iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Version 1.0.11 is now available to TestFlight testers.

Enabling drop box is causing Leaf Spy to crash to the home screen. When I open Leaf Spy, I get a quick dropbox screen and then a crash back to the home screen. Unsure how to proceed.

jhm614 said:
Turbo3 said:

Enabling drop box is causing Leaf Spy to crash to the home screen. When I open Leaf Spy, I get a quick dropbox screen and then a crash back to the home screen. Unsure how to proceed.

Reinstalling dropbox on the iphone corrected the problem. I had one more crash but then the Apps folder was created in db and everything seems to be running now. Can't wait to see the log file copy over automatically!

After LeafSpy switches over to the Dropbox screen where Dropbox is asking if it is ok to give access to LeafSpy I was never able to return back to LeafSpy. Always had to restart LeafSpy. This only happens the first time you enable Dropbox access.

Purchased App today... One day I'll order a wifi adaptor to actually try this purchase on the iPhone. I wanted to thank you Turbo3 and support your efforts on behalf of the Leaf community and this seems a nice way to do that. I know you can never make enough money on this to actually pay for the true costs of development.

I think I'll continue to use the Android version so I hope you will bring the new exciting features (and the few fixes) over to the Android side as well. Hopefully Dropbox too? That would be really nice as I can have the Android device auto connect to my home WiFi when I pull in the driveway and then it would be able to upload the data daily automatically. That would be very sweet!

Note how that trick will not work on the iPhone version which needs Wifi to talk to the OBDII port. So I could not use an old iPhone (which I do have now) without a data plan and leave it in the car like I can the Android device and have that work with Dropbox without having to switch Wifi networks, upload data and switch networks back. Why again did Apple not support bluetooth for this????

Again, Thanks Turbo3

jhm614 said:
Turbo3 said:

I have same issue, crash on dropbox blank screen. I don't have dropbox installed. Had to delete and reinstall to be able to open again (reset settings).

I'm see what appear to be random crashes on v1.0.11. What's the best way to provide debug info from phone? I'm trying to turn things off to see if I can get it to stop happening.

I have not tested what happens if you enable Dropbox but Dropbox is not installed. I will test that in a little while and see what I need to do to handle that case.

Unfortunately TestFlight does not feedback any crash data to me. So you will need to describe what was happening at the time of the crash.

I would recommend that testers use the Backup settings feature and then use iTunes to copy the settings file to a PC for save keeping. If you re-install all the files created by LeafSpy are erased but you can copy back the settings file using iTunes and then do a Restore settings to get them back.

Ok, I see the problem with the code. I don't have code to catch the error if Dropbox is not installed but you have enabled Dropbox in settings.

For now if you don't have Dropbox installed don't enable Dropbox in settings. If you do you will need to install the released version 1.0.10 then make a change to the settings to force the settings to be updated without the Dropbox enable flag. Then install the test version 1.0.11 again. At least I think that should clear the problem. Or you can install Dropbox so the call to Dropbox from LeafSpy does not return a null value which is what is causing the crash.

I don't have another iOS device without Dropbox at the moment so I actually used the Android version of LeafSpy I am working on which now also has Dropbox support to debug this problem. The code I write for Dropbox support is almost exactly the same for iOS and Android.

I was wrong in the above post on what the Dropbox problem was. It is just some bad coding that does not take into account how long the first call to setup the Dropbox link will take.

The fix will be in 1.0.12 which should be uploaded tomorrow (Sunday) and probably be released by Apple sometime late Monday or early Tuesday.

It will also have a new feature that posts local notifications when the number of Gids changes. This way you can run the Maps app and still see remaining energy, Gids, Gids used and trip time. Other items could be added if people think them useful. You set the notifications option for LeafSpy to just show the last notification. So you just need to swipe down to see the LeafSpy data. For a clean notification display you should clear any other notifications from other apps.

There is also a new badge number on the LeafSpy icon that gives an indication of the app state while the app is running in the background. This way you can tell if the app is still connected to the WiFi adapter or not and if it is still communicating with the Leaf. If there is no badge number then LeafSpy is not running in the background.

Version 1.0.12 has just been upload to Apple and is Waiting for Review. It has the following changes.

* Dropbox bug fixes for the connection problem.
* Local Notification
* Icon Badge number giving background status
* Log file format change for location to make it a standard format (DDD M.MMMMM instead of DDD:M.M)

I am using my iPad to monitor charging. I have just noticed (for the 2nd time come to think of it) that the Odo info on the 2nd line of the Battery Cells screen (#1) is not updating. The Odo reading is from 03/24/15 and I've driven about 45 miles and charged 3 times since then.

I have Leaf Spy Pro on my android phone as a comparison.

Ok, I have just finished a timed charge and am continuing with a manual charge. Have restarted the iPad and the L1/L2 value has correctly updated by one, but the Odo value remains that from 24/03/15.

Love the apps, hope you keep up the great work [even if you don't make a fortune :( ]

hieronymous said:
I am using my iPad to monitor charging. I have just noticed (for the 2nd time come to think of it) that the Odo info on the 2nd line of the Battery Cells screen (#1) is not updating. The Odo reading is from 03/24/15 and I've driven about 45 miles and charged 3 times since then.

Ok, I have just finished a timed charge and am continuing with a manual charge. Have restarted the iPad and the L1/L2 value has correctly updated by one, but the Odo value remains that from 24/03/15.

Love the apps, hope you keep up the great work [even if you don't make a fortune :( ]
The odometer cannot be read during a charge unless you turn the Leaf on. To say it another way the odometer can only be read when the Leaf is on.

Turbo3 said:
hieronymous said:

The odometer cannot be read during a charge unless you turn the Leaf on. To say it another way the odometer can only be read when the Leaf is on.

Ah, I see - not intuitively obvious, at least not to me! I guess if I hadn't been so enthusiastic about acquiring your software and had the choice of platforms I wouldn't have seen it :D

Turbo3 said:
Test version 1.0.12 is now available on TestFlight.

If you tried enabling Dropbox and had trouble before please try again. It should now work for everyone.

Tested and verified that enabling DropBox without having DropBox no longer crashes, just simply offers log on, and when cancelled behaved as expected. One question: what is the badge number mean on the app? Sorry if I missed the answer from before.

epirali said:
Turbo3 said:
Test version 1.0.12 is now available on TestFlight.

If you tried enabling Dropbox and had trouble before please try again. It should now work for everyone.

Tested and verified that enabling DropBox without having DropBox no longer crashes, just simply offers log on, and when cancelled behaved as expected. One question: what is the badge number mean on the app? Sorry if I missed the answer from before.
Go to the app's Help/Change History for a table on Badge numbers.

Turbo3 said:
Now that I have tested this version for a few trips today I don't like that the notification keeps coming up every minute when I am not in the Leaf. That needs to be changed.

May I suggest a somewhat settable interval for notification updates? I find them occurring too often for my taste.

Back