Leaf Body Panels Gen 1 vs Gen 2 (Japan/NZ)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpotgeneral

Hi Folks,

My trusty 2011 Japanese import Leaf G company car got rear ended by a Toyota a few weeks back and written off by the insurance company. I've replaced it with a 2014 Leaf G but also managed to retain the wreck of my old car. The damage is not that bad and I've had the chassis straightened and checked by a repair certifier and all it needs now is a few panels. Unfortunately there are not many Leafs here in New Zealand that have been written off so parts are quite rare. I've found a Gen 2 leaf in another part of the country that's had a frontal and I can buy the rear bumper and boot hatch which I need. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable between Gen 1 and 2?

Thanks in advance.

They should be the same. Gen1 doors were made out of aluminum (maybe hatch too?) but they should still be interchangeable.
Otherwise I would expect new crash tests for Gen2, for example.

LeftieBiker said:
I was going to write something similar last night, but since I don't know for a fact that there are no interchange issues, I didn't.

Yeah, seems no-one does, but I found a dude with a frontalled Gen 1 so I've bought it all off him, Spendy but I'll still have a cheap leaf (about 50% of retail) so I'm cool with that.

Tinpotgeneral said:
LeftieBiker said:
I was going to write something similar last night, but since I don't know for a fact that there are no interchange issues, I didn't.

Yeah, seems no-one does, but I found a dude with a frontalled Gen 1 so I've bought it all off him, Spendy but I'll still have a cheap leaf (about 50% of retail) so I'm cool with that.

Nice, extra battery and drive stuff too......

Firetruck41 said:
There is no gen 2, just upgrades to gen 1. I would expect everything to fit as far as the body, though the aluminum vs steel could come into play.

When i added slimline weather shields to my Leaf's doors, the dealer's parts department looked up the Nissan Japan catalogue (had to come from there), which showed the same part number for all years of Leaf production. Not the same as a panel I know, but it suggests the doors haven't changed, so maybe not the body either. In any event, a friendly spare parts person might look up a panel code for you to see if it varies by year or is standard for all years...

Back