ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dino said:
IMO to be fair they should do it the same way as gas , $/energy unit.

They should get your mileage then divide it by the vehicles average miles/kWh to determine your energy usage and charge you per kWh. Then it would be apples to apples. Bigger vehicles or more miles will use more energy and be taxed more.

A flat $100 seems as ridiculous as implementing it prematurely.

larger electric vehicles should be billed more on their tabs, then the mileage surcharge added as well.

the national gas tax is pathetically low and it is reflected in the condition of our roads and bridges.

It doesn't make sense to have a sales tax exemption to encourage EV adoption and then add a use tax which will discourage EV adoption. It is fair to expect us to pay for our use of the roads, but the inconstancy just doesn't make sense as public policy.

SteveInSeattle said:
It doesn't make sense to have a sales tax exemption to encourage EV adoption and then add a use tax which will discourage EV adoption. It is fair to expect us to pay for our use of the roads, but the inconstancy just doesn't make sense as public policy.

says you!! speak for yourself! if not for the sales tax exemption, i probably would have been out of the market. the use tax, gas tax or whatever you want to call it is an ongoing cost associated with the convenience of having personal transportation and should be accessed.

the sales tax waiver is a completely different story. it is applied equally to all EV purchases. a use tax is based on use! use it more, pay more (at least that is the point of the argument against a flat rate $100 fee)

I like the appoach of paying for the road use as a variable component of the normal license-renewal fee (here in Oregon, the once-every-couple-years purchase of new plate tags). Owners of ICE vehicles in metropolitan areas are already required (although maybe cars less than X years old get a pass; I forget..) to obtain a "meets pollution standards" certification as part of the renewal process, which involves visiting a station where a connection is made to the car's network and having the state's equipment ask, "have you been a good little car?". The infrastructure for doing this (here anyway), is already in place, and I understand the cabled interface is standardized, so probably the EVs meet it already. It should be easily possible for the EV manufacturers to implement separate "miles driven within jurisdiction during XYZ time period" odometers that could be queried & reset at these stations in the same way as the "did your pollution controls work?" queries are done now, and for the answer, in miles, to be multiplied by some reasonable per-mile road use fee, which would be added to the tab renewal fee just like the current "clean air inspection" fees are. Heck, the fee could even be easily adjusted according to the weight of the vehicle.

Best of all, this system of road-use fees would be applicable to ICE cars too, as long as they had an integrated GPS, anyway. And I think it avoids privacy-invasion issues pretty well; drivers wouldn't be disclosing their destinations, only the fact of having driven X miles *somewhere* within the taxing jurisdiction.

The real problem is that we no longer collect enough in taxes to maintain the roads DVD this is the legislations knee jerk reaction to generate revenue.

National gas tax was last raised in 1993. Back then we drove more in cars that got much less miles per gallon and the price of life was 33% lower.

What we really need is to raise the gas tax and leave us EV'ers alone

What we really tax need is AV increase in had

Phone error...was kidding anyway. We should pay something but it should be use based but the part about raising gas taxes I am serious about

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
What we really need is to raise the gas tax and leave us EV'ers alone
Why should EV folks be left out of supporting transportation infrastructure?
What we really tax need is AV increase in had
Huh?

Bill

I'll go along with a gas tax increase - as long as it is used only for transportation infrastructure. Oh, and we do have a guzzler, but since the LEAF arrived, it spends a lot of time in the garage. Getting to be a hanger queen.

Bill

FairwoodRed said:
I'm curious, why are you against a per mile tax?

Because part of the tax will be in paying for a system to check the mileage.

But, then as I think about it, since I work from home and put few miles my cars, by-the-mile might be a benefit for me.

saywatt said:
FairwoodRed said:
I'm curious, why are you against a per mile tax?

Because part of the tax will be in paying for a system to check the mileage.

But, then as I think about it, since I work from home and put few miles my cars, by-the-mile might be a benefit for me.

so computing and collecting gasoline tax is free?? nooo, not even close. and not sure exactly what you mean by the cost.

the collection is simple and cheap.

when you register your vehicle you post an odometer reading. the additional mileage driven during the year from the last odometer reading determines miles driven for the year and you are billed accordingly.

it is the "honor" system of sorts and keep in mind, its the law to report your odometer reading when you sell the car, so lie about your mileage is ok because it will all catch up with you when you sell the car unless you can get someone to agree to sign off on an invalid reading knowing he will be responsible for the miles next year?

now, how much is that going to cost? it used to be the way they billed usage fees in Virginia, Michigan and Texas. granted, i dont live in any of those states now so things may have changed.

Does anyone know what is going on with the remaining L3 charging stations in WA?
Supposedly we have a DC quick charger in Bellingham now, but is that even operational?

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
klapauzius said:
Does anyone know what is going on with remaining L3 charging stations in WA?
Supposedly we have a DC quick charger in Bellingham now, but is that even operational?

I've heard May. Don't get me started.

May??? What the *&%$!?
<bites tongue>

Bellingham? What good is Bellingham? Can anyone from Seattle actually make the 88 mile trip up there in one shot?........maybe in Summer and if you upset freeway drivers by going 50 in a 70 mph zone!!!

They should put an additional one in Smokey Point. :x

Drivesolo said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
klapauzius said:
Does anyone know what is going on with remaining L3 charging stations in WA?

I've heard May. Don't get me started.

May??? What the *&%$!?
<bites tongue>

saywatt said:
Bellingham? What good is Bellingham? Can anyone from Seattle actually make the 88 mile trip up there in one shot?........maybe in Summer and if you upset freeway drivers by going 50 in a 70 mph zone!!!

People do live in Bellignham and I would be willing to bet there are already LEAF drivers there and once the rest of the I5 corridor DCQCs are in it will be possible to drive from Vancouver, BC to California......

Yes, but Bellingham just seems to be an odd location for the first L3 considering that Seattle is the test market.
QueenBee said:
saywatt said:

People do live in Bellignham and I would be willing to bet there are already LEAF drivers there and once the rest of the I5 corridor DCQCs are in it will be possible to drive from Vancouver, BC to California......

Bellingham is live!?!? I wish it were all ready to go yesterday but lets celebrate progress every step of the way and let our representatives know how crucial L3 is to mass adoption. Who's up for a treck to Bellingham? It will take conservative driving but it's doable! Let's show them how much of a difference these things can make by showing up and using them! If you haven't had a chance to see what it's like to "fill up" in 30 minutes, it's worth the drive just to try it out!

A night in Vancouver is within reach, wahoo!

As one who lives on a hill and drives to others frequently and knows the impact they have on the Leaf's range, I wish you good luck in getting to Bellingham, 88 miles from DT Seattle, with a single 100% charge. As a precaution, look out for that long drawnout hill between Smokey Point and Mt. vernon - both ways. :)

GaslessInSeattle said:
Bellingham is live!?!? I wish it were all ready to go yesterday but lets celebrate progress every step of the way and let our representatives know how crucial L3 is to mass adoption. Who's up for a treck to Bellingham? It will take conservative driving but it's doable! Let's show them how much of a difference these things can make by showing up and using them! If you haven't had a chance to see what it's like to "fill up" in 30 minutes, it's worth the drive just to try it out!

I've made it to Olympia several times now with a few bars to spare. For folks in shoreline and north it should be doable. It is unfortunate that Bellingham was the first to open, it was just the first to make it through all the hoops. The fact that Blink isn't even putting up dates is appalling. I just hope that when the green highway is finished that there isn't a big hole in the Seattle area!

saywatt said:
As one who lives on a hill and drives to others frequently and knows the impact they have on the Leaf's range, I wish you good luck in getting to Bellingham, 88 miles from DT Seattle, with a single 100% charge. As a precaution, look out for that long drawnout hill between Smokey Point and Mt. vernon - both ways. :)

GaslessInSeattle said:

Back