July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/May/gmsales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, Chevrolet Volt sales of 1,462 units were strong nationally but limited by availability of vehicles in California, where GM is launching a model that qualifies for high-occupancy vehicle lane access.

Nothing on the LEAF, yet, but it does look as if Nissan had another outstanding month:

Forecasters say April auto sales continued strong
Nissan is expected to have the largest unit sales gain of any company over last year of 20% or more and market share of over 7 percent, compared to 6.2 percent a year ago. Analysts at Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com point out that Nissan has been especially aggressive with incentives including rebates of up to $3,000 on some vehicles and strong support for lease deals.

Is Nissan Leaf In Trouble?
BY JOHN VOELCKER
No, I expected that kind of number, will take time for wider adoption. Does not matter what the sale number, I will drive Leaf in the same manner like before, but will likely put more miles in May

Nissan needs to do several things:

do a mild refresh on the exterior of the Leaf. Add new colors and nicer wheels and bumpers etc

all the new interior work they are planning for the 2013, leather , darker cloth better heater etc

sell a decontented model at a lower price in addition to the higher end leather model

Make some sort of bundle offer to install a home charger for free or give it free up to $2,000 total install
or a free unit to carry out you install and a credit towards your install

retrain all sales people - relaunch car nationally , show LOW TCO, show fun factor ! new ad company

have stock on the lot make it easy to buy

finally : use the Leaf powertrain in a small SUV like a rogue but more SUV,ish, think evoque or whatever Rav 4 ish
get the van built and into dealerships BUT UN-GOOFY IT

379 REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ACTION ON NISSANS PART

this is a big deal clearly for Nissan and Carlos

you can bet we will see some changes in the marketing of the Leaf soon

they already have new $ incentives in the UK for leaf 5k pounds I think

I got an email for Nissan UK with the offer

could same type thing will happen here possibly?

Makes me wonder exactly where all those Leaves I saw on the docks at Oppama a couple of weeks ago were heading.

I mean if the production rate was 1:7 and the lot was chock full o' Leaf....

I rather expected this. Cool, I've finally achieved cult-failure status, my car now matches my life.

Until the QC network gets built up and/or it gets cheaper or they do incentives it'll still be a niche car.

It's really just a halo car at this point which is fine. 300 cars for a halo car is fine. It needs to be get better and it will.. Nissan is not going to drop the ball after a bad month of sales.

But really it's no skin off of my back... I'm now driving a paid off electric car that is 100% MINE. :) Thank you Nissan.

Clippy said:
Makes me wonder exactly where all those Leaves I saw on the docks at Oppama a couple of weeks ago were heading.

I mean if the production rate was 1:7 and the lot was chock full o' Leaf....

I rather expected this. Cool, I've finally achieved cult-failure status, my car now matches my life.

I'm sorry, I usually don't post to myself as I don't have that much to say. But I just texted this info to my ActiveE pilot wife. Her reply?

"Electronot"

cdub said:
It's really just a halo car at this point which is fine. 300 cars for a halo car is fine. It needs to be get better and it will.. Nissan is not going to drop the ball after a bad month of sales.
That would be fine if Nissan built the LEAF as a halo car. But as far as I can tell Nissan is "all in" on the LEAF. They are building two large LEAF factories as well as two large battery factories to support their expected sales going forward.

BTW, why no numbers from Japan for March (and now April)?

scottf200 said:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/May/gmsales

In addition, Chevrolet Volt sales of 1,462 units were strong nationally but limited by availability of vehicles in California, where GM is launching a model that qualifies for high-occupancy vehicle lane access.
Last month [April], just 370 Nissan Leaf battery-electric cars were sold, down from 579 in March<snip>
I think a more honest headline would be something like... Volt and LEAF monthly sales decline 36%. If you run the numbers Volt sales dropped slightly more.

Definitely a horrible number for the Leaf. I was hoping it would at least stay above 500. What's odd is that as the number of units sold goes down Nissan ups its sales target. Either they know something we don't (no doubt they do) or they're smoking some fabulous weed.

We may also be witnessing separation between EREV vehicles and BEV vehicles just as we did with the two seat hybrid (Insight) and the four seat hybrid (Prius). Hard to say. We'll know more after the next few months. The Volt number is actually consistent with the March number and was predictable. The problem for the Volt was the lack of HOV eligible vehicles in CA. That should mostly resolve since the line had been retooled to produce HOV vehicles and is back up. For the Volt May could be another very strong 2000+ month. I really don't have any idea about the Leaf because it's not clear what is responsible for the low numbers.

If I had to guess I'd say demand is very price sensitive. Last year the Leaf was a few thousand less than this year and the CARB rebate was $5000. This year it's turned around. The Volt is HOV eligible and you can lease a Volt for less than you can lease a Leaf. Plus the Leaf rebate is now only $2500 and the Volt rebate is $1500. If this is the case then we'll have to wait until Smyrna is up and the yen/dollar exchange rate is no longer a factor.

jamesanne said:
scottf200 said:
I think a more honest headline would be something like... Volt and LEAF monthly sales decline 36%. If you run the numbers Volt sales dropped slightly more.
I didn't headline anything. I just cut-n-pasted the sentences from the two "articles" that had the numbers. I want all *EV type of cars to succeed.

SanDust said:
If I had to guess I'd say demand is very price sensitive.
As someone who shopped for an EV last month, I will say that even though the Volt is about $8000 more similarly equipped, it is much easier to stroll into a Chevy dealer and drive out with a Volt than it is to go into a Nissan dealer and purchase a LEAF. First, the Chevy dealer had several Volts to choose from. Next, every salesman in the Chevy dealer is pushing them. Third, GM is offering 0% financing for 5 (6?) years on the Volt while Nissan offers nothing similar. If I hadn't disliked some things about the Volt, I could have easily walked out with one of them.

And won't GM be selling ~500 Volts/month to GE soon?

It's not the sales staff, it's not supply, it's not the charge station infrastructure...

It's a $38,000 car that goes 70 miles on a charge. It's always been that and will continue to be that.

To the average consumer, a hybrid or 40 mpg petrol vehicle makes far more sense. They're more convenient, less expensive, and don't require endless hours of charging.

scottf200 said:
jamesanne said:
scottf200 said:
I didn't headline anything. I just cut-n-pasted the sentences from the two "articles" that had the numbers. I want all *EV type of cars to succeed.
??? I was only referencing the numbers you posted. I guess I could have been clearer.
I feel the author of the story is biased. Look at the two quotes. The one for the Volt defends the low numbers and uses the word "strong". The LEAF quote takes a swipe by using the word "just". The link to the article contains “is-nissan-leaf-in-trouble”. He also calls the Volt range extended, but the Prius is a plug-in hybrid. In the article he calls the Prius the winner, thus making the article about some race.
I am pointing out the fact that the percentage of sales declined the same. If you think about this it makes sense. Even though the Volt is a plug-in hybrid, GM markets the vehicle as an electric. Wouldn't it stand to reason that sales changes would then be similar the LEAF?

Train said:
It's not the sales staff, it's not supply, it's not the charge station infrastructure...

It's a $38,000 car that goes 70 miles on a charge. It's always been that and will continue to be that.

To the average consumer, a hybrid or 40 mpg petrol vehicle makes far more sense. They're more convenient, less expensive, and don't require endless hours of charging.

Shhhh!

Stop making sense. You'll be banned. Or called names, or both.

jamesanne said:
??? I was only referencing the numbers you posted. I guess I could have been clearer.
I feel the author of the story is biased. Look at the two quotes. The one for the Volt defends the low numbers and uses the word "strong". The LEAF quote takes a swipe by using the word "just". The link to the article contains “is-nissan-leaf-in-trouble”. He also calls the Volt range extended, but the Prius is a plug-in hybrid. In the article he calls the Prius the winner, thus making the article about some race.
I am pointing out the fact that the percentage of sales declined the same. If you think about this it makes sense. Even though the Volt is a plug-in hybrid, GM markets the vehicle as an electric. Wouldn't it stand to reason that sales changes would then be similar the LEAF?
I see my error. The Volt sales numbers and quote are from the GM press release. I would expect them to be biased.
Okay disregard the the first part. I will stick with the second part... "I am pointing out the fact that the percentage of sales declined the same. If you think about this it makes sense. Even though the Volt is a plug-in hybrid, GM markets the vehicle as an electric. Wouldn't it stand to reason that sales changes would then be similar the LEAF?"

jamesanne said:
Wouldn't it stand to reason that sales changes would then be similar the LEAF?
Sure, but I don't think that captures the bigger picture of what is going on. In 2011, the LEAF OUTSOLD the Volt by 26% (9674 versus 7671). Here we are today and the Volt sales have surpassed those of the LEAF and, more significantly, Volt sales now seem to be hovering at 4X LEAF sales. In other words, it seems that Volt sales are pulling away from LEAF sales.

Clippy said:
Train said:

Shhhh!

Stop making sense. You'll be banned. Or called names, or both.

Be realistic is very important, and that is the reality EV is facing. It is a price, very limited infrastructure and range as effect, therefore expecting miracle make not much sense. In OKC area 3 people RAQ and waiting for cars, but what to expect, no infrastructure (1 public evse and even at this time some Nissan dealers still no evse installed), no state credit, EV federal credit processing problem, and people are driving more here due to sparse population. Cost and installation of 240 v charging cord is another issue, I understand economy of scale (not many evse sold), but can't understand AV installation cost. This morning I already put 47 miles and have no place to add power. For me here, it is mostly to show that this is very useful car and I always emphasize how many miles I put on it and at what cost. People here are not rich and very often have to drive gas guzzler because simply can't afford to switch to something more economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back