iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
//RESOLVED

sedeuce said:
using LSP v. 1.1.1 en

I had great success with LSP and the LYL WiFi ODB (X000SNLBRV) for about 1 week. Then I left the LYL ODB plugged into the car one hot afternoon and now all I can get is "WiFi NC" and the yellow status box in LSP. Things I have tried:
- unplug and replug the LYL WiFi ODB a million times (will try a million more times)
- delete the WiFiODB wireless network from my iPhone and re-join it a few thousand times
- uninstall and reinstall LSP

On the LYL WiFI ODB all I can see is the single red colored flashing light, none of the other amber lights are twinkling.

Anybody else have similar experience?
thx,

- I tested the LYL WiFi ODB in 2 other vehicles and it works fine.
- I tested using a free iPhone ODB app called "EODB-Facile" and it works fine.
- I opened LSP and edited the settings, changed to debug, turned on DropBox sync, initiated the startup ELM logger, changed the model year and then changed it back, restarted LSP a few times... Seems like changing some settings and restarting 'bumped' LSP into action.

and then magically it started working again.
thx,
:)

I recently upgraded my iPhone from a 5 running iOS 8.0.2 to a 6s Plus running iOS 9.0.2. The problem I have is that the OBDII stays connected even when the app is closed and and the phone is off. My data doesn't work while the WiFi is on because it stays connected to the OBDII reader. I have to manually turn off my WiFi so I can get mail or use Pandora while in my car. It didn't have to do this before. I would just close the app and use Pandora or anything else that ran on data.

I also have 9.0.2 on my iPhone 6.

I have configured my ODBWiFi with a static IP as instructed in the LSP help/about -> Wifi help screen. Eg:
iOS Device Setup
Code:
This setup requires the OBDII-WiFi adapter to be plugged into your Leaf and powered on. The Leaf does not need to be on but if the adapter has a power switch you may need to press it to power on the adapter. Check that the adapter's power LED is lit. Some adapters require around 30 seconds after being plugged in before they become visible to your iOS device.

1. On your Apple device go to Settings
2. Then select Wi-Fi
3. Under Choose a Network... look for the WiFi OBDII adapter's name. Typical names are CLKDevies, WiFi ELM327, WiFi~OBDII, and WiFiOBD.
4. Touch the Blue "i" to configure the network connection
5. Choose Static
6. Set IP address to 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is any number other than 10. Example 192.168.0.123
7. Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
8. Leave the Router and DNS fields blank. The router field must be blank to allow a cellular data connection. Otherwise your iPhone will try to connect to the Internet through the OBDII-WiFi adapter which of course will not work.

Maybe that will help you?
:)

DiamondDan73 said:
I recently upgraded my iPhone from a 5 running iOS 8.0.2 to a 6s Plus running iOS 9.0.2. The problem I have is that the OBDII stays connected even when the app is closed and and the phone is off. My data doesn't work while the WiFi is on because it stays connected to the OBDII reader. I have to manually turn off my WiFi so I can get mail or use Pandora while in my car. It didn't have to do this before. I would just close the app and use Pandora or anything else that ran on data.
This happens because you did not follow the WiFi setup instructions for LeafSpy. If you just link to the OBDII WiFi with the default settings iOS will assume it is an internet connection and keep trying to use it. You need to go back and follow the instructions in the above post.

That make perfect sense! When I got my new phone all my settings were automatically transferred to my phone so I didn't need to set up the connection manually. I will setup the reader again from scratch and that should fix my problem. Thanks for your help and for making such a great program!!!

I purchased LeafSpyPro in Sept and it paired and ran fine on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Just went to Verizon and got an upgrade to a Galaxy S6. Verizon transferred my apps to the new phone. I can now not get the LSPro on the new phone to pair with my ODBII. It finds it, but when I enter 1234 pin, it says failed to pair. Do these phone to phone transfers sometimes not work, and do I need to download again to the new phone?

manich said:
I purchased LeafSpyPro in Sept and it paired and ran fine on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Just went to Verizon and got an upgrade to a Galaxy S6. Verizon transferred my apps to the new phone. I can now not get the LSPro on the new phone to pair with my ODBII. It finds it, but when I enter 1234 pin, it says failed to pair. Do these phone to phone transfers sometimes not work, and do I need to download again to the new phone?
This is the iOS support thread for those with an iPhone/iPad/ITouch.

For Android you need to go to the Android Settings/Wireless & Network and pair the OBDII device to your Phone then you can run LeafSpy and select the now paired device. If you can't get your Phone to pair with the OBDII device try unplugging and plug it again.

Any additional questions should be placed in the original Leaf Spy/Leaf Spy Pro support thread. Not this one.

Hey, has anyone successfully used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01761X1QA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Veepeak wifi obdii). It looks a lot like the lead your life one but I've been having trouble testing it, and the $20 entry fee for iOS LSPro is a little steep to just try out and see if it works.

Plugged it in, hit the Leaf Power button (NO FOOT ON BRAKE - the dongle instructions said to put the key in position 2, which I think is the accessories on mode for most ICE cars), its red power light goes on. It shows up as a wifi device on my android (eventually want to use it on iOS since most of my devices are iOS), pair with it, and all is good up to that point.

Then I open LSLite (Android - again I want the iOS LSPro version eventually, but not sure how else to test functionality w/o paying full price) and it cycles through a bunch of things, the blue light on the adapter flashes a bunch, once in a while the yellow one blips a bit, but in the end the connection fails.

In iOS I tested also with DashCommand (recommended by Veepeak), and OBD car doctor and OBD auto doctor and none of them seemed to establish an actual connection (beyond awareness of a live wifi connection).

Anything I need to do different, like do I need to kick it into full on ready to roll (foot on brake, power on, essentially on & parked mode)? Is there an iOS version of LSLite to try with? Couldn't find one.

Don

donyjunk said:
Hey, has anyone successfully used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01761X1QA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Veepeak wifi obdii). It looks a lot like the lead your life one but I've been having trouble testing it, and the $20 entry fee for iOS LSPro is a little steep to just try out and see if it works.

Plugged it in, hit the Leaf Power button (NO FOOT ON BRAKE - the dongle instructions said to put the key in position 2, which I think is the accessories on mode for most ICE cars), its red power light goes on. It shows up as a wifi device on my android (eventually want to use it on iOS since most of my devices are iOS), pair with it, and all is good up to that point.

Then I open LSLite (Android - again I want the iOS LSPro version eventually, but not sure how else to test functionality w/o paying full price) and it cycles through a bunch of things, the blue light on the adapter flashes a bunch, once in a while the yellow one blips a bit, but in the end the connection fails.

In iOS I tested also with DashCommand (recommended by Veepeak), and OBD car doctor and OBD auto doctor and none of them seemed to establish an actual connection (beyond awareness of a live wifi connection).

Anything I need to do different, like do I need to kick it into full on ready to roll (foot on brake, power on, essentially on & parked mode)? Is there an iOS version of LSLite to try with? Couldn't find one.

Don
The next release of LeafSpy Pro for iOS will support the LELink Bluetooth 4.0 LE OBDII adapter which is much easier to use as everything is automatic. It is also much lower power.

You can test out LeafSpy Pro for iOS by just joining the test group. Send an email to [email protected]. No need to buy to test the latest Beta iOS version.

Thanks for the invite to the beta. The listing for LELink on Amazon and eBay seem to be super minimal, Picture from only one direction, an interesting/odd side view of a see through housing, then a bunch of screen shots. Wondering if it has on off switch? Auto power down?. You say lower power use, how much power do the wifi ones draw, how much lower is the LELink bluetooth v4.0 and what does it make a difference for? Hard to imagine that a little wifi hotspot makes that much of a dent relative to nav, radio, lights, etc?, although yes bluetooth v4.0 can be super low power if it's enough for a little tracker tag (Kensington Proximo, etc) to run a couple months on a CR2032 battery. It looks like with the beta LSPro the VeePeak may work without problems. It's low profile, has an on off switch to enforce on/off w/o un/re-plugging (although haven't tested if it auto-powers down once the wifi device it paired with leaves), so having set up the VeePeak already, would there still be advantage to going to the LELink? LELink doesn't mention apps other than EngineLink (their own app?). Ikkegol also seems to have a bluetooth v4.0 adapter, also with its own designated app (at least one of the reviews claimed their device didn't recognize the ikkegol from the Bluetooth device pairing screen, only from within the Ikkegol app), if each adapter needs a specific app or ID/connection protocol to connect, that would tend to push me to keeping the WiFi VeePeak which will work with Torque and Dashcommand and many other choices. if I want to use it on a vehicle other than the Leaf.

donyjunk said:
Thanks for the invite to the beta. The listing for LELink on Amazon and eBay seem to be super minimal, Picture from only one direction, an interesting/odd side view of a see through housing, then a bunch of screen shots. Wondering if it has on off switch? Auto power down?. You say lower power use, how much power do the wifi ones draw, how much lower is the LELink bluetooth v4.0 and what does it make a difference for? Hard to imagine that a little wifi hotspot makes that much of a dent relative to nav, radio, lights, etc?, although yes bluetooth v4.0 can be super low power if it's enough for a little tracker tag (Kensington Proximo, etc) to run a couple months on a CR2032 battery. It looks like with the beta LSPro the VeePeak may work without problems. It's low profile, has an on off switch to enforce on/off w/o un/re-plugging (although haven't tested if it auto-powers down once the wifi device it paired with leaves), so having set up the VeePeak already, would there still be advantage to going to the LELink? LELink doesn't mention apps other than EngineLink (their own app?). Ikkegol also seems to have a bluetooth v4.0 adapter, also with its own designated app (at least one of the reviews claimed their device didn't recognize the ikkegol from the Bluetooth device pairing screen, only from within the Ikkegol app), if each adapter needs a specific app or ID/connection protocol to connect, that would tend to push me to keeping the WiFi VeePeak which will work with Torque and Dashcommand and many other choices. if I want to use it on a vehicle other than the Leaf.
Wifi adapters run around 100 ma. The LELink aroung 30 ma. When the Leaf is off the Wifi is still running unlike your Radio or Nav system. This only presents a problem if you do not use your Leaf for an extended period of time or your 12 volt battery is weak.

The LELink has no power switch. In reality no one is going to keep powering their adapter off and on each time they drive their Leaf.

The problem with WiFi is that iOS does not let LeafSpy (or any app) select the WiFi adapter. You must do this manually each time before you start up LeafSpy. A real pain. With the LELink you just start up the app and connection is automatic.

An app must support Bluetooth 4.0 LE to see the LELink. Most apps just use Bluetooth 2.1 which you need to pair with first and can't see the LELink as they don't have the necessary code. Over time apps will be updated to support both so that is why you will see Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapters providing their own app otherwise the user could not use it.

OK thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about powering off at least each day which would at least partially offset the 3x higher power use, and for sure on vacations, which is nice to be able to do rather than unplug (see warnings all over about unplugging too often, but is that just paranoia? would be odd to make a connector that fragile). Testing mine now with all phones not connected to its wifi network to see if it eventually sleeps, if not I'll probably return it for the iCar2 which seems to have both a power off switch and an auto sleep mode which would reasonably compensate for the higher power drain while on. Despite unplugging it yesterday it seemed to remember my static IP on the phone so I didn't have to re-enter everything. Yes I did have to select the wifi network again, but that's not so horrible.

Turbo3 said:
The problem with WiFi is that iOS does not let LeafSpy (or any app) select the WiFi adapter. You must do this manually each time before you start up LeafSpy. A real pain. With the LELink you just start up the app and connection is automatic.
Obviously just an annoyance but this is why I'm switching to the new adapter. When in the garage my car stays connected to the home wifi so I have to manually switch to the WiFi adapter's network which it stays connected to even after I'm done with LEAFSpy. BLE adapter arrived today and is working great. Just opened the app and it connected right up.

While only a 70 miliamp the difference between the two this does add up over time so it does help minimize the standby usage on the 12v battery which is certainly a good thing.

Turbo3, so is there really is no security with these adapters? Not a huge concern but not the best design, I'm thinking they were not expecting our use case of leaving them in the car all the time.

donyjunk said:
You say lower power use, how much power do the wifi ones draw, how much lower is the LELink bluetooth v4.0 and what does it make a difference for? Hard to imagine that a little wifi hotspot makes that much of a dent relative to nav, radio, lights, etc?, although yes bluetooth v4.0 can be super low power if it's enough for a little tracker tag (Kensington Proximo, etc) to run a couple months on a CR2032 battery.

From my understanding, it's less of a power impact to your Leaf and more to your phone. If you are transferring via WiFi, your phone battery will deplete at a faster rate than low-power bluetooth. Of course if you are plugging your phone up to the USB port, that power is sucking right back out of your Leaf.

My LeLink came today so I downloaded LeafSpy pro. But all of the instructions seem to be for wifi adapters. Am I missing something ? How do I connect this thing?

Jefe said:
My LeLink came today so I downloaded LeafSpy pro. But all of the instructions seem to be for wifi adapters. Am I missing something ? How do I connect this thing?
Assuming you have test version 1.1.5 installed all you need to do is plug the LELink into your Leaf and start up the app. Make sure you have enabled Bluetooth on your iOS device but there is no pairing needed. You won't even see it on the list of Bluetooth devices unless it is connected to Leafspy. LeafSpy takes care of the connection.

I have the version I downloaded straight from the App Store. So I'm assuming that won't work with my Bluetooth adapter.

When will you release the version that works with Bluetooth?

Jefe said:
I have the version I downloaded straight from the App Store. So I'm assuming that won't work with my Bluetooth adapter.

When will you release the version that works with Bluetooth?
You can send your email address to the email address on the About screen and I can added you to the Beta testers so you can install 1.1.5.

Hi,

I just bought the app recently, and love it. However, I'm still learning how to use it, and it seems as though since the last upgrade, I cannot access the Application Help (it crashes the program). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling in case there was an error with the upgrade, but it the issue persists.

Thanks,
Tim

Back