LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KC Leafers,
Unfortunately we lost a strong EV voice in Kansas City last Saturday. Marc Higley passed away on 4/12/14. He only posted here a few times but he was a familiar presence in the Mid America Electric Auto Assoc. of Kansas City. He was laid to rest in Atchison.

http://www.atchisonglobenow.com/obituaries/article_c74a182b-973f-5585-98d3-96a181a1f363.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you had a chance to meet Marc you would know his strong belief in the current and future potential of EV's. If the rest of the world had half his desire we would be in a much better place today with electric vehicles.

RIP Marc.

ksnogas2112 said:
KC Leafers,
Unfortunately we lost a strong EV voice in Kansas City last Saturday. Marc Higley passed away on 4/12/14. He only posted here a few times but he was a familiar presence in the Mid America Electric Auto Assoc. of Kansas City. He was laid to rest in Atchison.

http://www.atchisonglobenow.com/obituaries/article_c74a182b-973f-5585-98d3-96a181a1f363.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you had a chance to meet Marc you would know his strong belief in the current and future potential of EV's. If the rest of the world had half his desire we would be in a much better place today with electric vehicles.

RIP Marc.

Oh my gosh, Tom, thank you for letting us know. I am so very saddened by this news. On our one occasion to meet at the EV gathering, Mark made an indelible impression on me and I looked forward to future interactions with him in our group. Although I barely knew him, he was an engaging personality and it was my privilege to have known him, if only briefly. He will be missed.

Kathy

Earth Day - company volunteers helped city parks/rec spread mulch on the hiking trails. Did I mention it was working our way up out of the river valley along the only park trail that is inaccessible by their vehicles to stage the mulch?

We had loads of fun though. Two loads per person in 5 gallon buckets =)

Hey KC...is anyone else sniffing the loss of the first bar anytime soon? Stoaty's model shows me hitting 15% sometime after June. The model has me at 86% around the 2 year anniversary in June 2014 but then not loosing the second bar until right before the 4th anniversary in 2016.

I don't have a solid measurement of anything except mileage but last May/June I actually pulled a 104 mile single charge success run over the course of 3 days. I tried it recently and came up about 15 miles short. I haven't been able to get a warmer battery 100% load balance and hot weather will be here soon. I pulled 6 battery temp bars two weeks ago on a campout with the Leaf sitting in the dust and sun.

How's everyone else doing?

ksnogas2112 said:

I'm still a noob with my 2012 off-lease, but LEAF Spy is showing me SOH=89% @ 11,904 miles on the Odo. I drove less than 500 miles driven the week I got it, and then parked at a friend's house until we get there this summer. So if 85% is the magic number for a bar loss, I'm hoping for one more summer season at 12 bars.

LEAF Spy screen shot:

http://goo.gl/9CN8Ku

Fortunately, the house we selected is only 12 miles from work, so I'm hoping to get lots more miles before I have to worry about range too much. Hopefully long enough for LEAF 2.0 to come out. Now how to avoid cooking the battery on those 100 degree days...

-Karl

MobileEV said:
ksnogas2112 said:

I'm still a noob with my 2012 off-lease, but LEAF Spy is showing me SOH=89% @ 11,904 miles on the Odo. I drove less than 500 miles driven the week I got it, and then parked at a friend's house until we get there this summer. So if 85% is the magic number for a bar loss, I'm hoping for one more summer season at 12 bars.

LEAF Spy screen shot:

http://goo.gl/9CN8Ku

Fortunately, the house we selected is only 12 miles from work, so I'm hoping to get lots more miles before I have to worry about range too much. Hopefully long enough for LEAF 2.0 to come out. Now how to avoid cooking the battery on those 100 degree days...

-Karl

Perhaps at the end of the Summer we can all meet and convince Karl to come and we can Leaf Spy our vehicles!

I am at about 18k miles. I almost never charge beyond 80%. When I do, its a planned event where I often get into the vehicle right before or after reaching 100% SOC. Current rumor is that time spent at 100% is the issue. Also time spent at 80%.... There I am guilty....

I still have all 12 bars. I have not got to 6 temp bars yet this year -- my unheated garage and massive concrete floor heatsink has sucked the heat out of the bats on the few warms days. Of course, it also allowed me to leave home with at least 3 bars every morning this winter, since that same garage is attached and the other ICE vehicle also shares some BTUs each day. On one or two occasions, I was at 2 bars by the end of the day in the parking structure, but usually 3 or 4 when arriving at home....

I note a lot of variation with the bars, in terms of where they fall off during my 16 mile commute. Some days, starting always with 80% charge, I can make it to work with 3 bars dropping. Other days its 4 or 5. Some of that can be explained by ambient temps, wind etc. Sometimes, the behavior is less clear -- I suspect that the degree of discharge prior to the most recent charge, as well as when the charge to 80% occurred, seems to trick the computer into different models of SOC.....

What is also interesting is that on days where the inbound trip (to work) seems really good, with bars dropping very late, the homebound trip seems to even it out. At the end of the day, I arrive with 3-4 bars almost every day, even on cold days, as long as the route is the same. So I think the accuracy of the bars is quite suspect, but at the end, the computer is able to better judge as the bats get closer to the bottom. After 32 miles, it pretty much knows what is going down....

Where I am left is that its impossible for me to commute to work and back twice with one 80% charge (64 miles, good luck!), and child's play to make it with 80% once daily. If I have a errand after work, there is a charging station at UMKC that I use to top back to 80 or 100% and I can do what I want, except, trips to the south of KC are challenging, since I live far north....

Well, typed more that I usually do.... later...

cdherman said:
Perhaps at the end of the Summer we can all meet and convince Karl to come and we can Leaf Spy our vehicles!
I would be more than happy to do that. That would be a great excuse to meet you all. I figured everyone has one of the OBD/app combos.
cdherman said:
I am at about 18k miles. I almost never charge beyond 80%. When I do, its a planned event where I often get into the vehicle right before or after reaching 100% SOC. Current rumor is that time spent at 100% is the issue. Also time spent at 80%.... There I am guilty....
I didn't realized time spent at 80% is now considered bad. I've also seen that running the battery down low is not good either. So what is the optimal storage SOC?

I found this recent article about battery degradation interesting:

http://go.chargepoint.com/079WYC9900000Gu006Qfv00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to indicate mileage affects it more than charging. Hmmmm....

MobileEV said:
cdherman said:
I would be more than happy to do that. That would be a great excuse to meet you all. I figured everyone has one of the OBD/app combos.
cdherman said:
I didn't realized time spent at 80% is now considered bad. I've also seen that running the battery down low is not good either. So what is the optimal storage SOC?

Karl,
Optimal SOC is 40-60%. But really just drive it. You definitely want to avoid leaving it at 100% for lots of hours on end or in high heat. If 80% works for you 95% of the time then set your time for 80% and run with it. That's what I've been doing for 2 years now and there doesn't seem to be any indication yet that a lower SOC would have made the difference. The heat would if I could park in the shade all the time. Unfortunately the new parking garage is 2 years too late to cut the solar load.

Even with that though, I've had 7 temp bars appear when it was 110*F and still parking in the shade
(abandoned bank drive through).

eclecticflower said:
ksnogas2112 said:
KC Leafers,

RIP Marc.

Oh my gosh, Tom, thank you for letting us know. I am so very saddened by this news. On our one occasion to meet at the EV gathering, Mark made an indelible impression on me and I looked forward to future interactions with him in our group. Although I barely knew him, he was an engaging personality and it was my privilege to have known him, if only briefly. He will be missed.

Kathy

I'm really sorry to hear that. I only met him the one time at the LEAFathon last Fall. I remember him talking about starting his Pet Hotel business and the different electrics he has owned over the years.

I'm not from KC, but I'm going to be there in June (working at the convention center and staying withing walking distance). What's the best BBQ in that area? Any suggestions for bars (other than the saucer-- I already know about that one)?

Publius said:
I'm not from KC, but I'm going to be there in June (working at the convention center and staying withing walking distance). What's the best BBQ in that area? Any suggestions for bars (other than the saucer-- I already know about that one)?
Welcome to KC! The convention center (13th St) is just a few blocks west of the Power & Light entertainment district (near 14th), where you'll find all kinds of venues - bars, food, upscale and not so much, movie theaters, night life, plus the Sprint Center. Famous Dave's BBQ moved out of P&L district , but you're not too far from the Freighthouse District (drive south from P&L) for Fiorella's Jack's Stack BBQ on 22nd. Google BBQ restaurants Kansas City, MO and you'll see a map of what's nearby. Gates BBQ on Main isn't too far (by car).

eclecticflower said:
Publius said:
Welcome to KC! The convention center (13th St) is just a few blocks west of the Power & Light entertainment district (near 14th), where you'll find all kinds of venues - bars, food, upscale and not so much, movie theaters, night life, plus the Sprint Center. Famous Dave's BBQ moved out of P&L district , but you're not too far from the Freighthouse District (drive south from P&L) for Fiorella's Jack's Stack BBQ on 22nd. Google BBQ restaurants Kansas City, MO and you'll see a map of what's nearby. Gates BBQ on Main isn't too far (by car).

Thanks for the response. I'm in KC every June, so I've stumbled across the Power & Light district before, and I've had a good time. But I think this year will be the last year that we're doing KC, so I really want to make sure I don't miss a hidden gem that the locals would recommend. I've heard about/been to Jack's Stack and Famous Dave's, do you think Gates is worth a cab ride?

Publius said:
eclecticflower said:
Publius said:

Thanks for the response. I'm in KC every June, so I've stumbled across the Power & Light district before, and I've had a good time. But I think this year will be the last year that we're doing KC, so I really want to make sure I don't miss a hidden gem that the locals would recommend. I've heard about/been to Jack's Stack and Famous Dave's, do you think Gates is worth a cab ride?
That's a personal call. It's very good and they have several sauces. Theirs is more about the spices and Fiorella's seems more about the molasses in their sauce, so a little different and very good service. Not sure how much a cab will bite you for, but maybe you can call it a per diem business expense? :)

That's a personal call. It's very good and they have several sauces. Theirs is more about the spices and Fiorella's seems more about the molasses in their sauce, so a little different and very good service. Not sure how much a cab will bite you for, but maybe you can call it a per diem business expense? :)[/quote]

Gates is an experience. I don't feel that it's the best bbq but it certainly is a different experience. Jack's Stack is quite good and you can get to the one near the Power and Light.

I personally like Zarda BBQ out in Lenexa and Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe. Arthur Bryant's is one of the most famous joints. I find the sauce a little gritty but tasty.

So, I was running around in Liberty last night, and I came across a sad sight at the Walgreens off 152 and 291 Highways. I'm not sure what happened. It kind of looks like the J1772 connector was driven over, but the lady inside thought the unit had been hit by lightning, although I really doubt it.

IMG_0321.jpg

Well getting time to park the Leaf again. Summer camp all week starting Sunday. Tried to pull a 100 mile run again but the capacity just isn't there even with a warmer pack. Almost 25k miles and the ecrapia tires are about the bleed down to the cords in places. Not looking forward to the $700 replacement Goodyears.

Grand Canyon, Disney, Mojave Desert, Joshua Tree were great stops on the last trip. This one is just summer camp in Bonner Springs.

Back