that's an unbelievable deal!!

That was for both cars, same coverage. The price went from $520 down to $287 every 6 months...I have referred others to Ameriprise and most have also received much lower quotes as well...Some did not, and there doesn't seem to be a reason why...

So like the poster said above, your mileage may vary....

I'm so jealous of all the prices you guys are sharing. I'm currently shopping for car insurance, and so far, the best I've been quoted is Geico at $373/mo (yes, per month, not every 6 months) for the Leaf and a 2012 Altima. Not sure how it breaks down per car. Part of it is because I have my parents on the policy, and my father has had two accidents in the past 5 years, plus I had a comp claim on the car that I had before the Leaf. So, three claims in 5 years. I just turned 25 a few months ago, so I can only imagine what the quote would be if I was younger. The only other decent quote was Progressive at $415/mo. The rest of the companies were coming in at around $500 to $800 per month.

Another factor I've not seen mentioned in this thread is location. The OP is in SF, CA. I'm from that area originally and rates are high there, especially if you're in SF proper.

NYLEAF, same for you. I once moved from NYC to Hoboken, NJ and my rates went down over $100 per month (clean driving record, 15 year old car, 39 y.o.).

I purchased a 2013 Leaf about one year after purchasing a 2012 Odyssey. The purchase prices were almost identical. The cost to insure the Leaf was $200/yr more than the Odyssey for the same coverages. When I questioned my insurance agent, she said the higher rate was due to the scarcity of replacement costs for the Leaf.

I do plan on shopping around. It appears from this thread that some Leaf owners were able to get rates comparable to ICE rates.

NYLEAF said:
I'm so jealous of all the prices you guys are sharing. I'm currently shopping for car insurance, and so far, the best I've been quoted is Geico at $373/mo (yes, per month, not every 6 months) for the Leaf and a 2012 Altima. Not sure how it breaks down per car. Part of it is because I have my parents on the policy, and my father has had two accidents in the past 5 years, plus I had a comp claim on the car that I had before the Leaf. So, three claims in 5 years. I just turned 25 a few months ago, so I can only imagine what the quote would be if I was younger. The only other decent quote was Progressive at $415/mo. The rest of the companies were coming in at around $500 to $800 per month.

I feel your pain my friend. If i cant find equivalent insurance to my existing car i dont think ill get a LEAF just yet, which sucks but it is what it is

NYLEAF said:

That's nuts. One advantage of working with local agents was I was able to ask them to identify the factors that led to higher rates. You might try the same - they can figure it out by trying different parameters on the quote.

One thing I learned is that insurance companies basically share ALL info on you over the past N years - they had details of a homeowner claim I made in 2006, of a car claim in 2007, and of traffic tickets for my wife and me from 2007.

The other thing I learned is that you can adjust prices a surprising amount by adjusting coverage levels - again, something a local agent can play with to find the optimum for you.

But once you do that, get quotes from several with the exact same coverage parameters so that you are comparing apples to apples.

$323 per month with Geico for 3 cars

2013 Leaf, 2013 Prius C and 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT

All have full coverage. Highest protection they offer. I'm a home owner in NJ. People sue you out here. You need the highest protection.

I am a Costco member. I should call them and see if I save anything by insuring my house and cars all under one policy.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
My insurance is comparable to the Prius I had. If it's higher, it's not much. Very inexpensive.
Definitely more expensive than my Prius Plug-in, and I have a perfect driving record. But maybe it's a Geico thing.

I've also had excellent rates and service from Ameriprise through Costco. If you're a Costco member, give them a shot!

For me, adding the Leaf with collision and comp will cost $260 for 6 months (I have 5 other cars on the policy; 3 teenage drivers but all clean records!)

cheers,
Marty

My insurance company is charging me 50% more to cover my Leaf than my Civic, which is 25% higher than the rate on my Pathfinder and my Mustang GT. The savings between EV and gas cars is minimal at best. I think I'll try to sell my Leaf at this point, I'm gonna lose my a** on this deal.

OPECsux said:
My insurance company is charging me 50% more to cover my Leaf than my Civic, which is 25% higher than the rate on my Pathfinder and my Mustang GT. The savings between EV and gas cars is minimal at best. I think I'll try to sell my Leaf at this point, I'm gonna lose my a** on this deal.

Have you shopped other insurers? As I mentioned before, AAA seems to hate the Leaf, while esurance had no issue with it.

lion said:
$445/6 months (Geico), which is a higher than what I pay for my 2007 RAV4 which is loaded as well. I'm guessing the high purchase price and high repair cost are the culprit here.

I was with Allstate 25 years since 1987. I had a good rate but they kept raising it every year. I was paying $195 per month with my 12 Armada and 01 Expedition. One full coverage and one liability. When I bought the Leaf they said my insurance would go up to $230 a month replacing the Armada.

I got a quote from Geico. $135 per month both leaf and expedition cars fully covered with twice the coverage road side assistance and rental car at $50 a day. I asked my agent from Allstate who said don't let the door hit you...

Seriously now I am with Geico now. They really did save me more than $500 a year.

Also Allstate with the accident forgiveness and great driving discount, cash back for each year with great driving. None of that applied to me of course a customer of 25 years. It amazing how companies treat loyal customers.

Back