LEAF Battery size - 12 kw?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Nissan Leaf start's off with a 24KW battery. In this forum there are many on going discussions about battery capacity. If you use the search feature at the top of the screen and search for battery capacity you will get at least a couple days worth of reading.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&hilit=owners+manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This link is an ongoing thread that I follow that discusses battery capacity.
Hairy

KW is a rate of energy transfer, whereas kWh is an amount of energy.

A new LEAF battery pack will hold somewhat more than 21 kWh,
but the extra is unusable, at the "bottom of the tank".
Also, the battery could hold more, but that stresses "the tank"
too much to try to fill it with too much "fuel".

The LEAF's battery monitoring system keeps us from charging
the battery too full, or from "draining" it too near empty.

As time passes, the battery "ages", and the "tank" gradually
holds less "fuel". So, in moderate climate conditions, you might
experience the "tank" holding only 20 kWh after a year or so.

NREL did a teardown analysis of a factory-new Leaf in one of their labs earlier this year. They measured 21.381 kWh usable energy flowing out of the battery. The nominal capacity was 24.15 kWh. It's worth noting that the control electronics in the Leaf won't allow the battery to be fully charged, for the sake of longevity. Per NREL, only 22.03 kWh of energy was delivered to the battery, although the nominal capacity was about 11% higher. The difference between energy delivered to the battery, and usable energy flowing out of the battery can be attributed to losses (mainly heat).

nrelreportleaf

GetOffYourGas said:
Awesome chart - thanks for sharing this find!
You are very welcome, glad you found it useful. Drees deserves credit for finding this report and posting it on the forum. There is an older thread with more details, if this was of interest.

Back