iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
epirali said:
Turbo3 said:
Now that I have tested this version for a few trips today I don't like that the notification keeps coming up every minute when I am not in the Leaf. That needs to be changed.

May I suggest a somewhat settable interval for notification updates? I find them occurring too often for my taste.
Right now they happen every time a Gid change is detected or every 60 seconds. When a Gid change occurs the 60 second timer is reset.

I could make "on Gid change" an option and as well as every 1, 2 or 4 minutes or not by time another option.

Would that cover it? If not what other choices should there be?

Turbo3 said:
epirali said:
Turbo3 said:
Now that I have tested this version for a few trips today I don't like that the notification keeps coming up every minute when I am not in the Leaf. That needs to be changed.

May I suggest a somewhat settable interval for notification updates? I find them occurring too often for my taste.
Right now they happen every time a Gid change is detected or every 60 seconds. When a Gid change occurs the 60 second timer is reset.

I could make "on Gid change" an option and as well as every 1, 2 or 4 minutes or not by time another option.

Would that cover it? If not what other choices should there be?

I think you suggestion is near perfect, 4 settings, good intervals.

This came up in a new thread, and not sure if it's just an iOS thing, but the Ahr reading differs on different screens, for example, these, read just after a full charge:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 131
DNAinaGoodWay said:
This came up in a new thread, and not sure if it's just an iOS thing, but the Ahr reading differs on different screens, for example, these, read just after a full charge:
The Ahr rating shown at the top of the battery cell screen (screen 1) is the one from the Leaf and is the 100% charged rating for the battery pack. You can use this number to see how good the battery pack is.

The one on screen 3 was requested by a user of LeafDD who insisted he needed a similar value to what LeafDD displayed. It is a calculated 'guess' at the currently available Ahrs. Since you can't charge the battery to 100% this number will always be less than the 100% rated value on screen 1 and will decrease as the energy in the battery is used.

I personally see no value in this calculated number. I was thinking of dropping this number when people started to ask me why the two did not match after a full charge. It is confusing since they look like they should be the same. But to take it out I would need to change the display formatting code and it is not worth my time right now.

Thanks for clarifying that folks! I had guessed that was probably the deal, so apparently my guess was correct.

Just finished creating the Change History entry for the next test version 1.0.13 which is in the final stages of release to testers.

Version 1.0.13 (Test Release)

- Option on Settings/Units panel to allow air pressure to be displayed in Bar units.

- Option on Settings/Battery panel to set the maximum Gid value (range 281-300, default 281).

- Option on new Settings/Options panel to "Skip Reading Headlight Status". If you always drive with your headlights on you can use this option to keep the display from automatically switching to night mode when you turn the headlights on.

- New Dropbox option to only sync with Dropbox using a WiFi connection. This way your Phone's data plan is not used. Since the OBDII adapter uses WiFi this means syncing will only occur when not in the Leaf. Normally this will happen when your iOS device logs into your home network.

- Notification now has three options:

* Notify Interval (Disabled, every 1, 2 or 3 minutes)
* Notify On Gid Change
* Enable Sound

Note: If you disable all three but enable notification you will still get a notification with sound at the end of a trip when the trip data is successfully saved.

- Option on the Settings/Tire Pressure panel to rearrange the position of the tire pressure readings on Screen 4 to match their actual position on the Leaf.

* Swapping Front/Rear Tire display positions
* Swapping Front Left/Right Tire display positions
* Swapping Rear Left/Right Tire display positions

- Option on Settings/Tire Pressure panel to perform a Virtual Tire Rotation using one of three rotation choices or resetting tire positions to their default locations.

- The order of the panels on the Settings screen has been changed to better group the functions.

- If background operation has been enabled, by selecting to keep GPS always active, background operation will only continue as long as LeafSpy has a connection with the Leaf. This is done to reduce battery drain after you leave your Leaf. To again enable background operation open LeafSpy while connected to the WiFi OBDII network.

- During LeafSpy startup the name of the internal file currently being loaded is displayed in the lower right status box. If an error is detected while reading one of these files the file name having the problem can now be reported.

- A copy of all startup files is now saved in the iTunes accessible directory. These files along with a previously user saved copy of the Settings can be used to initialize an iOS device to the same condition (state/data/settings) as this one by copying these four files over to the new LeafSpy directory created right after install but before you start LeafSpy for the first time. The files are:

* Data.txt
* SSID.txt
* State.txt
* Pro_Setup.txt (user must go to Settings and select Backup to create this file)

- On screen 4 changed the Regen counter to always displays a positive value instead of a negative value.

- Allow Tire Pressure to be read while the Leaf is ON (ACC mode) even if in Park. This allows the current tire pressure to be displayed while adjusting the pressure as sudden pressure changes wakes up the TPMS unit in that wheel.

- When using the alternate method to read tire pressures fixed a bug that caused the front tire pressure values to be swapped.

- Updated the Tire Registration process to make it easier to use.

* Tire pressure readings are keep blank until fresh pressure readings are received from the TPMS units in each wheel. This occurs on a wheel by wheel basis.
* TPMS IDs are continuously read while on the Tire Registration screen.
* Tire Registration can be started anytime the Leaf is on even in Park.
* Completion of Tire Registration is signaled by the tire pressure alarm sound allowing for hands free operation.
* Once successfully registered the start button is disabled. Return to Service Menu to enable again.

Version 1.0.13 has been uploaded to iTunes for Beta testing and is waiting for Apple to review it. This normally takes about 24 hours.

V 1.0.13 has just been approved by Apple. Testers can now install and start testing.

I just started to lease a Leaf a few days ago. When testing it, I had noticed that the displays where very good at showing the same thing in many places and very often, uninteresting things. So I had in mind I should buy an OBD and find an app that tells me a bit more about the Leaf; that’s how I went to Leaf Spy.

After reading many threads about OBD2 and especially this one, I was completely lost.
Very few offers out there do specify 1.5 or 2.1 so how do I find an OBD2 that works? And by the way what are these 1.5 and 2.1? and ELM? and all these protocols.....Besides, on the AppSore, the description of LeafSpy says very little about these topics. Not very encouraging.....

Here is my experience:

So I went fishing on the net, and I actually found a lot to answer my questions, quite easily but I thought I could share it on this thread and may be you would use it to upgrade the LeafSpy description on the AppStore.
Here you can read about the different software versions that exist for the ELM 327:
http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/diagnostic-interface-elm-327.php#introduction_elm_interface" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you can see, there is no 1.5, which is confirmed indirectly by ELM itself at:
http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
where you can see all the protocols supported by the ELM327 and related; since most sellers of OBD2 readers do not quote the ELM327 compatibility, this helps to understand whether or not the OBD2 reader is ELM compatible or not!
You will note though, that the firs l ink mentions a v2.0 whereas ELM jumps from v1.4b to v2.1. But you can read there as well that V2.1 is backwards compatible and can read 1.4b, but is most of all, faster.

After reading this I decided I could start looking for my OBD2 reader in the jungle
I had noticed that Vgate was making a very compact wifi reader, that would likely not be in the way. From the descriptions it seemed to be ELM compatible but was also putting forward the advantages that ELM itself were putting forward for the relevant IC. This seemed to be a good fit and it was confirmed when I found this page:
http://www.buyobd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So Vgate seemed to be a potentially reliable product, but where to find a reliable supplier, in order not to wait 3 weeks to get my gadget?

Further scanning of the internet revealed that the latest version, iCar3, although very interesting, was not starting automatically as it is supposed to be, which is annoying when there is no button to activate it. I decided to buy an iCar2 instead, and I would have to live with the need to start it up for each drive and cope with the flashing lights...after a few runs, I don’t see these lights while driving and pressing the button is not an issue, because it is reacting immediately.
Finally, I found the iCar2 at a local electronics store chain in Sweden for 40€, so I know where to turn back if I have issues later on.

By the way, the version of LeafSPy I could get from the AppStore is the 1.0.10, is that normal?

I noticed a few hickups and hangups but I haven’t gone through all the details of the app yet.
In a future release, could you make the tyre pressure metric (screen 4), and add it to the metric switch in the settings? Not very important, just annoying.

Thanks for a very good work. I wish Nissan takes notice of this for the next Leaf generation.

The iOS version of LeafSpy Pro only supports WiFi OBDII adapters.

Version numbers don't mean much as manufactures can put any number they want.

I have not found any WiFi OBDII adapters that don't work because of the version number. The ELM commands LeafSpy needs are in the basic command set so unless a manufacturer has screwed up the implementation it should work.

That being said there are cost reduced designs of the Bluetooth adapter from Asia that drop the PIC processor and try (and fail) to do everything with the Bluetooth processor. They are the ones who have dropped a few of the basic ELM commands LeafSpy needs and falsely labeled their creation a version 2.1.

I would rate the Vgate iCar 2 WiFi adapter as unacceptable but not because of version number (It does work with LeafSpy Pro). The problem is when they go to sleep you need to unplug them and plug again to wake them up. When they go to sleep their is no power reduction. That's how the one I bought works and several others have reported the same problem. So unless someone reports they have fixed it with a newer version I would not get it.

If you want a small adapter this one works and has a power switch that reduces power to less than 1 ma.

http://www.amazon.com/2013-Super-iP...61&sr=1-4&keywords=Super+mini+WiFi+for+iPhone

The latest test version of iOS LeafSpy Pro (1.0.13) supports Bar for pressure. Just send me your email address and I can add you to the test group. You need a device with iOS 8+ to be a tester (Apple's requirement, not mine).

Is there any way to program into the app a way to change the speedo in the car/computer?

My speedo is off by 1mph @ 30mph, 2mph @ 50mph, 3mph @ 70mph and probably more at higher speeds.

You can correct this in the diagnostics screen of the car... Mine required the full 2.5% range to make it accurate... I don't know if there is any way to access this on a S version...

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Is there any way to program into the app a way to change the speedo in the car/computer?

TomT said:
You can correct this in the diagnostics screen of the car... Mine required the full 2.5% range to make it accurate... I don't know if there is any way to access this on a S version...

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Interesting. I will need to take an CAN trace and see if any CAN messages are sent which would seem likely when making this adjustment.

One more thing for my todo list when I finish updating the Help documentation.

Anyone with a CAN tracer want to step in and help with this one? ... anyone? ... anyone?

Oh, very cool. I don't think it's an option on the S model, unfortunately.

It would be great if it could be added into the LeafSpy app.
TomT said:

LeafMuranoDriver said:

Version 1.0.14 with a few bug fixes is now available to testers (or anyone else for that matter if you send me a request).

Please install as soon as possible as I have another fix I need to get out for testing. When I submit that version for testing Apple will pull 1.0.14 from being installed and it can take up to a day or more for them to review the next release. Once you have a test version installed you can keep it for 30 days from the original release date (today).

Turbo3 said:
Version 1.0.14 with a few bug fixes is now available to testers (or anyone else for that matter if you send me a request).

Please install as soon as possible as I have another fix I need to get out for testing. When I submit that version for testing Apple will pull 1.0.14 from being installed and it can take up to a day or more for them to review the next release. Once you have a test version installed you can keep it for 30 days from the original release date (today).

Hi Turbo3
I am noting all the changes in the latest Android update, and see from the above that many are in the pipeline for the IOS version too. The Apple Store is still pushing out Version 1.0.10; are you hopeful for a updated version soon? And will it be 1.0.11?
Thanks for any feedback....

hieronymous said:
Turbo3 said:

Hi Turbo3
I am noting all the changes in the latest Android update, and see from the above that many are in the pipeline for the IOS version too. The Apple Store is still pushing out Version 1.0.10; are you hopeful for a updated version soon? And will it be 1.0.11?
Thanks for any feedback....
Send me your email address and you can have access to the beta versions. I will be releasing 1.0.15 to iTunes for review. The final store version will be 1.1.0 when it is released.

Beta version 1.0.15 has just been upload to iTunes. Should be available for install sometime tomorrow.

Has two fixes to address the case where the OBDII adapter gets into a bad state and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in again. When the app detects this condition it will automatically try to reset the OBDII adapter.

Turbo3 said:
Beta version 1.0.15 has just been upload to iTunes. Should be available for install sometime tomorrow.

Has two fixes to address the case where the OBDII adapter gets into a bad state and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in again. When the app detects this condition it will automatically try to reset the OBDII adapter.

I just noticed this defect has started happening. It is another good reason to get the extension cable so you rarely if ever touch the actual connection on the vehicle.

Turbo3,
Is there a particular adapter that works best with Leaf Spy and iPhones? Which adapter do you primarily use?

Back