ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped in at the Tumwater Quick Charge last night just for fun. Filled up just fine, everything seems to work. I talked with two people interested in the electric car and the charging system infrastructure. I also went inside to purchase a snack and talk with the attendant who was interested in the charging patterns of LEAF owners.

It was difficult for me to use the connecting plug. I don't think I ever used the big lever even though when I put it in the car, I squeezed it to be sure it was up all the way. I'll have to look again at the instructions that came with my fob.

Having used it, I'm thinking it will be interesting to see if the SAE has a better method (if I ever see one). Anyway, glad to (re)confirm that the Tumwater link in the electric highway is operational.

rdhauser said:
Stopped in at the Tumwater Quick Charge last night just for fun. Filled up just fine, everything seems to work. I talked with two people interested in the electric car and the charging system infrastructure. I also went inside to purchase a snack and talk with the attendant who was interested in the charging patterns of LEAF owners.

It was difficult for me to use the connecting plug. I don't think I ever used the big lever even though when I put it in the car, I squeezed it to be sure it was up all the way. I'll have to look again at the instructions that came with my fob.

Having used it, I'm thinking it will be interesting to see if the SAE has a better method (if I ever see one). Anyway, glad to (re)confirm that the Tumwater link in the electric highway is operational.

have to agree with the bulkiness of the plug. i can see a lot of women and older people having troubles with it. its not an easy thing to handle.

rdhauser said:

Having used it, I'm thinking it will be interesting to see if the SAE has a better method (if I ever see one).

Please don't confuse the Yazaki handle with ChadeMo. Yes, that handle design is clunky, but it just happened to be first. There are several other designs already on the market. Here's one from Fuji:

d616d096.jpg

Here's the Sumitomo design that will be on my ChadeMo DC chargers:

6b-1.jpg

Just got my fob from Aeronvironment yesterday, had fun reading instruction for QC...
Something like "and in one motion push the plug in and at the same time pull it out" I wonder how that really works ;)
That's probably why you had difficulties you didn't push and pull at the same time ;).

rdhauser said:

lc96 said:
Is the parking spot clearly marked? The spot at Edmonds PCC used to be iced "all the time" until they painted the pavement. Haven't seen an ice there since.
I am a thousand miles south of you folks, but I can corroborate that painting the charge station parking spaces white or some other color really seems to work, much more effective than signs alone. I was at Ontario Mills Mall, CA on a very busy Memorial Day weekend with a large, crowded parking lot, and the three L2 spots up front, painted white, were all clear. Where you are having ICEd problems, I encourage you to suggest this change.

I used the Tumwater QC today. I did not find the plug a problem at all. It was easy and free. :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
rdhauser said:

have to agree with the bulkiness of the plug. i can see a lot of women and older people having troubles with it. its not an easy thing to handle.

Reddy said:
Just saw blue Leaf "PLUGZEN" (WA plates) at a hotel in town. Did someone actually make it from out of town? :cool:

Reddy

Probably bad form to reply to an older message, but...

This was no out of town trip - my in-laws were moving and staying there between houses. We were the first in the Tri-Cities (we're in Richland) to get one (and perhaps this half of the state?). Not sure how or why, but we were among the first batch delivered. Finally starting to see a couple of others running around town...

For those that don't know, the next "big" city around the Tri-Cities area is at least an hour one-way (Yakima or Walla Walla) so an out-of-town Leaf would be interesting.

Greg

Cool. Maybe we'll get a "real" out of town visitor soon: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8879

Yes, I also saw your car at Winco, last year back before anyone else in town got their deliveries. I've seen two silvers, two blues and the black one, not bad for the number in town.

I've managed one trip to Prosser and two toward Walla Walla, but that's it. I've remotely contemplated other trips, but keep getting stopped by the long L2 charging required after the first 80 miles. The dealer mentioned that someone drove to Yakima (and then realized that it takes a long time to recharge).

I'll give you one guess as to the color of mine ;)

Reddy

Hello all, first time poster, having just read through the bulk of this interesting thread. :)

We're looking hard at buying our first LEV. While most of our driving would be within a 10 mile radius from North Capital Hill in Seattle, I'd very much like to be able to get to Spokane via I-90 on occasion without having to spend an extra day charging up en route. So, I'm leaning heavily towards either picking up 2012 SL for its quick-charge option, or perhaps waiting for the 2013 with its 6.6 kwh charger. Would welcome any thoughts other PNW Leaf owners have on this.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any experiences others have travelling across WA via I90 or I2. I'm hoping we're at or close to having it be a doable 1 day trip.

Regards, Dave

Welcome Dave, I have a 2012 SL and am loving it (traded up from a 2011 without CWP). The heated seats are key to extending range. the 2013 isn't too far off and will have an efficient heat pump heater for less power hungry climate control heating, which, IMHO is more tantalizing than the 6.6 charging option. the 3.3 is ideal for overnight charging and the growing quick charging network is the key to going further faster for longer trips. IMHO, the 6.6 is just an attempt from Nissan to being one upped by the Ford Focus. I don't think it's realistic to expect to make it to Spokane without many hours of hard to find charging any time soon. I don't think anyone has attempted it yet. In time though, momentum for Quick Charging will undoubtedly build toward a string of QC's out to Spokane, especially now that folks are getting a taste of just how amazing quick charging is. Good luck with your choice, weather you go with the 2012 or 2013, I would highly recommend the CWP and QC port.
cheers!
George

DaveHanson said:
Hello all, first time poster, having just read through the bulk of this interesting thread. :)

We're looking hard at buying our first LEV. While most of our driving would be within a 10 mile radius from North Capital Hill in Seattle, I'd very much like to be able to get to Spokane via I-90 on occasion without having to spend an extra day charging up en route. So, I'm leaning heavily towards either picking up 2012 SL for its quick-charge option, or perhaps waiting for the 2013 with its 6.6 kwh charger. Would welcome any thoughts other PNW Leaf owners have on this.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any experiences others have travelling across WA via I90 or I2. I'm hoping we're at or close to having it be a doable 1 day trip.

Regards, Dave

DaveHanson said:

Regards, Dave

Your this close - wait for the 2013 with the 6.6 built in. It will cut your level 2 charge times in 1/2 and you will appreciate a bunch.

DaveHanson said:

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the group.

Sorry, but this trip is not doable in a reasonable time yet as far as I know. Closest route is

Seattle => Sultan (QC) => Skykomish (QC) => Leavenworth (QC) => Wenatchee(L2) => Moses Lake(??) => Ritzville(??) => Spokane.

Moses lake has lots of RV campgrounds, probably could find one that would sell you L2 charge from a RV hookup.

Ritzville? Don't have a clue about how to get a charge. Any ideas?

Time would be (roughly) driving time plus 30 minutes per QC plus 4 hours per L2.

6 hours + 3* 0.5 + 3*4 = about 21 hours, assuming no waits at the charge stations.

A 6.6kW charger (2013 Leaf) would halve the L2 charging time = 13.5 hours

Three QC stations at or near Wenatchee, Moses Lake and Ritzville would reduce it to 9 hours, assuming no wait at charge stations, which sooner or later will not be true.

Practical long distance EV travel probably requires much more range than a Leaf. A Tesla Model S 85kWhr could probably do it without recharge, if driving at 35 mph or so. A single fast charge at (say) Wenatchee could make this quite reasonable.

Amtrak has one train from Seattle to Spokane daily. Train travel is fairly low carbon, and could be made very low carbon by electrification of the trains.

WetEV said:
..... Practical long distance EV travel probably requires much more range than a Leaf. A Tesla Model S 85kWhr could probably do it without recharge, if driving at 35 mph or so. A single fast charge at (say) Wenatchee could make this quite reasonable.....
There's a Tesla charging station next to the ChargePoint L2's in downtown Ellensburg. Sorry, I'm only about $120,000 short, so I wasn't able to see if it is operational. :lol:

Reddy.

Has anyone tried the trip to try out the Wenachee & Leavenworth QC's?

I took a long weekend in Burlington area last weekend and drove from Kirkland to Burlington in the rain with 2 adults, 2 dogs and a full rear hatch area. It was great trip and the Burlington QC worked fine.

Thinking about trying trip over Steven's pass, but I see notes in Plugshare about the Skykomish QC being offline. Anyone get a recent charge?

Can't find any app that shows someone's gotten a charge at the Leavenworth QC. Anyone?

Lastly Wenachee - no QC there, but a couple of L2's referenced. Anyone use those?

the route 2 inauguration is tomorrow/saturday, the QC's are reserved for a caravan of EV's and ribbon cutting. By Sunday, it should be open season...the Wenachee QC should be operational.

blackleaf said:

I took a long weekend in Burlington area last weekend and drove from Kirkland to Burlington in the rain with 2 adults, 2 dogs and a full rear hatch area. It was great trip and the Burlington QC worked fine.

Thinking about trying trip over Steven's pass, but I see notes in Plugshare about the Skykomish QC being offline. Anyone get a recent charge?

Can't find any app that shows someone's gotten a charge at the Leavenworth QC. Anyone?

Lastly Wenachee - no QC there, but a couple of L2's referenced. Anyone use those?

Yes.. I was one of the ones who posted a negative on Skykomish plug share last Sunday. "Trip to Leavenworth ended here"

Before leaving home, Everett, I checked Aerovironment's web site for station status... all green. A quick top off at Sultan and on to Skykomish. Houston... we have a problem. As I pulled up to the station, I knew 50 feet away it was de-energized, as no screen display was showing.

I called Aero and asked "why does your real-time web site say this site is online, yet it's down?" The tech said there was an antenna problem and it went down Saturday. Sooo.. I did a 1 hour 220 charge and headed for home.

Monday morning I called Aero again and throughout the day spoke to 2 different managers about their "real time" web site. They said we shouldn't use the web site as a "real time" status yet because they are still working out issues with it. Also... there wasn't an antenna problem, it was a fuse plug in the cable that tripped. Apparently, as I have read happened in Oregon too, if you yank on the cord too hard it has a safety and cuts power. Someone a day or two earlier pulled it too hard. It requires a tech to physically service it.

Always call Aero before your trips if you must have a QC. They will tell you if the stations are really working or not.

Good Luck EV Club.

Also... The addition of the Wenachee station is a nice surprise. And it gets better... the Seattle Blink DC3 is online.

blackleaf said:

blackleaf said:

Yesterday there was a rally of 10 Leafs, one Tesla Roadster and a iMiev for the trip over to Leavenworth and Wenachee. As some of these cars had two QCs at Leavenworth, I think we can say that it is working.

There was a schedule to minimize waiting at the QC stations. I was second on the schedule. I charged in Sultan at the QC, then while traveling to Skykomish got a text message that the car read to me from EV0 that the Skykomish QC had a problem. When I arrived, the AV support had just reset the charger for the again (second or third time) and wanted another EV to try the QC, so I plugged in and it worked. After I got a full charge, we switched the QC back to EV0, which then was charging fine. Only comment was I was very careful in how I plugged it, didn't touch the lever at all while plugging in. Took a deep breath and headed up US2 to the pass. Climb was worrying, as I've never done climbing like this before, but it went well. Temp stayed at 6 bars, power stayed between 30 kW and 40 kW, except for a short bit at 50 kW. Speed was 45 mph in the steeper sections, and as traffic was light and as there are passing lanes this was fine. Probably was being too cautious.

Reached the top of Stevens Pass with 8 bars showing. Stopped to take a few pictures and look around. Might be the first Leaf over Stevens Pass? After about 10 minutes EV0 stopped behind me. He had left with 10 bars, had 6. We left at the same time, and for the first half of the decent to Leavenworth drove fairly carefully, ie speed limit. The last part, I was following EV0, and we didn't exactly hypermile. ;)

QC at Leavenworth to 80%, then switched to the L2 and topped back to 100% for the return. Watched the ribbon cutting, etc. Most of the other drivers continued on to Wenachee, I returned from Leavenworth. Traffic was heavy, just moved with traffic most of the time, raining fairly hard after crossing the pass. 4 bars at summit, 4 bars at Skykomish. QC to 80% at Skykomish, returned home with 2 bars showing.

I was surprised not to regain a bar on the decent from the summit of Stevens Pass westbound, as was running 10 kW to 20 kW of regeneration for much of the steep part of the decent.

Most of the drivers continued to Wenachee and returned to Seattle Saturday. Some stayed over to Sunday.

The key DC QC for this trip is the one at Skykomish. Need it for the pass eastbound, need it to recharge after the pass to get back to Seattle westbound. If it isn't working, use the L2 there and make sure you have enough to continue, 10 bars for the trip to Leavenworth should be fine. Remember you can also stop at the L2 at the summit, both eastbound and westbound.

Had fun meeting good people, driving, watching the ribbon cutting... A Wonderful day. :D

I love my Leaf, but I think of it only as an in-town commuter car. The whole issue of QC not working and reading about people's experience convinces me that road trips are a nice novelty but are very impractical. Personally, I think selling the image of the EV as capable of distance trips is misleading and we would be better off convincing people that they are the perfect vehicle for the routine commute back and forth to work. Most all of us have a second car for distance trips.

Back