iPhone won't stop playing music

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwishnie

2013 Leaf SV
Standard audio package (not Bose)
iPhone 5, iOS 7

When I plug my iPhone 5 (iOS7) into the USB port and set the audio input to USB, the phone starts playing music automatically (from whatever music app was last active—e.g. Music or Spotify)

If I stop the music via the phone (hit the stop button in Spotify for example), it stops briefly and then starts again.

The only way to keep the music off is to switch the audio input on the Leaf to something other than USB.

BUT I want to hear audio alerts from the phone such as turn-by-turn directions from the Google Maps application.

It seems like the car is continually telling the phone to start playing music from where it left off. Even if I never told it to play music or manually stopped it.

Feels like a bug in the nice auto-play feature (which works on Bluetooth properly) where the phone plays from where it stopped off when you get back in the car, but the bug is only for the USB interface.

My workaround is to use USB for power only and Bluetooth with audio.

Problem is the awkward set up every time I get into the car:
- Make sure my phone is connected via bluetooth (I share the car with my wife so we have to manually switch phone connections)
- Plug into USB for power
- Switch audio input to Bluetooth from USB quickly (before it starts playing music)

Is there a fix for this???

I bought a separate phone for just the leaf. It stays in there all the time connected to Blue-Tooth. It has an 8GB data plan for spooling music through rdio.com

JeremyW said:
jwishnie said:
Is there a fix for this???
Get a separate lighter socket to USB and plug your phone into that for power, use bluetooth for everything audio.

That's a better workaround. Done.

My question holds though—is this a problem other people have?
Any suggestions on where to report the bug? It seems pretty sloppy...

I notice the same behavior on my 2013 Leaf SV and iPhone 4S running iOS 6.x. Whenever the stereo is playing music from the iPod in USB mode, I can't get it to pause. Pause the music, and it quickly restarts.

This is only an issue when playing music via the USB/iPod mode. You can have a USB cable plugged in to charge the iPhone, but have the radio set to Bluetooth mode and not encounter this issue. You'll also lose the ability to browse your playlists, but I've pretty much settled on Bluetooth to connect the iPhone to the Leaf. If you have the USB cable selected, but put the radio in Bluetooth mode, you may need to manually select the "MY-CAR" or whatever you named your Leaf as the audio output location. This is done with the AirPlay icon on the iPhone's lock screen or Music player app.

swaltner said:
I notice the same behavior on my 2013 Leaf SV and iPhone 4S running iOS 6.x. Whenever the stereo is playing music from the iPod in USB mode, I can't get it to pause. Pause the music, and it quickly restarts.

Thanks. Similar workaround to what JeremyW suggested, which will work fine. And thanks for the reminder on making sure the iPhone is using the correct audio-out channel.

Is there a way to file a bug report with Nissan?

This seems like something they should fix. I'm generally ok figuring out workarounds for bugs in open source software or $1.99 phone apps, but somehow I feel I shouldn't have to use workarounds in my $30k car!

Yes this problem continues since day one, on my 2013 LEAF.

Using a Samsung Infuse smartphone, almost every single time the LEAF is shut off, music begins playing from the phone's tiny speaker.

I've grown accustomed to pausing it. There is no easy way to make it stop. The Android system kills the task later on, after being paused for a long time. However if the phone volume is all the way down, the music player runs constantly and drains the phone battery in a short time if the player is not paused.

This is the price we pay for early adoption. The cause of this bug seems to be the LEAF discovers the music player and commands it to play, without being "asked" to by the driver.

Call Leaf support
I spoke with Eric
877-664-2738 ext 457256
Case# 12859861

Add yourself to the complaint. The more the merrier. I just simply asked for a software update to add a pause button to the iPod interface on the Leaf.

Enjoy

todatsu said:
Yes this problem continues since day one, on my 2013 LEAF.

Using a Samsung Infuse smartphone, almost every single time the LEAF is shut off, music begins playing from the phone's tiny speaker.

I've grown accustomed to pausing it. There is no easy way to make it stop. The Android system kills the task later on, after being paused for a long time. However if the phone volume is all the way down, the music player runs constantly and drains the phone battery in a short time if the player is not paused.

This is the price we pay for early adoption. The cause of this bug seems to be the LEAF discovers the music player and commands it to play, without being "asked" to by the driver.
Part of the problem is how Android (and various apps) handle Bluetooth too. Unfortunately Bluetooth wasn't designed for audio and has always been "hacked in" to make work, but with some oddities. Fortunately I've found that Doggcatcher properly monitors for Bluetooth commands from the Leaf about 95% of the time and will automatically pause playback when the car is turned off. Unfortunately other apps, like Digitally Imported, don't monitor commands from the car and perform the same way that you described in your comment.

I have a Galaxy S3 and I connect via Bluetooth and charge the phone via the cigarette lighter. I have no issues except that no song info is displayed on the Head Unit screen.

I did experiment with the USB port and realized buy the 2nd day that I owned the LEAF that it does not work correctly and I don't use it at all.

Back