ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I should go back through this post and read it throughly, my appolgies if I am coming off a little clueless, but is the DCQC in Bellingham the first publicly available DCQC in Western WA? If not, where would a SL Leaf owner w/ the Chademo option find one?

I agree on no big hole in Seattle. I'd like to get a cup of coffee at that Starbucks in Bellingham some day but, from Issaquah, I'll need a QC in the Marysville area first. Remember, QC is to 80% in 30 minutes. the last 20% still requires 90 minutes dependant on battery temp. I seem to remember being told this from the Nissan rep at the last drive tour here when I tried out their QC. I think it may also be on this forum.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I've made it to Olympia several times now with a few bars to spare. For folks in shoreline and north it should be doable. It is unfortunate that Bellingham was the first to open, it was just the first to make it through all the hoops. The fact that Blink isn't even putting up dates is appalling. I just hope that when the green highway is finished that there isn't a big hole in the Seattle area!

saywatt said:
As one who lives on a hill and drives to others frequently and knows the impact they have on the Leaf's range, I wish you good luck in getting to Bellingham, 88 miles from DT Seattle, with a single 100% charge. As a precaution, look out for that long drawnout hill between Smokey Point and Mt. vernon - both ways. :)

GaslessInSeattle said:
Bellingham is live!?!? I wish it were all ready to go yesterday but lets celebrate progress every step of the way and let our representatives know how crucial L3 is to mass adoption. Who's up for a treck to Bellingham? It will take conservative driving but it's doable! Let's show them how much of a difference these things can make by showing up and using them! If you haven't had a chance to see what it's like to "fill up" in 30 minutes, it's worth the drive just to try it out!

A night in Vancouver is within reach, wahoo!

Yeah, once those QC's are every 40 miles you'll be able to start with a 100% charge and top off to 80% pretty much all day long with minimal waiting, at least for day trips to surrounding areas. I plan on hitting the QC on my way into Bellingham for an 80%, travel around the town and then top off to 100% on the way out. you are welcome to plug share at my home and launch from here if you get the itch.

After Qcing a few times and seeing no change on the temp gauge I feel fine about doing multiple QC's in a day.

saywatt said:
I agree on no big hole in Seattle. I'd like to get a cup of coffee at that Starbucks in Bellingham some day but, from Issaquah, I'll need a QC in the Marysville area first. Remember, QC is to 80% in 30 minutes. the last 20% still requires 90 minutes dependant on battery temp. I seem to remember being told this from the Nissan rep at the last drive tour here when I tried out their QC. I think it may also be on this forum.

The only other one is in Olympia and is not public, though you can use it while "visiting" the DOT. If you call and ask nice they might let you use it a time or two.

RedLeader said:
I know I should go back through this post and read it throughly, my appolgies if I am coming off a little clueless, but is the DCQC in Bellingham the first publicly available DCQC in Western WA? If not, where would a SL Leaf owner w/ the Chademo option find one?

I do not believ Bellingham is live. Last I knew there was just a L2 at the spot where the groundbreaking took place. Anyone know differently?

GaslessInSeattle said:
I've made it to Olympia several times now with a few bars to spare. For folks in shoreline and north it should be doable. It is unfortunate that Bellingham was the first to open, it was just the first to make it through all the hoops. The fact that Blink isn't even putting up dates is appalling. I just hope that when the green highway is finished that there isn't a big hole in the Seattle area!

saywatt said:
As one who lives on a hill and drives to others frequently and knows the impact they have on the Leaf's range, I wish you good luck in getting to Bellingham, 88 miles from DT Seattle, with a single 100% charge. As a precaution, look out for that long drawnout hill between Smokey Point and Mt. vernon - both ways. :)

GaslessInSeattle said:
Bellingham is live!?!? I wish it were all ready to go yesterday but lets celebrate progress every step of the way and let our representatives know how crucial L3 is to mass adoption. Who's up for a treck to Bellingham? It will take conservative driving but it's doable! Let's show them how much of a difference these things can make by showing up and using them! If you haven't had a chance to see what it's like to "fill up" in 30 minutes, it's worth the drive just to try it out!

A night in Vancouver is within reach, wahoo!

I talked to a DoT rep last October during Plug In Day on Mercer Island and she mentioned that there is a lot that has to happen to get a QC station going; permitting, agreements with property owners, power availability, and so on. She said that locations that get through that process first would be the first to go live; that's probably why Bellingham is the first location :)

I've driven from Bellingham to Seattle and back my Leaf a couple of times now. Both times, I got a full L2 charge in Seattle and did a little charging mid way just to be safe. I think I could have made one leg on a single charge with a few miles to spare. Maybe I'll try that sometime this spring. I didn't go on I5, though. The second trip, last October, I got 5.4 m/kWh on the dash from Bellingham to Seattle and 4.7 m/kWh going back.

There are a few other Leafs in Bellingham. When I ordered, the local Nissan dealer said I was their 6th :)

Oh, it doesn't appear that there's been any work on the Bellingham QC since February 1st. I work nearby and walk by it on break almost every day. There usually are 2 or 3 ICE vehicles parked there, hopefully before it goes live they put up signs to discourage people from parking there :evil:

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I do not believ Bellingham is live. Last I knew there was just a L2 at the spot where the groundbreaking took place. Anyone know differently?
Nope, nothing has changed since the beginning of February.

I talked with the installers in January and they said the L2 was done, but it's still up wrapped in black plastic.

Wow, somehow I mistook an earlier post. :-(. Back to the endless waiting.

UhClem said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Nope, nothing has changed since the beginning of February.

I talked with the installers in January and they said the L2 was done, but it's still up wrapped in black plastic.

Should we be worried?
First it was end of November 2011, then end of February 2012, now its May 2012?
Hopefully the supposed influx of Nissan DC chargers will accomplish something here, but
are these other Chargers turning into vaporware?

klapauzius said:
Should we be worried?
First it was end of November 2011, then end of February 2012, now its May 2012?
Hopefully supposed influx of Nissan DC chargers will accomplish something here, but
are these other Chargers turning into vaporware?

These chargers are vaporware!!

JohnnySebring said:
These chargers are vaporware!!
Electricians were installing the Quick Charger pedestal today :D

2012-03-12_12-16-48_18.jpg

photo.JPG

Apparently it weighs about 1300 pounds. They were using a fork lift to place it. Can't see it in the pic but they had jack stands to hold it up while putting a gasket around the base.

They didn't know when it would be online, but at least it's getting closer.

UhClem said:
Apparently it weighs about 1300 pounds. They were using a fork lift to place it. Can't see it in the pic but they had jack stands to hold it up while putting a gasket around the base.

Wow - the BigFoot !

evnow said:
UhClem said:

Wow - the BigFoot !
No kidding, it dwarfs the L2 charger next to it :)

I stopped by again after work...

2012-03-12_17-50-59_296.jpg

Ooh, it looks on!!!

2012-03-12_17-46-28_828.jpg

OK, might as well find out what happens when you plug it in...

2012-03-12_17-47-53_39.jpg

Hmm, nothing, what's the screen say?

2012-03-12_17-46-34_596.jpg

Key fob? Looks like you have to have a magic key fob to activate it :(

Is this not an obvious error in charger location?

A L2 charger should NEVER be placed next to a fast charger.

Be sure to go back and take a picture, when all spaces near the DC are taken by Volts and PIPs, waiting their turn at the L2.

I expect you may have plenty of time to wait, as the L2 only "plug in" drivers will insist they have "just as much right" to park there, as DC BEVs do, and will be thoroughly conditioned to parking for hours to charge, and leaving their cars in front of the charger, after they are finished.

DC chargers should be placed where there is NO other attraction for the parking space, with a Large sign saying "ANY VEHICLE PARKED HERE WHILE NOT CHARGING WILL BE SUBJECT TO FINE AND TOWED".

Did you happen to try your Leaf's fob ? It may read some vehicle info from it - just a SWAG :D
Or, perhaps ask someone in the Starbucks about it?
UhClem said:

have to agree. each charger can only really service two spaces, the SAME two spaces. they should be able to service a total of 8 spaces in a 2 X 2 config. now 8 spaces is a lot in a gas station but there should be at least the option to service more than the two

saywatt said:
Did you happen to try your Leaf's fob ? It may read some vehicle info from it - just a SWAG :D
Or, perhaps ask someone in the Starbucks about it?
UhClem said:
Yeah, I tried my Leaf key fob, nada :lol:

Back