"Improved" battery chemistry; Is it real?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philkatz

A couple wk ago I posed my question into the Leaf organization; indicating I understood the proprietry issuue, but sought some indication that something was really being done beyond recognizing the prob and calling the solution "improved battery chemistry. Initially got a reply from a "Customer Loyalty Rep" (or similar title) saying that she would pose my question and have some reply in about 5-7 working days. After 5 days I pinged the rep again, and about a day after that got a response that said basically Nissan had nothing they could tell me "at this time". And (unlike the case w/ Volt when there was a heater/cooler issue) no connection "inside" the tech organization was given.

Given that a) we have substantial midsummer days in 90's here; b) there places just over the Cascades we could go (and have to recharge) that have mostly such days, and hotter yet; c) given the past hot-country capacity loss data; and d0 given the $5-6K re-battery cost announced, I conclude that "at this time" we'd better put the proposed Leaf purchase on hold until we see some new hot-weather data that projects 25% capacity loss at ~~5 yr, not 2. The video from Dalhousie indicates that substantial improvement w/ "one more" substance in the electrolyte is not impossible. But in the absence of tech info from Leaf, we've gotta see it for ourselves on these boards (which are in effect a parallel testing organization that can/will report, free of Nissan's corporate legal dept.)

Unlike myself, my wife (the principal driver of proposed Leaf) is not a techie, and emphatically disinclined toward user complexity involving timing to end the charge at 80%, monitoring to avoid holding 100% for an extended time, etc. What she really wants is "fer-sure" 50 mile round-trips, even using the AC, w/o hunting down a open charging station.

With our Volt, we plug into the 240V, look at the hours to a full charge, and forget. And especially w/ prospective two cars to shuttle at our charging station, the intensive "tending" of the Leaf's battery seem over-much. If 80% charges are best to preserve capacity, Leaf has got to give that back as a setting on the user interface. Pretending it doesn't matter to preserve mileage ratings just doesn't inspire confidence; looks like marketing over substance.

Basically my wife was convinced; we'd met neighbors who liked their Leaf's, and this sale was Nissan's to lose. So far, I think their attitude and info release on this hot battery prob, has overweighed their incentives.

My original post that opened this thread:

Model yr 2015 LEAFs are said to have the "hot battery" technology originally promised for the spring of 2014. Buzzwords like "improved battery chemistry" are seen. . . . nowhere have I seen what is improved. I've asked otherwise knowledgeable dealer reps who sell a lot of Leafs. I've queried somewhere in Leaf organization. So far all I'm getting is along the lines of "I'll pass your question along to _____" or "Get back to you in 5-7 business days".

Does anyone have real info that indicates Leaf has actually done something to improve higher temp battery durability. I live in Seattle and while temps are moderate in general, we do have a couple months of 80-90F in Summer, and some days above that. And . . . east over the mountains (not that far),. . . .

Understand Nissan's need to protect proprietary technology, but you'd think corporate and the patent folks could figure out how to say something beyond "new and improved chemistry".

Forgive my skepticism, (re possibility of) . . . . stating the problem and naming a solution, whilst searching for someone or some organization to actually invent that solution.

There are statements from Nissan executives and spokesmen who say that the 2015 has new battery chemistry that is tolerant of heat. Much of that conversation is here on my nissan leaf. I haven't searched to find a link right now.

If you're in Seattle, you don't have to worry about heat, you have the ideal cool climate that is the comparison point. Battery degradation has been very fast in places like Phoenix Arizona. The comment from Nissan has been that this new battery chemistry is so heat tolerant that is will degrade in Arizona as slowly as the old chemistry did in Seattle, meaning that heat isn't affecting it as much and degradation is based more on usage and age rather than temperature.

Nissan has refused to officially list this as a feature of the 2015. This seems to fit a pattern with Nissan where they don't even want to admit that battery degradation has ever been an issue. If they list the improved battery that would have them admit that the old battery wears out quickly as a result of heat.

We're all eager to find out how the new 2015s handle the heat. Hopefully we can get data from a GID meter (LEAFstat, LEAFSpy, etc.) to show how 2015 batteries in hot climates handle the rest of this summer. That evidence will do more than any statement from Nissan. I'm sure Nissan is eager to see real world results as well.

Battery chemistries in general for EVs are being kept close to the vest. Battery chemistry is key to determining who will make a successful EV with decent range at a price people will pay. I thought there had been discussion that the separators were coated with ceramic in the new chemistry, however a regional executive told me the change was only to the electrolyte. If Nissan does have a magic stew that lets them cheaply build a battery that doesn't require a thermal management system, they may have a leg up on the competition.

in the era of global climate change, one cannot say that Seattle is immune to degradation by heat. it has been in the 90's here all week. We do hit 100º and we do have sunshine. All of that means we do have degradation.

an indicator can be time based degradation. there is a pretty wild swing of reports on losing the first bar where the typical can be 40,000-50,000 miles but also have some with less than 20,000.

like every area, there are many micro climates here with large differences in temperatures so a lizard battery would be just as helpful here in 80% of the areas (not all of us can afford to live on the water)

Yesterday I was working in Aberdeen and Hoquim. I left town at 7 PM and it was 70º. By the time I reached Lacey at 7:45 PM, it was 89º

Unfortunately, as dm33, we really don't know what was changed to make the battery more heat resistant and all EV manufacturers (minus Telsa), keep their battery designs under high security. We do know the original lithium-magnesium design is not great a high temperatures (hence what has happened already). I believe the two floating ideas was a change in the separators or electrolyte but we don't have any concrete information. The new chemistry is supposed to degrade at a normal rate (so states like washington, oregon, and massachusetts, etc. degradation).

I seriously doubt you will get any info from dealerships or even nissan leaf hotline. Either they don't have the info and those that do are not going to share it. The only parameter we can get is real world testing with people that own a 2015 leaf and seeing how their batteries last in comparison to the old batteries.

dm33 said:
There are statements from Nissan executives and spokesmen who say that the 2015 has new battery chemistry that is tolerant of heat.

The exact words were:

Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates.

Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates.
And everyone gets a trophy.

I farted around with 80% charging for two years in an effort to keep the battery from degrading. Guess how that worked out.

I doubt we'll get details. As mentioned, the separator was one item of concern; it was thought that a ceramic separator material might do better in high heat. Another area of focus in the alchemy of Li-ion batteries is the electrolyte. Small changes and additions can have big effects. The trick is in coming up with ways to rapidly test the permutations without having to exhaustively cycle test cells to end-of-life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qi03QawZEk[/youtube]

Yep, I always go to dealers for unbiased, truthful, accurate information! :lol:
Remember, we were also told by Nissan that Phoenix heat was a non-issue when degradation first raised its head, and that the battery had been extensively tested in that climate... Until we have a track record - or at least a lot more information - for the Lizard, I would not call the jury in...

mwalsh said:
For what it's worth, dealers are being told that heat-related degradation will be a "non-issue" starting with the 2015 model year, but I don't know what kind of detail they're getting beyond that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
in the era of global climate change, one cannot say that Seattle is immune to degradation by heat. it has been in the 90's here all week.

I think the big difference though, in states like Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc is the nighttime temperatures. For at least 5 months out of the year it rarely drops below 80* here at night, when many of us are charging. At least the northern states get to cool their packs a bit at night. :(
As many others have already said, Nissan is not going to give you any more information than you have already heard/read here. Only time will tell how much better the new battery chemistry is. I'm sure that eventually, in 1-2 years, we will have a new "Stoaty2" graph that predicts the new chemistry's degradation.

philkatz said:
MY2015 LEAFs are said to have the "hot battery" technology originally promised for the spring of 2014. Buzzwords like "improved battery chemistry" are seen. Maybe I've missed it elsewhere on these boards, but nowhere have I seen what is improved.
Are you looking for the exact change they did and exactly how it improves the battery (in terms of # of cycles before degradation) ?

As you can imagine - this would be called highly confidential in any company.

evnow said:
philkatz said:
MY2015 LEAFs are said to have the "hot battery" technology originally promised for the spring of 2014. Buzzwords like "improved battery chemistry" are seen. Maybe I've missed it elsewhere on these boards, but nowhere have I seen what is improved.
Are you looking for the exact change they did and exactly how it improves the battery (in terms of # of cycles before degradation) ?

As you can imagine - this would be called highly confidential in any company.
Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that we have a significant and legitimate use for that information.

Tesla got the right idea, and said we need to work together for EVs to succeed. Keeping everything proprietary and confidential just inhibits growth opportunities.

As a consumer, I tend to trust absolutely nothing the manufacturer claims. If they specifically list out anything that's legally enforceable, such as warranties, I'll consider it. If the EPA, IHS, NASA, whoever, do a test, and release not only the testing parameters, but the results, THEN I'll start trusting the information.

Nissan blindly claiming it "should be better" means nothing. Tell me how it's better, so that I can verify that it's better.

Nubo posted this link to a video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qi03QawZEk[/youtube][/quote]

That is one great tech presentation. Though I'm a retired R and D type, I never worked in any area of battery chemistry, and never understood dip squat about modern batteries. Learned a lot in 2 hr of watching. Thanks for posting the link.

In the video, the presenter indicated that a (unrevealed, proprietary) 5th additive, improved thermal survivability in one instance over a 4-additive battery. This makes it seem at least feasible that Nissan could have worked the thermal prob w/ "improved battery chemistry", beyond just throwing sales buzz-words at it. But we (MY 2015 buyers) are still beta testers of that improvement.

Y'know, w/o revealing the proprietary chemistry mod or any other physical changes, Nissan could present thermal test data; MY2015 batteries vs 2014 and earlier. There is always a legal dept person to say "Never reveal anything about faults of something you had to upgrade, lest it enable claims by owners of the old version". Otoh look where that got GM on the ignition-switch issue.

keydiver said:
Only time will tell how much better the new battery chemistry is. I'm sure that eventually, in 1-2 years, we will have a new "Stoaty2" graph that predicts the new chemistry's degradation.
I wouldn't count on that... unless Stoaty needs to buy a Lizard battery. :lol:

I live in the Phoenix area and asked Nissan to lease us one with the new battery before they released them for real consumer testing but they only wanted their internal people to test it. They told us it was kept at 140F day and night and passed a 1 year test. They would not say what passed was.

We have a few people that got a battery replacement under warranty and were told they have the new Heat Tolerant Lizard battery. We use GID meters and SCAN GAUGE and Leaf Spy to check the capacity so we may know after this summer. I don't think the 2015 LEAF comes to our area until September. My 2 year lease on our 2013 is not up until April so we can get one of the new ones and check it in 2015.

Our 2013 FORD Focus EV has been great with no capacity loss in almost 2 HOT summers. Liquid cooling is reall good but does take more energy and charges best out of the garage at night in the open air. If not the fans and heat all stay in the garage. Nice is winter but not good in the summer. A friends Tesla Roadster was the same way. We have to charge outside not in the closed garage. Nissan may have the best design in the long run.

mctom987 said:
jstack6 said:
They told us it was kept at 140F day and night and passed a 1 year test. They would not say what passed was.
I interpret that as "did not burst into flames"
I assume this is a joke.
There are major differences between the battery chemistry used in different EVs. The Tesla pack is more volatile and could conceivably burst into flames if kept uncooled at 140. The LEAF on the other hand will not burst into flames even if placed in flames. There's information online about a LEAF caught in a forest fire. The entire car is burnt to a crisp, but the battery did not ignite.

It took roughly two summers for the real world loss to be clear enough to most* of us. I'm assuming it will take that amount of time for any loss to be readily apparent with the new chemistry.

*There were quite a few people, both here on this forum and within Nissan, who denied the rapid capacity loss the first time as ether "normal and expected" or a BMS "software" issue.

jstack6 said:
I live in the Phoenix area and asked Nissan to lease us one with the new battery before they released them for real consumer testing but they only wanted their internal people to test it. They told us it was kept at 140F day and night and passed a 1 year test. They would not say what passed was. ...

Whatever the failure was regarding hot-weather testing of the original cells, I wouldn't be surprised if the pendulum then swung far to the other side - i.e, rigorous and exhaustive testing before releasing the 2015 cells. I don't think anyone wants to have to explain a repeat of that fiasco to Mr. Ghosn. Something else might get screwed up, but the hot-weather battery issue is probably properly addressed.

Back