July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tps said:
TomT said:
Except that, if you are paying a fixed fee to use the QC, you are likely going to want to do a full charge to maximize your ROI...

Train said:
I can see QC working this way. I can see myself at doing a 5 minute QC just to pick up a little extra juice to make it home.
Who said anything about fixed fee. Do most people pay a fixed fee at the gas pump?
That's pretty much the model being used by AV on the Oregon electric highway and probably what will end up being the case with eVgo in CA. There are plenty of posts on these topics in the forums.

tps said:
GRA said:
But most people wouldn't consider that an efficient use of their time they make a trip to SEE their relatives, not to tour the countryside with the relatives being a minor part.
Which is why I usually take the airplane, instead. I'm not advocating doing the trip in the LEAF more than once. Yes, it would take longer and cost more, but for just one time it could be about the voyage, not just about the destination. Just once, it might be interesting to tour the countryside.
Everything in life is not about efficiency.
Of course it isn't. And if you're interested in reading a book about a similar trip, I recently read and recommend "Life with an Electric Car" by Noel Perrin.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-With-Electric-Noel-Perrin/dp/0871564971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was environmental studies professor in New Hampshire (Dartmouth), and back in the early '90s he flew to California to pick up a small EV-converted Ford wagon in Santa Rosa from (Gary Starr's company, the name of which escapes me now), planning to drive it back across the country. He abandoned that idea in Auburn just a couple of days out (he'd been planning to drive I-80 across Nevada, which would be pretty tough in most EVs today), bought himself a used truck and towed the Ford to Illinois IIRR, although he sometimes unhitched them in the evening and drove the Ford to see the local sights.

In Illinois or wherever his wife flew in, and they unhitched the car and spent several days together, the wife driving the truck and he the car, just driving along old side roads (U.S. highways and the like) and charging overnight (L1 only), checking out beautiful old courthouses, banks, a couple of auto museums which included early EVs and the like. His wife had to fly back to work after a few days, so he re-hitched the two and towed almost all the rest of the way until she could meet him again and he could drive the Ford the last leg. He then details his further adventures using it for commuting and the like (he'd also had grid-intertied PV installed on his barn, the first in his area apparently).

EV sales in US

January 2012
i-MiEV: 36
Leaf: 676
Total: 712
Total (EDTA): 824 (difference:112)

February 2012
i-MiEV: 44
Leaf: 478
Total: 522
Total (EDTA): 639 (difference: 117)

March 2012
i-MiEV: 56
Leaf: 579
Total: 635
Total (EDTA): 1,872 (difference: 1237)

EDTA source: http://www.electricdrive.org/index.php?ht=d/sp/i/20952/pid/20952

Question: Who sold 1237 additional EVs in US in March 2012 (or it is error)?

http://www.nissanleafdrivers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan LEAF In-Depth | Webchat w/Mark Perry
Webchat with Mark Perry, Nissan North America’s Director of Product Planning. Mark will be answering your questions about the 100% electric Nissan LEAF [11Apr2012] at 1pm CDT.

1:06 Comment From KeiJidosha
Smyrna LEAF. When will cars roll off the line? Will they have a 6.6kW charger?
1:06 Mark Perry:
We expect Start of [LEAF] production [at the Smyrna, TN plant] in December 2012. And yes a 6.6Kw charger will be an option.

Kane said:
Hmmmm .... only other EV with largish number would be Active-E. But nowhere near 1.2k.

Kane said:
EV sales in US

January 2012
i-MiEV: 36
Leaf: 676
Total: 712
Total (EDTA): 824 (difference:112)

February 2012
i-MiEV: 44
Leaf: 478
Total: 522
Total (EDTA): 639 (difference: 117)

March 2012
i-MiEV: 56
Leaf: 579
Total: 635
Total (EDTA): 1,872 (difference: 1237)

EDTA source: http://www.electricdrive.org/index.php?ht=d/sp/i/20952/pid/20952

On the EDTA site, what column does the Toyota Plug-in Prius fit in (PHEV)? Maybe they put those numbers in the BEV column?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_Hybrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly Toyota sold 891 of them in March...

Can we much number for market share?
Nissan in Norway has sold 1000 Nissan LEAF's in just six months, taking almost 2% of the total car market in February this year demonstrating the impact of comprehensive incentives and developed charging infrastructure.
The government support and charging infrastructure have helped the Nissan LEAF become the second best selling Nissan in Norway and the ninth best selling passenger car overall in February. Norway has the highest level of support in Europe for electric vehicle purchases with zero VAT, no new car tax, free parking, exemption from some tolls and the use of bus lanes in Oslo. The existing on-street charging infrastructure in Oslo currently has approximately 3500 public charging points in Oslo, many of them free to use.

http://newsroom.nissan-europe.com/EU/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=91696

EdmondLeaf said:
Can we much number for market share?
Nissan in Norway has sold 1000 Nissan LEAF's in just six months, taking almost 2% of the total car market in February this year demonstrating the impact of comprehensive incentives and developed charging infrastructure.
2% market share is huge! Consider that in the US hybrids are typically 2-3% market share and have been basically flat for the last 5 years.

I do think that the Prius C and V will help increase the market - for some reason Toyota is the only company that can build a decent selling hybrid - and even they have a lot of hybrid models that only sell in low volume.

I didn't consider this just a Volt article as it includes ideas on selling unique cars.

how-one-chevrolet-dealer-is-selling-25-volts-a-month
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss/2012/04/29/how-one-chevrolet-dealer-is-selling-25-volts-a-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The telling part of the article is stock on hand which is the reason the Leaf is selling so slowly right now. It eliminates spur of the moment purchases and that will be remedied when Smyrma comes on line

Things that speak to the environmentally concerned include two big windmills behind the dealership, highly visible from all around, that supply about 15 percent of Serra’s electricity. And there’s a Volt charging station too.

OK green electricity and a charging station and a highly trained staff. Now they sell 25 volts a month. What a concept. Are you listening Nissan :evil:

There is one Toyota dealer in SLC with solar on the roof. Guess who sells the most Prius cars?

DaveinOlyWA said:
The telling part of the article is stock on hand which is the reason the Leaf is selling so slowly right now. It eliminates spur of the moment purchases and that will be remedied when Smyrma comes on line
Smyrna coming on line isn't going to magically change this since the lack of vehicles on lots is more a symptom than a cause. Dealers don't think they can sell them so they don't order them. If they did order them, and didn't do anything else, they'd probably just sit on the lot, confirming in many minds that the Leaf is a loser. Smyrna coming on line should make the cars cheaper but that won't by itself transform the dealers into Leaf selling machines.

If you expect to see much better numbers you're going to need at least some dealers who commit to marketing and to training the salesforce in how to sell it. I've been saying for quite a while that I don't think we're seeing this commitment at all.

kmp647 said:
OK who can guess the Leaf US sales for April.
my bet is 679
I put the volt at 1650
I hope both numbers are that high. I think it's impossible for the Volt to get anywhere near the March number. Way too many factors, like the plant shutdown and the lack of HOV eligible vehicles, working against it. I'm hoping that we don't see Leaf sales under 500.

SanDust said:
kmp647 said:
OK who can guess the Leaf US sales for April.
my bet is 679
I put the volt at 1650
I hope both numbers are that high. I think it's impossible for the Volt to get anywhere near the March number. Way too many factors, like the plant shutdown and the lack of HOV eligible vehicles, working against it. I'm hoping that we don't see Leaf sales under 500.
Well, FWIW, LEAF inventory is the highest I've seen it with cars.com reporting 1115 LEAFs in the USA as of today. Volt inventory is the lowest I've seen with cars.com reporting 3643 Volts in the USA as of today.

My guess is that GM will sell around 2,000 Volts for April - not sure what to think about LEAF sales - higher inventory there might mean that more cars are finally getting to dealer lots leading to higher sales - or sales are staying the same. Paul Scott at least says that now that his dealer is able to keep a handful in stock he's selling more than ever now.

Edit: Last time I checked on April 4, LEAF / Volt inventory was 723 / 4193 cars respectively.

drees said:
Paul Scott at least says that now that his dealer is able to keep a handful in stock he's selling more than ever now.
If Nissan dealers are selling more than ever then we will see the highest sales figures ever. That would be great but I'll be shocked if we anything close to that. But we should know tomorrow.

I don't know how many they are selling but the Nissan dealership down the street from me has four available on the lot as of last week.

SanDust said:
drees said:
Paul Scott at least says that now that his dealer is able to keep a handful in stock he's selling more than ever now.
If Nissan dealers are selling more than ever then we will see the highest sales figures ever. That would be great but I'll be shocked if we anything close to that. But we should know tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back