iphone & smartphone apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep checking iTunes, even though i have no use for it yet ;)

I will take a wild guess that when Nissan makes their initial deliveries, the iPhone app will at least be available.

I highly doubt they would be giving their first customers adhoc installs.

LakeLeaf said:
hopefully they will realize that the iphone isn't the only thing out there. blackberry, blackberry, blackberry !

iPhone is the only platform that matters :) I would bet on the Android being next, and your Blackberry, well, that will probably never happen... Windows Smartphone would probably even be before Blackberry.

P.S. Carwings will have a web portal as well, so any browser can run it, which really means any internet connected smartphone with a web browser. The App just makes it "friendlier", easier to use.

In the US iPhone just caught up to Blackberrys installed base in October. Android still behind. I hope all 3 will be supported with apps. But if not it should be possible to use the web browser on any smartphone.

I would like to test the web-interface on IE7, IE8, Opera, on PCs, Netbooks, etc. first.

If the web "portal" does not yet run well, no sense spending time on an iPhone app, or any other device-specific app, in my mind.

Good point. Given the "history" of Nissan's "shaky" web pages, testing and proving the stability of the web version before moving on seems a rather important step.

Android is offered by multiple companies. Blackberries and I phones are not.

As far as installed base right. I phone is a distant 3rd. And android passed blackberry 2 ne quarter of this year and has new sales continuing at better than 8-1 blackberry and 5-1 I phone

But as long as I can do whatever I need with a web browser I really don't care what apps are available for what phone.

I have several android apps that are less than pitiful when compared to the functionality of the products website

For those of us old folks with cell phones/plans that just make calls (do not do laundry or Internet), what are some economical yet proven-capable phone-and-plan services (perhaps Android driven)?

I have a Verizon "Friends" plan now.
What kind of plan will one need for suitable web access, messages, etc. as the LEAF is likely to need?

Yes, buying phones (and service) is (for me) harder than buying shoes!

Do "most" phones have GPS?

In any case, suggestions, help, and education welcome, thanks.

Virgin Mobile: $25+tax/month/phone. Unlimited TXT, 300 minutes talk, unlimited internet access. Using a $89 Kyocera phone with keyboard. Screen is small, but semi-decent for occasional internet access (Opera mini-browser). Can use a gmail account filter to forward certain emails received (like Nissan's) to the phone :)

This should work with the LEAF's functions. Can't wait to test the real thing to confirm! :)

garygid said:
For those of us old folks with cell phones/plans that just make calls (do not do laundry or Internet), what are some economical yet proven-capable phone-and-plan services (perhaps Android driven)?

What kind of plan will one need for suitable web access, messages, etc. as the LEAF is likely to need?

verizon only cheap if you have multiple lines. family share plans have up to 5 lines to share group of minutes. the more lines you have, the bigger the savings.

right now they have "talk free " promos which gives $9.99 credit off cost of 2nd line if smart phone is added. you can take that which requires unlimited data plan $29.99 (we did this on two of our lines) or go with 150 MB plan which is $15. but you have to pay the $9.99 monthly. so the first deal is better but $9.99 discount is only good for 24 months.

we have 5 lines 4 with unlimited data, one with $15 data pln. unlimited texts. waaay more minutes than we can use and it runs us $50 per line after taxes and stuff.

your cost may vary, i have employee discount thru my provider (verizon contracts with thousands of companies to provide discounted service for its employees. contact your HR dept for details) takes 20% off cost of my data plan and cost of priimary line)

but considering the features we get, not bad pricing.

garygid said:

If you want to stay on Verizon, your best bet is to walk into a Verizon store and say "Show me your Android phones."

For someone who's not tied into a corporate server, the Blackberries make little sense, since they cost an extra BIS fee every month.

Windows Phone 7 is out, and better at some things, but it's far behind the others in popularity and not slated for Carwings app support.

ALL phones have GPS, since it's now mandated by FCC for 911 use. Not all phones provide GPS to you, the user, in the form of Navigation apps, mapping, etc. Verizon still pushes their crappy VZNav solution, but all BB, WP7, and Android phones give you alternative apps that are better.

If you get a phone that has the "Google Experience", then it comes with the excellent Google maps application.

Try them! There's no one best phone for everyone, so go find one that has the size, screen, and price you want.

ya, about Windows mobile phones, if you plan to link them up with your outdated Windows computer, DONT DO IT.

have friend with Vista who got one of those KIN 2's. (well at least for a few more days) and they will not talk with each other at all. she cant even transfer contacts or music. i told her she was making a mistake by not getting an Android (she is tech challenged and a bit daunted by choices the Android provides which is why she went with the KIN, because it doesnt have any!!)

she is going to her Son's house this weekend to try to transfer her music with XP. if that does not work, the phone is going back...obtw, the KIN follows the I phone philosophy of nearly no user controllable options like removable memory, etc. but at least you can change the battery yourself...small consolation....very small

garygid said:

Plan on this as a good topic for the San Diego meetup... you'll have at least one wireless veteran there :)

I could have sworn I heard about WAP supported (beyond IOS/iPhone). If that's the case, there's at least a reasonable chance that other more 'feature-phone' class devices may have some level of functionality available (likely with scrolling/lack of screen-size fit, etc.)... but who knows.

Back