If only Nissan was as accommodating...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

"Rosack initially wanted to do more with his own driving data than just view it on his phone. So he built what eventually became Volt Stats to capture this data, then started sharing it with other Volt owners. There was just one small problem: Volt Stats relied on Rosack's reverse engineering of an interface for OnStar's RemoteLink mobile application (iOS and Android). When OnStar moved to shut down the Web services interface Rosack had plugged into in mid-October, Volt Stats arrived at a screeching halt."

"Rather than leaving Volt Stats stalled on the roadside, GM and OnStar accelerated efforts to give developers a new public Web API to create services on top of OnStar data. The companies even worked with Rosack to get him onboard and get Volt Stats re-launched. Now, Volt Stats is back online and other would-be car data hackers will soon be able to connect their Web applications to GM owners' vehicle data (provided, of course, that they have privacy policies that meet with the approval of GM and OnStar lawyers)."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/onstar-gives-volt-owners-what-they-want-their-data-in-the-cloud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is great news.
Now if we can just be allowed to reverse engineer the OK button on the Leaf.
Come on Nissan just leak a work around and let the user decide if we want to permanently hit OK.

Servicing a car is difficult enough, especially when the dealers are not told
how the various systems operate and interact. Even handling my
"original" LEAF (no firmware updates) might be a challenge for them.

Dealing with a hacked vehicle is almost impossible, because
the dealer would never know for sure what has been changed.

Indeed, that is the basic problem with writing anything to the
CAN bus, that one rarely ever can guarantee exactly what
was written, and what was not, or what lasting effect it might
have had on the vehicle.

For example, if one tries to tell the car to charge to 95%, but due
to a bug in the car's software, the car tries to charge to 105%.

One can never totally guarantee how the car will respond to
any new command, or an old command with a different
parameter, or a command given at an unexpected time.

you dont think Nissan is accommodating with adding SOC to 2013's (JPN version. can only guess we will get that as well?)

i think Nissan has done very well in tweaking the car (albeit slowly in some areas) each MY has been changed and not just various trim items and color common in "mainstream" cars

Usually, SOC is just another "tank-fullness" indicator, not a "fuel-amount" indicator.
But, marginally useful, similar to the original Fuel-Bars, but not as coarse.

It remains to be discovered what they are actually representing
with this new displayed quality, in spite of what the call it.

When the "tank" has shrunk to 83% of the original size (capacity),
after a full charge, will this value show 100%, 95%, or 83%?

garygid said:
Usually, SOC is just another "tank-fullness" indicator, not a "fuel-amount" indicator.

imm; unless they show what is left from the original capacity, it would be better but not desirable. there is a dozen threads here about people bemoaning their range and the primary reason seems to be the GOM

i lent TaylorSF my SOC meter for two reasons. the obvious; get his data. He is a perfect example of what I and others will see down the line. I want a better idea of what I can expect.

the other reason was to give him peace of mind. The meter lends a lot towards understanding the power consumption of the car. knowing you have an EASY 3 or 4 miles or whatever at the bottom of the pack makes all the difference in the world and that is 99% of the value of the SOC meter. it literally gives you an additional 5 miles of range.

Best way I can put it. before the meter; I would stress out over the last 5 minutes of my journey. After the meter; I start planning my route loosely in my head AT THE BEGINNING and during the trip knowing ahead of time how far it is.

on a 70 mile trip, its a lot easier to adjust your driving with 40 miles to go to get a few more miles than at the end it is when you only got 10 miles to go.

DaveinOlyWA said:
...its a lot easier to adjust your driving with 40 miles to go to get a few more miles than at the end it is when you only got 10 miles to go.
Oh there are SOO many things in life that this is true for. Like fixing Social Security, reducing the deficit, paying down your credit card, surviving an unexpected financial hit in your household, etc.

If only this concept was drilled into children daily at schools...

padamson1 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...its a lot easier to adjust your driving with 40 miles to go to get a few more miles than at the end it is when you only got 10 miles to go.
Oh there are SOO many things in life that this is true for. Like fixing Social Security, reducing the deficit, paying down your credit card, surviving an unexpected financial hit in your household, etc.

If only this concept was drilled into children daily at schools...

hey you might be on to something there!! lets have Nissan concentrate their marketing on the Boy Scouts!! but then again, that might upset the Gay Crowd. wow, the PC thing really sucks. cant get anything done! ;)

garygid said:

+1. What I would really like to know is one number -- how many watt-hours of useable energy I have at my command at any point in time. I would trade that for all of the eye-candy currently on display.

Nubo said:
garygid said:

+1. What I would really like to know is one number -- how many watt-hours of useable energy I have at my command at any point in time. I would trade that for all of the eye-candy currently on display.

+1 which is why i got the GID meter. guessing 3rd party metering market will be brisk for a long time. hope to be proved wrong here in a few months...

Back