INPUT from previous EV1 owners (sic) & current AZ owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was quoted $700 per month for the EV1 here in AZ. At the time, the state offered a tax credit which only applied for a purchase. I think the lease rate in California was either $300 or $350 because of incentives.

I bought down the lease with a down payment of a couple thousand dollars from part of my trade in. It brought the lease down to about $350/month. I also considered the fact I was not paying for gas on a 50 mile roundtrip commute, plus other normal driving. I was in an 88 Jaguar which was not exactly on the cutting edge of fuel economy.

At the time I transferred from my Gen 1 to Gen 2 EV1 after the recall, the state had passed an $8200 'alternative fuel' credit. While it was grossly misused by people that modified SUV's to be 'propane' or 'natural gas' (which likely never saw a drop of either), the public was generally supportive of those of us with EV1's since they knew we had no choice but to run them as a real alternative fuel vehicle. At any rate with the $8200 amortized over 36 months, and the fact that we had essentially zero maintenance since GM covered batteries, brakes, tires, and everything else from lights to winshield wiper blades, it came out to be 'reasonable' even by early 2000's standards.

In addition it was incredibly fun to drive.

The tax credit I mentioned was prior to the alternate fuel mess. Since it only applied to purchase and I was not in position to trade in my Jeep, the quoted $700 per month lease was without a big down payment.

Obviously a moot point now. But, they did have someway to deal with the situation since I got it and as we know it was only available as a lease. (keep it quiet--don't want them to come after me 10 years after the fact :))

Well, no EV1 directly in the garage in the past but I drove quite a few and we have had a couple S10E's with the same drivetrain. I also used to park next to you at the car show in Scottsdale with either one of our trucks or my first gen Honda Insight (good to see you back).

I will say that most of the EV1 people I have ran into from the past who now own LEAFs (most people from ETEC have them now) say that it is a much better car... that was the very comment I had my first day of ownership; what we wanted the EV1/S10E to become. It is an EV1 with room for 5; 4 very comfortably.

With using the basic of efficient driving techniques I can get 100 miles on an 80% charge and around 120-125 miles at a full charge. And in the LEAF it has a great A/C, not one that is sending most of the cooling to the battery pack in the summer like in the EV1.

We have pre-cool which you can set just like it was in the EV1 or you can do it via a smartphone or internet.

For you I think you would feel at home. I will say that I no longer miss having one of the GM S10E's around...

Great post. Very helpful!!!! Was there a way to modify the magnecharger to have the Leaf, connector. I know I'm showing my ignorance. I'm guessing the 220 line at my house is useful, but is the charger adaptable?

Glad you are liking yours. Where did you purchase and what was your experience like?

aubergaz said:
At the time I transferred from my Gen 1 to Gen 2 EV1 after the recall, the state had passed an $8200 'alternative fuel' credit. At any rate with the $8200 amortized over 36 months, and the fact that we had essentially zero maintenance since GM covered batteries, brakes, tires, and everything else from lights to winshield wiper blades, it came out to be 'reasonable' even by early 2000's standards.

Wasn't that just on new cars that people bought? I didn't know it would count on a leased vehicle. I did testify though at the Senate hearing and told them to just allow dedicated vehicles instead of hybrids, but they didn't listen, the jerks, and just cut it off for everyone! Those unethical people that bought SUVs and then added tiny propane tanks ruined it for the rest of us dedicated users.

Hello Mr AU-burg, glad to see you back. I was there your last Saturday night at the pavillions with your green EV1.

No the mangnecharger is basically a memory of the past, but the 40A 240volt circuit which is already in your garage will make installing an EVSE simple as it can possibly be. Heck, you probably would not have to even pull a permit. Not sure if it's too late or not, but the EV Project is giving out free chargers in exchange for your usage information.

I have no real direct experience with the GM products from back then, but the Leaf seems to be a very well built car and an excellent drive train. It definitely does not have the quirks of a mostly hand built car, it's the real deal mass produced car. I stopped by ABC Nissan yesterday for a few minutes and stole a few watt hours of power, they seemed to be pretty inviting, but then again I ended up showing the sales man, who happened to stroll by, a few little things.

turbo2ltr said:
I went to several dealers documenting their charge stations for this map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&safe=on&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218079117614166715880.00049aeefb8b1a9407bb4&ll=33.431441,-111.938324&spn=1.287017,2.772675&z=10 and had no problems.
I notice that the note on Bookman's Country Club charger that you need a ChargePoint RFID card. Can you elaborate on what it is and how one can get it? I went to chargepointportal.net to try to sign up for an account for a charge pass but it requires me to activate a Charge pass but I don't know what serial number to put in the box. So I'm stuck there because all I was trying to do is create a new account so how am I supposed to get a SN to put in the box yet?

Will a Blink RFID card work just as well? Or does it have to be a ChargePoint RFID card? I've just requested my Blink RFID card today, but based on other posts, it looks like everyone is waiting for it and nobody has gotten it yet expect for Skywagon.

I was just at Bookman's this afternoon on my way somewhere and I wanted to check out their charge point, but some ICE car (a PT Cruiser) was already parked there blocking the way, so I couldn't try it out and I could only drive by to confirm that there's one there.

Also I remember seeing post where somebody said that Monti's Restaurant on Mills Ave in Tempe (ASU area) also has a couple of charge stations in place. My only question is that whether those parking spots are reserved for restaurant's patrons only, or anybody can park and charge there and not have to eat at the restaurant. I also wonder why these stations don't show up on Carwings.

One note about Coulter Nissan's 2 charge stations. I just picked up my Leaf from Coulter last Thursday. Ron told me that those 2 charge stations are open to anyone, even if they didn't buy from them. However, they said that during after hours, they do pull up a truck into those 2 spots to block access to them (I guess for security). But they said if you plan to charge there on a particular day during after hour, you can just call them and ask that they leave some room open for 1 charge station so you can squeak through and grab a charge after hour.

leafkabob said:
aubergaz said:
Which PHX dealership did you work with? How was your experience and ongoing support?

Welcome Aubergaz. I purchased from Coulter Nissan and at the time I place my order in December, 2010, they were the only Phoenix area dealership that seemed to be willing to offer any kind of significant price discount. They may be your best bet on price. Talk to Ron Jackson or Rich Harris. And do a search for the thread "Post your Order Details Here" to see what kinds of deals people are reporting.

What Phoenix really seems to be missing is a Mossy or Fontana or Boardwalk type dealership, where the sales folks are really enthusiastic about evs, and the leaf in particular. :cry:
I also bought from Coulter Nissan, and when I placed my order on 2/24/2011, they offered the same discount as leafkabob got, so I took their offer. I did call Avondale Nissan but they only offered MSRP. I also called Power Nissan in Tempe and in Chandler and they didn't offer discount below MSRP.

When I picked up my LEAF from Coulter last week, Ron Jackson asked me to spread the word that they're still offering a discount just like before if anybody's interested.

I was afraid that would be the answer on the Magnecharger. I have completed the questionnaire relating to the charger, but have not heard anything. I don't know if you actually have to have a purchase order before they consider it.

Thanks for all of the input. Still looking for more and contact from any former EV1 operators.

The sharing has been useful. My Leaf order went in about 3 days ago!

aubergaz said:
Thanks for all of the input. Still looking for more and contact from any former EV1 operators ............snip
I'm curious - why do you only want input from "PREVIOUS" EV1 drivers ... why not PRESENT DAY EV1 drivers:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.915376,-122.334664&spn=0.000813,0.000676&t=h&z=21

. . . . . . . or maybe you thought there aren't any? All you gotta do is know where to look.

shhhh ... don't let the cat out of the bag
;)

EDIT:
btw ... the google "street-view" mobile only BEGAN to launch in 2007, in case any one thinks the photo(s) are antiquated.

ev1.jpg

Note how the street view shot is taken maybe 100 feet south west from the satellite shot ... so for what ever reason, someone either pushed or drove it just around the corner.

Skywagon said:
With using the basic of efficient driving techniques I can get 100 miles on an 80% charge and around 120-125 miles at a full charge. And in the LEAF it has a great A/C, not one that is sending most of the cooling to the battery pack in the summer like in the EV1.

Woah. I presume that's not at freeway speeds? And AZ is flat? There's no way I can do it in hilly SoCal.

cdub said:
Skywagon said:

Woah. I presume that's not at freeway speeds? And AZ is flat? There's no way I can do it in hilly SoCal.

Yes, and fairly flat. On the freeway I see around 90-100 miles range at an average of 62 mph or so.

Getting back to using the AC in Phx AZ ..Im a hypermiler and I have gone from a 130+ to a 110+ with the AC on..

Hi Arizona LEAF enthusiasts!
Came across a Az Nissan dealer who is advertising SIX 2011 LEAFs for sale! I couldn't believe my eyes! I called the dealer and he said they were in stock. Not sure if this is true, but if it is I would go for it! Wish I were closer than I would be going to get my second LEAF now! Pretty shocking and upsetting since I waited almost a year for my LEAF!
Avondale Nissan
http://www.avondalenissan.com/vehicle/search/new/?vStatus=1&vMake=Nissan&vModel=LEAF&vPriceMin=1&vPriceMax=1000000

Back